oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

Zach Clough must still have some quality somewhere, could be worth a trial situation. Warnock could easily mould him into another gem like with Watmore, literally all we need is for him to finish these chances.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

Zack Clough at Bolton was a really good young player. But for whatever reason he's not had a look in at all at Forest. My maths could be wrong on this, but Forest have had 5 different managers since he signed and barring only really Mark Warburton giving him anything like regular game time all the others haven't touched him. Add on top of that, he hasn't played in over 18 months (April 2019) and he couldn't make a starting spot his own when he was shipped out on loan to Rochdale, personally I'd steer clear.

I wouldn't be adverse to us doing something similar to Watmore, where we invited him upto train and have an extended trial almost. Get him to prove that he is worth a short term contract, if he isn't upto scratch then we can move on without any financial burden. But straight up signing him is a no from me.

• Like 3

Potentially related news for us. Villa are close to signing Morgan Sanson from Marseille, he's a central midfielder. So I think that is probably the green light for Hourihane and Lansbury to leave Villa either on loan or on a permanent. Not sure it is a position we desperately need, I'd have a winger/wide player as top priority. But sometimes the pieces don't always fall exactly how you want them.

But Hourihane would be a great addition to our midfield, he's a different option in terms of his goal threat and creation, but he can also break up play well too. Comparing him to Saville, Howson and Morsy he won't put the same defensive numbers in, but having him dictate play and create chances either as part of a 2 or as part of a 3 would be his main role (so to speak). If he came in, I think that would spell the end of Wing for this season at least.

If we think longer term Pearson at Preston (Yet to sign a new deal) would be a great addition to our midfield as a defensive midfielder more in the mould of Morsy and Howson. This season statistically he is actually outperforming both Howson and Morsy on the more defensive side of things (Tackles per 90, interceptions per 90 etc)*. Howson will be 33 when this season ends and 34 when his deal next season expires, so a bit of forward thinking and we could bring in Pearson (in the summer) with one eye on squad depth next season, but then one eye on him replacing Howson for the season after. Obviously in football it is never quite as simple as that and we know Boro aren't the greatest when it comes to long term planning, but just my thoughts.

*But he has played less minutes, which may skew the stats.

• Like 1

Out of interest, I just went onto the Premier League website to see how much transfer activity has taken place in the Promised Land so far in January. There are lots of players being released or sent out on loan, but this is the complete list of PL incomings as of last night (the 18th of January): 

Arsenal: Omar Rekik (Hertha Berlin)

Burnley: Benn Ward (Hastings) 

Crystal Palace: Rob Street (Torquay) Loan 

Manchester United: Amad Diallo (Atalanta) 

West Bromwich Albion: Robert Snodgrass (West Ham) and Andy Lonergan 

West Ham United: Frederik Alves (Silkeborg) 

Nearly two thirds of the way through the transfer window in the World's Richest League (c in a circle) , and a grand total of seven players have been signed, two of whom are from non-league. No wonder Boro haven't signed anyone if this is the state of the market, and I don't blame Gibson for once - clubs don't want to splash any more cash on signing fees and wages in case they get locked down or the season gets abandoned.

The Scottish Championship this season is a truncated 27-game league, yet they're still holding a vote this week on whether to abandon what's left of it. If our Championship went the same way, no chairman is going to want to be paying extra wages over and above what's already contractually obligated.

I fear it's a case of 'what we have we hold' until the summer. Then we might see clubs actually doing some business.

• Like 4

When hourihane is on the pitch for villa he takes their set pieces. Ahead of grealish and targett who both have very good deliveries. If we managed to get him in it would be a massive coup for me as although Paddy's deliveries are decent, they're not consistent and set pieces are probably our best avenue for scoring goals. All for this one if it has legs 

@RiseAgainst - Great post.

People are being naïve or outright daft if they think the money is there for any barring the elite clubs to just fork out on transfers this window. All regular reasoning is out the window. 

FFP has been relaxed, but we as fans have no idea as to what the accounts look like at the club for the 19/20 and 20/21. Gibson gets a lot of stick. But one thing he has always done is ensure that this club stays afloat, which is no easy feat as evidenced by the struggles of clubs like Portsmouth, Bolton, and Wigan.

We've taken a big step in the right direction. Some fans need to give their head a shake and remember where we were last season. If we'd been offered 7th place and 4 points from the Play-Offs at the halfway point before a ball was kicked this season, can anyone honestly say they wouldn't have snapped that hand off? Even moreso if it was offered in the latter days of the Woodgate era...

• Like 4

I think Man City have signed someone as well.

What’s worth noting is where the money has gone.

None of those are teams buying from the Championship.

I think until that happens the transfer market will remain quite flat in the championship.

I am not expecting it to burst into much life but I think a few more deals will happen. 

1 hour ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

@RiseAgainst 6 players, if you consider Diallo was signed by United in the last window.

Edit: 5 players, Rob Street went out on loan to Torquay.

Fair points - I was basing my stats on the transfers listed on the PL website, which admittedly doesn't cover the specifics of each player's backgrounds. For instance, Andy Lonergan was a free agent until December when he got to spend some time with Stoke.

With quite a few of these players being snouted out from the lower leagues, I wonder if the values of more established players have absolutely nosedived in the last year? It's hard to imagine Man United would be willing to pay £70 million for Harry Maguire in today's market. Or maybe clubs, players and agents are hoping if they wait for the storm to pass, business will resume as it was a year ago, with values unaffected.

4 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Ravel Morrison has the greatest agent in football in talks over a move to Derby.

Assume he doesn’t mind not being paid.

I think at this time he's pretty much just the footballing equivalent of the Littlest Hobo, sadly without the usefulness or the great theme song.

• Tom locked this topic