oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

Warnock did also make it sound like it was either get Bolasie now or wait and hope for that guy to be released after Saturday.

Not sure we'll still try for him now, even if he does become available, but I hope we do.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It sounds to me like we're not willing to sit back and wait for them to make their mind up. Waiting until Saturday means we'd have Sunday and Monday to get them over the line. I can only imagine waiting until after those games is because their own business isn't going as well as they'd hope. So what happens if they don't sign anyone? We get nobody.

It's a big risk to wait it out at this point, I don't think we should play the waiting game unless the alternatives don't actually improve us at all.

We haven't played the waiting game, because we've got Yannick in to not be left empty handed. 

If we've agreed the financial details with the clubs & the players, and all are happy to proceed, leaving just their managers consent, if that consent comes late in the day on Monday, you'd expect us to be the 1st phone call with 1st refusual.  We then make a decision based on can we now afford them (or need them) if we've signed another/others.

I get a gut feeling this option will present itself with one of the two players, it just depends on if we're still interested. 

So not completely dead. 

1 minute ago, Mad_Dog_Poggy said:

We haven't played the waiting game, because we've got Yannick in to not be left empty handed. 

If we've agreed the financial details with the clubs & the players, and all are happy to proceed, leaving just their managers consent, if that consent comes late in the day on Monday, you'd expect us to be the 1st phone call with 1st refusual.  We then make a decision based on can we now afford them (or need them) if we've signed another/others.

I get a gut feeling this option will present itself with one of the two players, it just depends on if we're still interested. 

So not completely dead. 

So long as we are still the ones making the best offer, we will have first refusal. If somebody comes in last minute and changes the goalposts, we won't and we probably won't budge from a position we've worked hard to negotiate.

But like I said, I don't think we should wait, we should at the very least push forward with trying to make other signings if Warnock feels they improve us. We can still keep the others in mind whilst doing that but we shouldn't be relying on them when there are plenty of factors that can prevent them from happening which would leave us short.

3 hours ago, Borodane said:

I don't think we are in the position of signing players that a match fit. Every player we will be looking at will be someone who isn't wanted at their current club, or have played very few minutes this season. Unless of course you want us to buy someone we can afford most likely league 1 or 2. We're not in a position to bring in a match fit player from the Prem or Championship. Surely it's a huge gamble to take someone who hasn't played this season but so is continuing with Coulson, Spence and to a degree Roberts on the wings.

If we are looking at players who have been playing for the U23's they'll be match fit.

And yes, I'd be more than happy for us to be looking in League 1. PLenty of players are good enough, just look at Ivan Toney. He's made the step up no problem. There's the likes of Luke Jephcott who's been banging them in for Plymouth. 21 year old. You'd hope our scouts are looking at players like him.

Edited by uncle_rico
1 minute ago, uncle_rico said:

If we are looking at players who have been playing for the U23's they'll be match fit.

And yes, I'd be more than happy for us to be looking in League 1. PLenty of players are goed enough, just look at Ivan Toney. He's made the step up no problem. There's the likes of Luke Jephcott who's been banging them in for Plymouth. 21 year old. You'd hope our scouts are looking at players like him.

jesus he's only 21? I watch all the highlights (gives me a football fix without having to get sad about how bad we play sometimes) and I swear to god I always think he's like 30 or something. 

6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

jesus he's only 21? I watch all the highlights (gives me a football fix without having to get sad about how bad we play sometimes) and I swear to god I always think he's like 30 or something. 

I think Plymouth want £3m+ for Jephcott so that rules us out

Also worth saying that if the current PL transfer climate is anything to go off, the whole transfer system is at a pretty extreme halt.

January 2020, 17 clubs had made transfers by the end and most of those were clubs strengthening their first team. At the moment, only 8 clubs have made signings, with Arsenal, Villa, West Brom and Wolves really the only ones having really strengthened their first team squads. If we're relying on Prem clubs to make moves before time is up, I'm not at all convinced that the door will open for either of the two Warnock wanted.

47 minutes ago, uncle_rico said:

And yes, I'd be more than happy for us to be looking in League 1. PLenty of players are goed enough, just look at Ivan Toney. He's made the step up no problem. There's the likes of Luke Jephcott who's been banging them in for Plymouth. 21 year old. You'd hope our scouts are looking at players like him.

Aye, I mentioned Jephcott a few weeks back. Big fan. Sadly though Plymouth are refusing to even negotiate about him in this window. You'd hope we might be scouting for a potential summer move - though have a feeling it might be quite a high price. Especially if he carries on his incredible form.

1 minute ago, Will said:

I hope this is true. Kids been a revelation.

He said it was an abscess didn't he, and that he had stitches in. That sounds as though it is simply a question of a short time for the wound to heal and then he should be as good as new - plus he will have had a break which is a good thing this season.

5 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

He said it was an abscess didn't he, and that he had stitches in. That sounds as though it is simply a question of a short time for the wound to heal and then he should be as good as new - plus he will have had a break which is a good thing this season.

Warnock said it's all about how long it takes the stitches to knit.

I really think Djed Spence has been really poor and only heightens the loss of Dijksteel.

Spence was playing right back yesterday and at one point was losing the ball on the left wing in open play.

If anyone wants Spence, we should cash in because I just dont think the lad has any positional sense at all, just a liability at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Tom locked this topic