oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

34 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Correct. No disclaimers from me. And regarding the mocking I suggest you look back at the posts. Let’s see how many will respond to my invitation. Not too many I doubt.

It's all just a bit of joshing mate. We've all got to find joy and fun wherever we can at the moment 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

Sorry, I thought a message board existed to comment on matters involving football etc. You don’t like my views? Fair enough - to be honest - and unsurprisingly- I don’t agree with things others post. Equally, I respect their right to do so 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Sorry, I thought a message board existed to comment on matters involving football etc. You don’t like my views? Fair enough - to be honest - and unsurprisingly- I don’t agree with things others post. Equally, I respect their right to do so 

I respect your views, I just don't get your big hopes for him to fail

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

I dunno, with this one it feels more like you want him to fail to prove your point, which is what seems to be getting people's goats. I'd like to say I'm sure that's not the case but stranger things have happened.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, RichAcklam2404 said:

I see Ben Pearson has agreed a deal to sign for Bournemouth... I wonder if Preston reignite their interest in Lewis Wing

My ideal window. Sell wing for a good fee, get Mowatt cheap. Sell Britt for a few million (if he won’t sign) sign a cheap and good replacement or a loan ST. Sign new contract for Fletcher. Sign a solid RB 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Brunners said:

I'm not going to sit here and defend him like, I think he's been pretty awful. But even if we had possession the reason he could be over there is due to the previous phase of play so I still wouldn't necessarily hold it against him, I don't remember the specific instance mentioned.

It was a counter attack by us following a freekick for them that Blackman played downfield from their right hand side toward the edge of our penalty area if I remember correctly.  Spence was the one doing the counter attacking for us, which is why he ended up on the left hand side.  I think he carried it forward a bit, then played the ball left to Bola who was getting forward with him, and in turn made another run forward for Bola, down the line from him, so that he had someone to pass the ball to.  He did exactly what he was supposed to do.  No idea what anyone finds funny about it but then maybe they weren't really paying attention.  It seems to happen a lot on here 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

It was a counter attack by us following a freekick for them that Blackman played downfield from their right hand side toward the edge of our penalty area if I remember correctly.  Spence was the one doing the counter attacking for us, which is why he ended up on the left hand side.  I think he carried it forward a bit, then played the ball left to Bola who was getting forward with him, and in turn made another run forward for Bola, down the line from him, so that he had someone to pass the ball to.  He did exactly what he was supposed to do.  No idea what anyone finds funny about it but then maybe they weren't really paying attention.  It seems to happen a lot on here 🤷‍♂️

There we go, I figured there'd be a reasonable explanation. Thanks mate.

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

It doesn't feel right that Spence gets pulled up over odd instances every game yet Howson literally gave a Rotherham player the ball on the edge of our box and was, for me, just as culpable for the Blackburn goal the game before and I've seen relatively little about him in comparison.

The difference in experience, quality, wage; there are some players in our squad we have to expect better from and some we should be giving the benefit of the doubt and for me, I've seen both Wood and Spence get slaughtered in the last couple of games but very little about others around the defensive area of the pitch. Howson hasn't played well for at least the last game and a half, McNair for all his plaudits this season was just as beaten as Wood was last night in the battle. Overall as a unit, we are not defending well and that includes everyone, in particular those in defence and midfield.

For me, it's absolutely not a case of take Spence and Wood out, put Dijksteel and Fry back in and we're sound.

Yes Howson makes mistakes but he also does some really good stuff throughout the game so that's why he doesn't get criticised imo, whereas someone like Spence is sh*te for the whole 90minutes and offers nothing offensively or defensively.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

ouch sharp barbs there... 

That was just one example of many from the last few games and if you say that's the case then perhaps it was but there were other players ahead of him at that point when he moved the ball onto Bola and he didnt have to continue on that run over to the left hand wing but either way he lost the ball and was horrendously out of position which is a recurring theme with him. 

But I probably havent been paying attention.

Using some statistics produced by someone who has been paying attention, on average this season, Djed Spence loses the ball 15.9 times a game across all competitions this season and on average he wins a tackle 0.7 times per game. 

https://www.footballcritic.com/djed-spence/profile/219385#Defending

Edited by boksicdink

I want every player who pulls on the red shirt to succeed. 100%. However this guy I really do have an issue with. For a club on its knees financially I think he is a major risk and using up valuable resources - money.

As said I will hold my hand up however with Warnock already advising not to expect much I fail to see how a threadbare squad is enhanced by a player not up to speed. That would be the same whoever the player in question is.

1 minute ago, Robin Johnson said:

I want every player who pulls on the red shirt to succeed. 100%. However this guy I really do have an issue with. For a club on its knees financially I think he is a major risk and using up valuable resources - money.

As said I will hold my hand up however with Warnock already advising not to expect much I fail to see how a threadbare squad is enhanced by a player not up to speed. That would be the same whoever the player in question is.

But you don't know how much we're paying for him? It could be an absolute pittance compared to how much Everton are paying him. Also, didn't people say he'd been playing for Everton's reserve team? So he should at least be fit. Certainly fitter than Watmore was when he came in and that's made a minimal difference in the impact he made when he joined. Did you write Watmore off too when he came in?

• Tom locked this topic