oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

10 hours ago, Dynamo Kev said:

i guess only way we can do anything is if the players themselves act. if they all say for example we are not going and several major nations pullout of the tournament, then that is the best way imo. 

But of course the players aren't going to do that...they all want to play in major tournaments.

Its also unfair to expect them to pull out.

Call me a jaded cynic but I really don't feel there is a solution to problems like this. Sadly there are many countries in the world, ruled by cruel, barbaric (or at least severely unpleasant) regimes. Another sad truth is that we need to do business with many of them, either for economic or political benefits.

Ask them politely to be nicer and they just smile and ignore us. Threaten sanctions or cut ties and we lose any co-operation.

Makes it even more difficult when many of these regimes are supported by major nuclear / military powers like Russia and China. Basically means they can thumb their noses at us.

All the major sporting organisations are morally and ethically bankrupt. They don't care where events are hosted, as long as they put on a big spectacle that pulls in sponsors and TV revenue. Just look at F1 for possibly the worst example, holding races in Russia, China, Bahrain and soon Saudi Arabia. IIRC they also held one in South Africa during the apartheid era.

Going back to football in this country, I'm disappointed (but not surprised) at the lack of action by the FA and PL top brass on the racism issue. They must be aware that BLM has become a popular cause in the UK...but have chosen to leave it to the players. So instead of any strong supporting messages from the game's rulers, we have the guys on the pitch (some of them anyway) making what I feel is an ultimately futile gesture.

All they seem to do is have meetings with people to organise campaigns like Kick It Out and arrange for various slogans to be displayed on the advertising hoardings. But (to me anyway) these things just seem to operate in the background. I wonder how much of an effect they actually have.

While its not a top priority - or even necessary right now - it would have been nice to see a widely publicised joint PL / EFL statement, along with plans for increased surveillance at grounds, co-operation with the police to identify and punish violent or racist behaviour. 

Maybe they're already doing it - I don't know. But thats part of the problem, I feel. The row over funding and TV revenue got plenty of coverage. But we never hear much about what they're doing to tackle one of the biggest problems in the game.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

Jordan Archer is genuinely a bad player, I'd rather see Brynn play than him get a chance if something happens to Bettinelli.

A bit disappointed in Stoj not getting a proper chance here, I think he's just as good as Bettinelli but was never given a fair crack because of his communication. I really like St Pauli though so I'm glad he's moving to a great club, hope he smashes it there.

Signing this Jordan Archer fella leaves me scratching my head... would we not have been better just giving one of the keepers from a local team a contract until the end of the season? 
He looks utter garbage! 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Weasel said:

Jordan Archer is genuinely a bad player, I'd rather see Brynn play than him get a chance if something happens to Bettinelli.

A bit disappointed in Stoj not getting a proper chance here, I think he's just as good as Bettinelli but was never given a fair crack because of his communication. I really like St Pauli though so I'm glad he's moving to a great club, hope he smashes it there.

Yep think Stoj got shafted by not being the most fluent English speaker. Feel for him, honestly.

• Like 3

So we bought a goalkeeper for about 2m (which at the time, we really didn't have to spend). Warnock has then not played him, loaned him out, and brought in another keeper who (in my opinion) is worse than the one we spent 2m on.

And we've then signed another keeper who is worse than both of them put together to cover him?

Another disasterclass in squad building and financial management from the big brains at MFC.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

So we bought a goalkeeper for about 2m (which at the time, we really didn't have to spend). Warnock has then not played him, loaned him out, and brought in another keeper who (in my opinion) is worse than the one we spent 2m on.

And we've then signed another keeper who is worse than both of them put together to cover him?

Another disasterclass in squad building and financial management from the big brains at MFC.

It was 1 million and with his loan we are presumably saving his wages and putting him in the shop window. The 2. Bundesliga is a decent place. If nothing else he will come back match fit when Betinelli hopefully goes back to Fulham. I also assume that Archer is a cheaper option on the bench,

3 minutes ago, Borodane said:

It was 1 million and with his loan we are presumably saving his wages and putting him in the shop window. The 2. Bundesliga is a decent place. If nothing else he will come back match fit when Betinelli hopefully goes back to Fulham. I also assume that Archer is a cheaper option on the bench,

Bettinelli is out of contract this summer unfortunately BD so I would not be surprised at all to see him sign on permanently in the summer...

1 minute ago, Borodane said:

Even 1 million is a huge figure for us to p*** away at a time like this. Why would you buy a keeper in his prime if you weren't 100% certain he was going to be first choice for years to come?

It's an isolated incident, but we see this time and time again. £££ wasted.

3 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Even 1 million is a huge figure for us to p*** away at a time like this. Why would you buy a keeper in his prime if you weren't 100% certain he was going to be first choice for years to come?

To be fair, the issue here is the change in management. Under Woodgate he probably WAS viewed as a GK for years to come. Then Warnock comes in & has a completely different idea of what a good goalkeeper is. 

It definitely is money wasted, but it was because SG was backing Woodgate in January when he probably should have already been sacked tbh.

• Like 1

Archer is another on and off player. I'm sure there were times whilst at Millwall when he was playing really well and maybe even courting Prem interest. I think we might have been after him before too? Either way, I doubt he's gonna come in for Bettinelli unless he has a really bad game. By really bad game, I mean I think he has to take a few goal kicks and shoot them into our own goal.

4 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Oh I agree with that. But that is unfortunately the risk when you change manager. The new one might not like the same players. Unless you want Gibson, Bauser etc. dictate who the manager can use.

6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Bettinelli is out of contract this summer unfortunately BD so I would not be surprised at all to see him sign on permanently in the summer...

At least we won't pay a transfer fee and I can't imagine he'll be picking and choosing among big offers so will likely sign on sensible wages. 

7 minutes ago, Brunners said:

To be fair, the issue here is the change in management. Under Woodgate he probably WAS viewed as a GK for years to come. Then Warnock comes in & has a completely different idea of what a good goalkeeper is. 

It definitely is money wasted, but it was because SG was backing Woodgate in January when he probably should have already been sacked tbh.

Surely it was more a panic buy because we were suddenly losing Randolph rather than Gibson backing woodgate? 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Surely it was more a panic buy because we were suddenly losing Randolph rather than Gibson backing woodgate? 

Yeah actually that's more likely to be the truth.

• Tom locked this topic