oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

5 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

Grosicki is the better player I would say, but I feel like with the way we play Mendez Laing is probably better for us

Grosicki's age will catch up with him soon too.

I'd be happy with either.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, RiversideRed said:

1.png

😬

Only rumours about why it happened but I'm very uncomfortable diving into this one. If he was in serious breach of contract at Cardiff, I can't imagine our ideals are so different that we'd expect any less of him in whatever he did.

Perhaps shouldn't be forcibly kept out of football without any criminal charges but I kind of feel like if it was a breach of contract, if there's no explanation given, he's just gonna have a cloud over his head. I mean, what about our other players? I imagine they will want to know what happened, too. And if they don't know, will they put that to the back of their minds? If they find out and it is something they don't agree with, will they happily move on from it?

• Like 3
1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

😬

Only rumours about why it happened but I'm very uncomfortable diving into this one. If he was in serious breach of contract at Cardiff, I can't imagine our ideals are so different that we'd expect any less of him in whatever he did.

Perhaps shouldn't be forcibly kept out of football without any criminal charges but I kind of feel like if it was a breach of contract, if there's no explanation given, he's just gonna have a cloud over his head. I mean, what about our other players? I imagine they will want to know what happened, too. And if they don't know, will they put that to the back of their minds? If they find out and it is something they don't agree with, will they happily move on from it?

You'd imagine Warnock will know the reason. Either the player will tell him or his old Chairman at Cardiff surely?

• Like 3

If the Mendez-Laing issue was a failed internal drug test, him leaving the country & not signing for someone sooner might suggest he was dodging more official drug screening & wouldn't have passed a medical sooner, with another club. Maybe now his system is clear. 

Just a random conspiracy theory . 

Just now, RiversideRed said:

You'd imagine Warnock will know the reason. Either the player will tell him or his old Chairman at Cardiff surely?

There were worrying images shared on twitter at the time

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Mendez-Laing as a player would be quality. I have reservations about his character and whatever the hell got him canned from Cardiff though.

Yeah I'd be worried about that too...About the last thing we need is some one coming in upsetting the apple cart

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same issue as King.

Clubs don’t want to pay a fee and then give wages equivalent to a bosman signing.

players know they are just 6 months away from being able to ask more in wages.

personally I would be taking whatever contract is on offer now as the summer will be unlike any transfer market in recent history and players with too high demands will be out of the game.

Not just the wages either. Think about Marcus Browne. It’s ok holding out until end of your contract, but all it takes is one serious injury and if you have run your contract down you have no income for months, or potentially longer, and a much less marketable offer as no one will sign you without seeing whether you can get fully back to full match fitness. It’s not as though Brett has never experienced that either - I’m not suggestion he is injury prone, but he’s knows what it is like to be out for a long time. 
it’s a gamble at  any time but in current climate seems like a bigger one. You would think his agent would be reminding him of that as well, as his cut of the action depends on getting a deal through.

you can interpret “struggling” to agree wages and fee deal as miles apart and unlikely to agree, or as each side trying to hold out to get a little extra but always intending to get some deal settled. We’ve passed the initial threshold to allow the negotiations to get down to the detail and there’s always going to be wrangling. Brett won’t want to give up his current salary for next five months, Bristol won’t want to pay it and Boro won’t want to subsidize it. So I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s less likely that yesterday’s reports. It’s just the way transfers usually go, or don’t go if one side holds out too much and for too long.

14 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Well apparently Fisher had anger management issues at Preston if Warnock believes he can man manage players who have mental troubles am fine with it. As if he plays he is quality 

Well he certainly made a promising debut. Lets hope he can overcome whatever demons are troubling him. Always sad when talent is overshadowed by personal / behavioural issues.

• Like 2

I'm wary of Mendez-Laing, however he did come across well, and seemed genuinely repentant, in a recent interview. Spoke about his depression before and after his sacking, and how much work he's done on his mental health with his time away from football.

Obviously none of us know with any confirmation exactly what went on. But even with the rumours, I'd rather have him than someone like Ched Evans. Warnock knows the lad. If he believes he's turned a corner, then we should have at least initial faith in his assessment. Likely any deal will be heavily laden with clauses based around behaviours too. From a footballing perspective, it makes a lot of sense. 

• Like 6
  • Tom locked this topic