oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

You know as well as I do, that won’t happen, Gibbo will get all excited if we go up and he’ll start splashing out on new players that aren’t quite good enough or past it, then we’ll go down and be lumbered with them. 

I’d personally prefer a slower organic path, keep the players, enjoy a good season in the championship next year, build confidence and go up automatically. Then we could try and stay up without overhauling the squad and losing our identity. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

Yeah Tav or Fry shouldn't be going for less than £20 million. We sold Traore for cheap really as he had release clause that shouldn't of been set at that level. But Tav would walk into any bottom half Prem side like Newcastle, Fulham, Brighton etc all be improved with him in their Midfield.

Edited by DurhamRed

We'd be lucky to get 5 million for Tav. 

He's very important to us granted and we certainly look a worse side when he's not playing, but one of the reasons for that is because we're not exactly blessed with attacking talent in the first place. 

The likes of Eze and Jarrod Bowen went around the 20 mark as some of the best attacking talents in the league.

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

You know as well as I do, that won’t happen, Gibbo will get all excited if we go up and he’ll start splashing out on new players that aren’t quite good enough or past it, then we’ll go down and be lumbered with them. 

I’d personally prefer a slower organic path, keep the players, enjoy a good season in the championship next year, build confidence and go up automatically. Then we could try and stay up without overhauling the squad and losing our identity. 

You could swap your two paragraphs around.

if gibbo is going to do it he will do it. I just hope with mess that was made in the premier and with monk that he has realised it doesn’t necessarily work.

I would be happy being a Burnley or West Brom for a few years 

I do believe the Prem is of worser quality now than it was last time we went down. So believe we'd be able to put up more of a fight. As to stay up we just gotta finish above Brighton and Burnley to be honest 

12 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Or we could try and get promoted now.

Which would also be an "organic" path that would build confidence.

Wanting to avoid promotion is nonsense.

If we sign anyone and don't get promoted, they'll still be here in 6 months and can help in the summer.

Makes absolutely no sense to deliberately not try and strengthen.

12 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

You make it sound so easy and as if it’s a given that we will be in a better situation next season. I just think it’s better to take advantage of the situation we’re already in. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Borodane said:

You make it sound so easy and as if it’s a given that we will be in a better situation next season. I just think it’s better to take advantage of the situation we’re already in. 

Sure it’s not easy but it is possible.

If we go up, of course I’ll be pleased, but if we don’t, I won’t be disappointed and I’d back these players with this manager to do even better next season. The majority of players are tied down on reasonably long contracts so we wouldn't lose any of them.

I’m just looking at the bigger picture, I think we can build on these foundations and become a competitive top flight side  if we do things the right way. 

Maybe I’m crazy, but those are my thoughts. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Or we could try and get promoted now.

Which would also be an "organic" path that would build confidence.

Wanting to avoid promotion is nonsense.

If we sign anyone and don't get promoted, they'll still be here in 6 months and can help in the summer.

Makes absolutely no sense to deliberately not try and strengthen.

It’s not nonsense it’s just a different way of looking at things.

16 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

It’s not nonsense it’s just a different way of looking at things.

I'd say it is.

If you're wanting to avoid promotion and signings now to avoid breaking up the team, that surely means that you'd want to avoid signings in the summer to avoid breaking up the team.

We're signing players in the summer whatever happens, the squad is going to get overhauled, and I'd sooner it was in the Premier League.

Warnock signed 6 players in the summer of the Premier League season with Cardiff, 2 of those were back-ups, it's not like he's known for ripping up squads.

Edited by TeaCider24
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'd say it is.

If you're wanting to avoid promotion and signings now to avoid breaking up the team, that surely means that you'd want to avoid signings in the summer to avoid breaking up the team.

We're signing players in the summer whatever happens, the squad is going to get overhauled, and I'd sooner it was in the Premier League.

Warnock signed 6 players in the summer of the Premier League season with Cardiff, 2 of those were back-ups, it's not like he's known for ripping up squads.

What I’m saying is, don’t rock the boat, we don’t have the money to pay big wages so let’s give our young team another year of playing together, let them improve even more under the astute tutelage of Neil Warnock.

If we lose any players in the summer, sure, replace them but no big overhaul. I’m a firm believer in coaching players rather than giving up on them and replacing them. Look at the difference in the players since Warnock replaced Woodgate, to me that’s  proof that Warnock can transform players through coaching and man management, he’s already expressed that this is the best group of youngsters that he’s ever worked with, let’s utilise those assets.

Maybe I have more faith in our current team than most, I’m not saying we should actively avoid promotion, but I’d rather this current crop of players developed into premier league players and made us all proud in due time rather than us scraping up via the playoffs, replacing half of them and then getting relegated and stuck with a load of deadwood. 

@BillyWoofs_shinpad I get where you are coming from.

But if we do get promoted this season I hope we go the route that Burnley (in 2014/15) and Norwich (2018/19) took. Obviously both ultimately got relegated and I'd love us to stay up at the first time of asking, but they both looked longer term. Neither spent millions as they half expected to get relegated anyway. But Burnley signed players that would be very good in the Championship and also had room to grow into good Premiership players with time. Norwich on the other hand importantly kept hold of their key players after promotion and importantly after relegation too.

But Burnley got relegated, then bounced straight back and then have had an extended stay in the Prem. Norwich got relegated, and are seemingly on course to bounce straight back. 

If that makes sense?

• Like 5

Just to add onto this, my point is I'd love us to have a longer term vision. Rather than getting to the Prem and spending hand over fist, getting relegated and then being stuck with some of those players again. Like we did when we got promoted under Aitor. 

On the Norwich point, the club management (board etc) have been really open about their plan. They pretty much claimed that they got promoted a season early, and because of that they tried to be incredibly sensible in their transfers when they went up. Admittedly they did sign some duds, but they didn't blow that money on them.

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

@BillyWoofs_shinpad I get where you are coming from.

But if we do get promoted this season I hope we go the route that Burnley (in 2014/15) and Norwich (2018/19) took. Obviously both ultimately got relegated and I'd love us to stay up at the first time of asking, but they both looked longer term. Neither spent millions as they half expected to get relegated anyway. But Burnley signed players that would be very good in the Championship and also had room to grow into good Premiership players with time. Norwich on the other hand importantly kept hold of their key players after promotion and importantly after relegation too.

But Burnley got relegated, then bounced straight back and then have had an extended stay in the Prem. Norwich got relegated, and are seemingly on course to bounce straight back. 

If that makes sense?

Cheers Dan, I’m glad what I’m trying to say makes sense to someone 😃

• Like 1
  • Tom locked this topic