oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

I have kind of accepted a play off spot might be out of our reach this season and with that acceptance my desire that we need players in Jan is also diminishing.

I think if we continue to show signs between now and the end of season then we can hopefully give it a good go next season with Warnock here.

I anticipate Marvin, Sav and Fletcher will sign a new deal and Britt will leave. With the right attacking options in summer we will look a more complete unit

NEW GK

Dijksteel, Fry, Paddy, Bola

Howson Sav

Tav, NEW, NEW

NEW

Then you got a back up that is hopefully along the lines of following

Stoj/Brynn

Spence, Wood, Hall, Coulson

Morsy, Wing

Watmore Fletcher Marv

Akpom

** I accept some people will leave but its futile right now suggesting who we might get bids for and not but point am making there is nucleus of a good time and hopefully Warnock can get the right players in the final 3rd to make us a more promotion chasing unit.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

Brit has until the end of the season and leaves on a free after we paid £15 million. Roberts sits around because NW does not rate him but won’t let him leave.
We bring in a goalkeeper we don’t need. 
Just missed a target because he signed for some else 10 mins before NW called him (guess that means NW original targets won’t or can’t sign now it’s B listers and hope) 

We have a squad that continues to diminish in value which in reality means, we are adjusting to life in the lower divisions, a club the town can afford. 

So nothing will change, but did we really expect it would. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

How can the squad be diminished in value?

All the back four, Tav, Folarin, and Watmore are all increasing in value. Probably even Morsy. If we wanted to we could generate funds. Instead for once we are trying to build a squad.

The fact some of the youngsters are going out in loan to be ready for next season is a huge positive too I think.

Regardless of what happens this season we are much better placed than in recent years.

Priory for me is a goal keeper and a good EFL level goalscorer to play alongside Watmore. 

• Like 5

I see Jordan Jones is not making the match day squad for Rangers anymore.

Dont think we had our annual transfer window link with him this time around mind unless i missed it.

I personally dont think he improves our starting 11 from when I seen him play but I know some on here, who maybe followed him more closely, feel he could add something.

1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

Brit has until the end of the season and leaves on a free after we paid £15 million. Roberts sits around because NW does not rate him but won’t let him leave.
We bring in a goalkeeper we don’t need. 
Just missed a target because he signed for some else 10 mins before NW called him (guess that means NW original targets won’t or can’t sign now it’s B listers and hope) 

We have a squad that continues to diminish in value which in reality means, we are adjusting to life in the lower divisions, a club the town can afford. 

So nothing will change, but did we really expect it would. 

😂😂😂

What a clown.

@Kelloe. I respect you greatly as a poster and hope you dont take this advice from me the wrong way?

I also dont agree with @sanddancer post but please dont call him clown. It will just become unsavoury and derail the thread.

@sanddancer is perfectly entitled to his views so if you going to disagree please do it respectfully.

• Like 9
12 minutes ago, Kelloe said:

😂😂😂

What a clown.

On the basis that losing Britt and Fletcher due to them being out of contract potentially represents £21.5 million gone and the unlikelihood that the club can spend even a quarter of that on their replacements would indicate that the squad is diminishing in value.

It's a trajectory that has been evident since we started shipping out the hastily assembled Premiership squad followed by Monks bonanza then Pulis "balancing the books". Throw in the Summer of Woodgate and the "Golden Thread" where a yarn was spun to the gullible and there is a general trend which if plotted on a graph only goes in one direction.

• Like 2

But Britt and Fletcher were never actually worth what we paid. Quoting their purchase price to explain a decrease in value of squad makes no sense.

By the same measure Fry and Paddy have increased in value more than those 2 have dropped. As have Tav, Bola and Dijksteel.

26 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I see Jordan Jones is not making the match day squad for Rangers anymore.

Dont think we had our annual transfer window link with him this time around mind unless i missed it.

I personally dont think he improves our starting 11 from when I seen him play but I know some on here, who maybe followed him more closely, feel he could add something.

I don't think Jones has the ability at this level so I wouldn't want to bring him back. Then the off field issues that led to him leaving Boro in the first place don't seem to have improved any at Rangers.

We have had some of the best from the Old Firm that seriously struggled down here before in the Championship. That he can't even force his way into Gerrard's thinking tells me where his future level is.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I don't think Jones has the ability at this level so I wouldn't want to bring him back. Then the off field issues that led to him leaving Boro in the first place don't seem to have improved any at Rangers.

We have had some of the best from the Old Firm that seriously struggled down here before in the Championship. That he can't even force his way into Gerrard's thinking tells me where his future level is.

He was banned for 7 matches after attending a party, he's not even made the bench since. Before that he'd finally got back in to the side and scored.

He's burned his bridges, but it's not just down to ability.

Funny thing is, dozens of players have done the same thing in the top flight in England and gotten away with it without punishment.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, edinboro said:

But Britt and Fletcher were never actually worth what we paid. Quoting their purchase price to explain a decrease in value of squad makes no sense.

By the same measure Fry and Paddy have increased in value more than those 2 have dropped. As have Tav, Bola and Dijksteel.

Until we realise whatever another club is prepared to pay for them we can only estimate what we think their value is worth. McNair wasn't cheap and until this season he looked just about OK for the money we spent.

We spent a million pounds Goalkeeper now out on loan replacing him with a nomad in footballing terms (Stoj is still on the books but not in the squad). Then there was the ridiculous fee paid for Saville (not his fault nor Britt's come to that). If you think that the squad isn't decreasing in value then you are entitled to your opinion but I only see a downwards trend.

The sale of Bamford probably was the defining reality from which we haven't altered direction then we have Randolph's replacement who wasn't to the same monetary value (or ability). Without doubt we have some good prospects but that doesn't alter that we are now trying to buy cheap and sell high as oppose to years of buying high and selling low. I haven't a problem with following that business model, it's how we existed for decades before SG arrived, selling the likes of Souness, Mills, Johnson and later on Pallister etc. but to me the value trend of our squad is a diminishing one.

7 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

He was banned for 7 matches after attending a party, he's not even made the bench since. Before that he'd finally got back in to the side and scored.

He's burned his bridges, but it's not just down to ability.

Funny thing is, dozens of players have done the same thing in the top flight in England and gotten away with it without punishment.

He was banned from driving after a dangerous piece of driving around Glasgow which showed his decision making isn't particularly clever not to mention being irresponsible and selfish with scant regard to others. Thankfully he didn't kill anyone like others in the profession before him have.

It's sad that the likes of Merson, Gazza, Maradona and Best etc. all had their demons but were still able to perform and function, the majority crash and burn, destroying their careers in the process.

Merson, Gazza, Maradona and Best had their demons but were brilliant players. Jones is immature and has little natural talent to compensate for his indiscretions. Not much correlation between him and the others, IMO, and very little reason for us to spend money we don't appear to have on him.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Kelloe said:

😂😂😂

What a clown.

Do you ever actually have anything to contribute other than laughing at people or calling them names? 44 posts on this forum and the most substantial comment you've made is asking if we were after Marcus Maddison one transfer window. 90% of your comments are pretty much the same as this one. I think @TLF10 is being generous saying he respects you as a poster, to be honest.

• Haha 1

Is it just a Boro fan thing to spend hours and hours every transfer window discussing the merits of signing old players, or do other clubs fans do it too? Genuinely curious.

Is it just because people have heard of those players? Do people not watch any other football?

The whole wide world of footballers available and we're still on Jordan Jones...?

• Tom locked this topic