oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

6 hours ago, pnefc ok said:

Do Boro need to wheel and deal to make room or funds available for incomings or will you just be strengthening regardless?

Not where players like Wing are concerned. We don't need to sell as he's part of the squad and not on a huge contract, so if he stays, he stays and we utilise him in the squad rotation. For players like Assombalonga - who is on a big contract which expires soon - and Fletcher who is in a similar boat, though not to the magnitude of The Ass's deal, there's some decisions to be made. But the club have said they're in negotiations.

With all honesty though, none of us really know. And I'm guessing all you PNE fans are in the same boat. The pandemic will have had a massive effect on finances in football, which many fans don't seem to want to acknowledge. Gibson puts in as much as he is allowed with FFP, but we also don't know what how economic elements like Covid and Brexit will affect his Bulkhaul business, and the club's revenue will be down considerably without fans in the stadiums. 

We're in safe and shrewd hands with a local guy who loves the area and the club, so we know we'll be okay. But Boro have been trying to become a more self-sustainable club over the last few years because, frankly, the Gibson-effect can't go on forever. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

Daily Mail reporting WBA dropped interest in Duncan Watmore as they now want to strengthen the spine of the team.

Not sure if NW was askes about Watmore again post match. 

5 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

That Daniel Johnson has always looked good when I've seen him play.

Aye, I'd take him. 3 goals and 3 assists so far this season too. Quite like the younger lad Ledson at PNE as well. 

1 hour ago, Snowblind said:

Not where players like Wing are concerned. We don't need to sell as he's part of the squad and not on a huge contract, so if he stays, he stays and we utilise him in the squad rotation. 

I was thinking about this earlier and I don’t really see much of an upside to selling Wing. He seems happy, does a job can chip in with the odd goal and will be on relatively low wages.

Unless there is a lad ready to step up it would cost more in transfer fees and wages to replace him. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I was thinking about this earlier and I don’t really see much of an upside to selling Wing. He seems happy, does a job can chip in with the odd goal and will be on relatively low wages.

Unless there is a lad ready to step up it would cost more in transfer fees and wages to replace him. 

But we’d likely replace him with a better player which can only be good. Best case is someone comes in with a daft offer for Saville though and we can replace him. I’d probably replace both Wing and Saville with one replacement in midfield and a defender allowing McNair to also play in midfield. 

13 minutes ago, Borodane said:

But we’d likely replace him with a better player which can only be good. Best case is someone comes in with a daft offer for Saville though and we can replace him. I’d probably replace both Wing and Saville with one replacement in midfield and a defender allowing McNair to also play in midfield. 

Can see the logic of both to be honest. Suppose it depends what's available in January.

If we're after a CB I reckon it might be Sean Morrison from Cardiff after Warnock's comments and high praise for him. He's out of contract in the summer, so would be available for a small fee. 

Have we been linked with any CMs this window? Will try and collate a list of linked players like I did in the summer.

Edited by Snowblind
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, rutters said:

'Pearson, Johnson, and Browne' eh?

'Wheeling and dealing' you say:classic_unsure:

Wonder if a swap deal might be of benefit to all parties? I'd take any of those for Lewis

I think one of Browne and Pearson, would be perfect in our midfield especially the way we set up. On this season's form/stats I'd take Browne over Pearson. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I think one of Browne and Pearson, would be perfect in our midfield especially the way we set up. On this season's form/stats I'd take Browne over Pearson. 

Browne is a decent player who would fit in well with our team. I’d have to agree with you on this @DanFromDownSouth

8 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Browne is a decent player who would fit in well with our team. I’d have to agree with you on this @DanFromDownSouth

Although it's good to have a variety of options, I don't think Wing fits a Warnock style team. If sacrificing him meant bringing in someone like Browne, who in my opinion is very well suited to a place in our midfield, I'd bite the bullet.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Donnyboro said:

I’d love Alex mowatt to be one of the players he’s on about been out of contract in the summer he’s interested in.  A goal scoring/creative midfield who plays in the 3 

Always though he was a decent player too! Remember when Leeds sold him to Barnsley and was pretty surprised by that.

It would be interesting to know whether Lewis Wing feels any sense of loyalty to us, as the team that gave him his first EFL contract. If he does, he may want to stay and fight for his place, and show everyone how good he can be.

If not, I think a swap deal with Preston for one of their short-contract midfielders could benefit all parties. Wing can be great on his day, but those days are too far and far between at present. Our small squad and limited finances mean we need players who don't coast through games without affecting what's happening, as Wing often does.

• Tom locked this topic