oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

45 minutes ago, p_mards said:

That wildcard winger from abroad will be looking all the more appealing now that the planned transfers have fallen through.

I know it’s going to be disappointing if we don’t go up this season but, in all honesty, I don’t think we deserve to get promoted as we just aren’t consistent enough. If Warnock stays for next season then I think we’ll see a far better balanced squad that can perform consistently, so I’ll be confident of our chances of promotion. Even if we don’t get promoted this season, I’ll be comforted by the fact that we’ve made huge progress under him and he’ll surely improve on our weaknesses after another Summer transfer window.

The wildcard winger would also have to self isolate for 10 days upon arrival in the UK. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

After a pretty shocking weekend let's put a few positives out there. Fry will probably only miss the rotherham game, fletcher is back so gives us something different up top. Roberts needs to grasp this chance with tav out for a few weeks. Was anyone really expecting much from this transfer window so the 2 deals lined up that won't go through heyho. If we sign a winger I'm happy. We're 3 points off the play offs.  It's been a fantastic season so far.

• Like 2

Safe to assume this winger we had lined up is not Nelson of Arsenal then. He did not make they squad v Saints on Saturday with they naming naming two GKs on bench instead of him.

13 minutes ago, Boromir said:

why do most English clubs not sign more international players? I mean Huddersfield and Norwich showed that it is possible to reach promotion with a bunch of german second league players. It is probably more complicated now after brexit. But signing Kuhlwetter from Heidenheim or Dursun from Darmstadt seems a lot cheaper than buying other CS players. Also we probably can pay them higher wages than what they are currently getting.

The Brentford heirarchy are gunning for promotion this season because it's the last season they can operate with their current recruitment model in its entirety. Many of the players they've signed from Europe wouldn't get Work Permits with the new system post-Brexit. 

Europe will still provide better value for money, but the reality of it now being harder to get permits for European players means it'll be much harder for British clubs to complete deals. The full spectrum is yet to be seen, but it's clear that recruitment in football, especially outside of the elite level, will be affected in Britain. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, uncle_rico said:

The wildcard winger would also have to self isolate for 10 days upon arrival in the UK. 

That winger would also have to live up to the strict new Brexit rules. It's pretty difficult to sign players from outside the biggest leagues in europe now. Gone are the days of Brentford picking up Benrahma and Leicester picking up Mahrez in Ligue 2. It'll be very difficult for Championship teams to recruit. 

I understand that we had long talks with WBA re a loan deal for a player, unfortunately Alladyce is unable to bring in his replacement so it never got completed. Albion have played this very close to their chests so I do not know a name but I would guess it would have been Matt Phillips, as I believe he is operating on a contract extension at the moment and would have been unlikely to have it renewed. Shame I like Phillips even if he has lost a degree or two of his pace.

Roberts won’t be getting anymore game time now then he was before. Johnson, Watmore, Spence and probably even Coulson are all more likely to start. Not to mention Fletcher will probably be ahead of him aswell as he can play out wide. The lad can’t get on the pitch when we are losing and have 5 subs.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

Tav has played every Championship game this season, only 3 times has he had to come onto the pitch from the bench but when he's been on the bench, he's come on. So he's not been out of the side on plenty of occasions.

I'm not saying this means Roberts is definitely going to be starting games and take Tav's place in the team for sure whilst he's out. But that's all but an ever-present player who is gonna be missing for a few weeks in the same area of the pitch that Roberts plays. If he can't get into the team during that time, he might as well not be here.

I thought he'd been out more than that, maybe it's because it's more obvious when he's not playing that it stands out so much. Anyway, the point still stands, when he's substituted off he's not replaced with Roberts generally - it's not a one or the other situation and hasn't been all season.

17 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Roberts won’t be getting anymore game time now then he was before. Johnson, Watmore, Spence and probably even Coulson are all more likely to start. Not to mention Fletcher will probably be ahead of him aswell as he can play out wide. The lad can’t get on the pitch when we are losing and have 5 subs.

Coulson has been well and truly frozen out since he gave that penalty away and I have a feeling Spence will be getting the stick after not tracking his man for the Blackburn goal. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snowblind said:

The Brentford heirarchy are gunning for promotion this season because it's the last season they can operate with their current recruitment model in its entirety. Many of the players they've signed from Europe wouldn't get Work Permits with the new system post-Brexit. 

Europe will still provide better value for money, but the reality of it now being harder to get permits for European players means it'll be much harder for British clubs to complete deals. The full spectrum is yet to be seen, but it's clear that recruitment in football, especially outside of the elite level, will be affected in Britain. 

That's really sad. I think for the forseeable future we can't really buy top-level proven championship players. So we have to rely on international and young unproven players. I was a little bit worried last season when our new signing like Bola, Dijkstell and Browne did not deliever. I'm much more positive about the future this season, I think we have a solid squad now. If we do some smart transfers next season can be great.

• Like 1
  • Tom locked this topic