• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

@diggerlad07 anything happening regarding incomings or outgoings? 

Nothing from me unfortunately sorry mate. With indoor football getting cancelled, I haven't had chance to see or speak to the person where I get information from.

Heard a little rumour last night from the podcast I do though (now heard the same rumour from 2 different people) that Britt has informed NW that he doesn't want to stay beyond this season and we have started to offer him round clubs in this window, but currently no takers.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Nothing from me unfortunately sorry mate. With indoor football getting cancelled, I haven't had chance to see or speak to the person where I get information from.

Heard a little rumour last night from the podcast I do though (now heard the same rumour from 2 different people) that Britt has informed NW that he doesn't want to stay beyond this season and we have started to offer him round clubs in this window, but currently no takers.

Thanks mate. Interesting if true about Britt. Makes sense to sell now. 

I would absolutely be selling Assombalonga and trying to bring in a target man if he's leaving in the summer regardless.

At the same time, I can't see many takers when they can get him for free in 6 months.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Thanks mate. Interesting if true about Britt. Makes sense to sell now. 

It does, but personally I can't see clubs paying a fee and big wages for him in this window when they can get him for free in the summer.

I think Britt knows he needs to wage a wage reduction regardless, unless he gets a move abroad.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

Don't we still have a years option on Britt?

I think we very well could have an option but at his current wages there is absolutely no way we would offer him anything like his existing package. If anyone wants him then I think Boro would be happy to agree to release him in January if they are not obligated to pay up the remainder of his contract.

He will likely have to settle for around 50% of his Boro wages to stay in the UK. Even then it would be unlikely in the current climate that any Championship Club would (or could afford to) make such an offer. A lower Premiership Club however may gamble on a three year deal on the basis that they can afford him at the moment and he may save them (very unlikely) or get them back up at the first attempt should they go down (still unlikely but they don't know him like we do) and will have parachute money to pay him next season and then sell him in the third year if they need to (provided they can get any takers).

His other choice is China, the Middle East or the USA where he may get the sort of money he has been enjoying on Teesside.

The option could give us some sort of minimal leverage in this window though. Otherwise there would be absolutely no way to get rid of him this Jan. Britt would be mad to leave us now rather than sit out his massive contract then be in a far stronger position to get another bigger contract next season with all the signing on fees etc. At least if we bluff our way into thinking there is an option we take up his extension then maybe we will be able to get some sort of fee now.

Doesn't really bother me Britt contract running down as we may see the best from him yet if he is working to attract interest and persuade another club to offer him the £35k a week he's currently on. We should say to him though if we are promoted he be rewarded with a new contract on current term's as an incentive! As a new contract is chicken feed if we are promoted. 

53 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I think we very well could have an option but at his current wages there is absolutely no way we would offer him anything like his existing package. If anyone wants him then I think Boro would be happy to agree to release him in January if they are not obligated to pay up the remainder of his contract.

He will likely have to settle for around 50% of his Boro wages to stay in the UK. Even then it would be unlikely in the current climate that any Championship Club would (or could afford to) make such an offer. A lower Premiership Club however may gamble on a three year deal on the basis that they can afford him at the moment and he may save them (very unlikely) or get them back up at the first attempt should they go down (still unlikely but they don't know him like we do) and will have parachute money to pay him next season and then sell him in the third year if they need to (provided they can get any takers).

His other choice is China, the Middle East or the USA where he may get the sort of money he has been enjoying on Teesside.

Rangers, Celtic?  Turkey?

10 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

That must have been in a parallel universe somewhere because Jones wasn't fit to lace Schwarzer's boots. I know at the time the club pedalled the story about how good Jones and Turnbull were and in his naivety Gareth went along with it but nobody in the North Stand ever remotely believed it.

I think you may be getting confused with Mark Crossley who had a decent run in the side and impressed the fans. He was considered unlucky by many at the time to lose his place once Schwarzer was back fit.

I'm not at all confused haha. Go back to the end of 04/05 season and some people seem to forget how much Jones played at a critical time in the season and he made a huge contribution towards scraping that 7th place finish at a time when we were at real risk of losing it.

It was a season full of injuries and Schwarzer wasn't free of that problem when he got injured in the warm up for a game against Arsenal at home. Jones went on to play superb in his absence.

He let in 3 goals in 5 games, one of those was Gerrard's volley at Anfield that he admitted was perhaps the best goal of his career. And Jones wasn't far off getting to it either! He kept clean sheets against Newcastle and, the best performance in that spell, West Brom. The game we won 4-0, we could have been 2-0 down before Nemeth got the first goal. Made a terrific save from a point blank header in the second half too.

Don't get me wrong, by and large Brad Jones was a rubbish keeper. But I remember quite clearly at the time when Schwarzer came back in, there wasn't a massive sigh of relief, it wasn't a case of thank God that didn't have to play any more games. There were some putting forward the case that we shouldn't rock the boat in an important position regardless of how good Schwarzer was.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, scotty189 said:

Britt for puscus straight swap 👍

Very much doubt Reading are going to agree to that. His wages are probably also bigger than we want to pay.

To be honest, I'd let Britt go on a free this month just to save his wages. As outlined in my previous post, his contributions haven't been anywhere near his usual this season - and we have Fletch coming back to fitness with Chuba also being more effective than Britt. Even as Captain you can tell his heart isn't here this season.

Sadly though, it looks like my dream of Luke Jephcott is a no go. Plymouth are refusing to answer calls from clubs about him. 

• Like 1
  • Tom locked this topic