oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

2 minutes ago, A21 said:

Lea

Leadbitters long raking passes were effective  under Karanka but I don’t see anybody bar Howson who can create from midfield. Personally I’d like to see Tav a little deeper, more central and running at defences.  

This has been one of my biggest annoyances since forever, I think when we played zenden and boateng was the last time I was happy with our midfield in an attacking sense, what a pairing that turned out to be!

I never really got into the whole ‘Clayton and leadbitter’ thing exactly because of this. Wayyy too slow to transition defence to attack. Even grant, if he wasn’t doing the long ball used to do these annoying slow rolled passes.

• Like 2
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

This has been one of my biggest annoyances since forever, I think when we played zenden and boateng was the last time I was happy with our midfield in an attacking sense, what a pairing that turned out to be!

I never really got into the whole ‘Clayton and leadbitter’ thing exactly because of this. Wayyy too slow to transition defence to attack. Even grant, if he wasn’t doing the long ball used to do these annoying slow rolled passes.

It was less of an issue in those days as we always played with a proper number 10 which helped bridge the gap, nowadays we essentially play with 3 holding midfielders and a huge gap up to the forwards. It's honestly far bigger a problem than any striker issues we may or may not have 

• Like 2
Just now, Aphex_Boro said:

It was less of an issue in those days as we always played with a proper number 10, nowadays we essentially play with 3 holding midfielders and a huge gap up to the forwards. It's honestly far bigger a problem than any striker issues we may or may not have 

100% this. Two holding midfielders can work if you have options ahead of them, especially a central option like a traditional 10, someone to link the play. Wingers/attacking midfielders moving inside with full backs overlapping just move opposition defences around and give options. That’s been our issue for years, the lack of forward options for the man on the ball.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, A21 said:

Bettinelli (if we have to)

Djiksteel, Fry, McNair, Bola

Howson, Morsey

Tav, Watmore, Bolasie

Glatzel or Juke

Would rather have a fully fit Fletcher up top over those two, think he'd win just as much in the air but would actually be some use with the ball at his feet. Think 4-2-3-1 really does suit this group though (sorry to use a Monkism)

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, A21 said:

I agree with you, although I believe Neil Warnock has said something along the lines of Paddy is ‘a great centre half but average midfielder’. He’d be so dangerous on the right of a midfield 3

I also agree with Neil , I would like him on the left of 3 centre halves , bringing the ball out like. Gibson did yesterday . I think we need a big lad to dominate in the air at the back , Hal could be this , but we need a back up , and similar up front . We don't have a threat at set pieces , and are vulnerable in our box .

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Aphex_Boro said:

Would rather have a fully fit Fletcher up top over those two, think he'd win just as much in the air but would actually be some use with the ball at his feet. Think 4-2-3-1 really does suit this group though (sorry to use a Monkism)

Fletcher is certainly more dynamic and I like him but he just never seems to impose himself enough, I’m not a fan of over aggressive forwards but he’s almost too nice, as if he doesn’t quite believe in himself enough. I think with his physical attributes the opposition defence should be worried about playing against him but I don’t think they do.

• Like 1
  • Tom locked this topic