• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

It’s about quality not quantity, the intelligent posters on here know that his football is awful and he’s about as honest as Tony Pulis. 

Yes. That is literally the only possible explanation of this difference of opinion. There are the intelligent people - though not quite as intelligent as you - who share your views, and then the unintelligent people who have different views to you. There's absolutely nothing breathtakingly arrogant or narrow-minded about that.

• Haha 1
Just now, p_mards said:

Yes. That is literally the only possible explanation of this difference of opinion. There are the intelligent people - though not quite as intelligent as you - who share your views, and then the unintelligent people who have different views to you. There's absolutely nothing breathtakingly arrogant or narrow-minded about that.

It was meant to be breathtakingly arrogant, there would have been no point in saying it otherwise. 

I have only seen Akpom on camera and I can already say that he is a diabolical footballer. I fail to see anything he is good at. Says a lot about our recruitment team. Unless they only watch YouTube compilations made by his agent. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I have only seen Akpom on camera and I can already say that he is a diabolical footballer. I fail to see anything he is good at. Says a lot about our recruitment team. Unless they only watch YouTube compilations made by his agent. 

I'd say Akpom is as good as Assombalonga but is more mobile and links up play better. That still doesn't make him great by any means and I'd replace both of them in a flash given the opportunity but given a straight choice in an either/or scenario then I'd pick Akpom.

3 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/neil-warnock-delighted-middlesbrough-complete-18960314

For context on why our manager is a liar, can't take responsibility for his own actions and cannot be trusted no matter what he says -

He's been my number one choice. I've wanted him for a long time. I'd like to give a big thanks to Neil Bausor for getting it done.

And just to have the new comments side by side -

The recruitment team, he was top of their list really. We couldn't watch games in that period, we only looked at Chuba on the internet. He looked the best of the bunch from what we were looking at so that's why we signed him.

"I think on the stats, the recruitment were convinced he was the best one. He started off really well.

My opinion of NW has slid a lot the last month honestly. I think he brought in some good players but really, i think he has turned into Pulis a bit with the hoof-ball we started to play, he has turned into a man who is criticizing his players out in the open to the media, and doesnt take responsibility when the teams has come out flat but yet takes the credit when they play a complete game. He's an old time manager set in his ways, i suppose its up to the team What they want moving forward. Those quotes above just rub me the wrong way. 

• Like 4

He dumbfounded a lot of fans when he came out with that piece about Akpom. It's this kind of disdain for fans intelligence that turns them off managers. Managers are given a certain amount of credit to begin with when they start a new job. Some earn more along the way (Warnock)  and some lose it quickly (Woodgate). This is a prime example of Warnock losing credit for a daft comment that was unnecessary and added nothing to his management other to cover his own back. It's rank bad man management as well.

38 minutes ago, Humpty said:

He dumbfounded a lot of fans when he came out with that piece about Akpom. It's this kind of disdain for fans intelligence that turns them off managers. Managers are given a certain amount of credit to begin with when they start a new job. Some earn more along the way (Warnock)  and some lose it quickly (Woodgate). This is a prime example of Warnock losing credit for a daft comment that was unnecessary and added nothing to his management other to cover his own back. It's rank bad man management as well.

100% agreed. Not sure what he thought he would achieve here, he must know his quotes about Akpom being his first choice are out there, turning around and saying "ah actually I never really wanted him" now makes him look *** terrible.

Since we're revisiting old comments, it's worth reviewing the post a PAOK fan put on here when Akpom was about to sign. I'm not defending his recent performances, but there's clearly something about the lad:

"You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 season. During the first half of that season he would only come in as sub but during the January transfer window, PAOK sold their best striker, Prijovic in Arabia. Everyone was panicking since we were on route to our first championship in years. Chuba stepped up and was one of the best players, in the second half of the season. He contributed in PAOK's first championship in 34 years (!) where we were also invincibles. Some of his best games were against Olympiakos in Toumpa were he scored an impressive goal and his performance against AEK in the cup final where he scored an impressive overhead kick to win us the double (he was also the MVP of the final). 

His scoring record might not be the best but he is a really hard working striker, who runs a lot without the ball. His positioning is good and he can press a lot. In Tuesday, we beat and disqualified Benfica (which is considered a big deal considering the teams economical difference) and Akpom was one of the best players. PAOK's pressing started from him and he ran a lot. I mean A LOT.  He also kept the ball well against world class defenders like Vertoghen and he had an unofficial assist in Benfica's own goal."

From that honest description - which did list some negatives as well - I have to conclude Akpom has plenty of potential. Why it's not being realised is another matter, though I do remember Hamilton Ricard taking a long time to settle when he joined us. Maybe it's a culture shock, maybe Akpom's being mismanaged, maybe he's just not being played in a formation that suits his strengths, but you can't play well against the likes of Jan Vertonghen and be a complete spud at the same time.

• Like 3

I obviously already had my misgivings over Warnock from the start but the moment I knew we had another pulis on our hands was when he started talking about how he's giving players a 3 day deadline to sign for us or were moving on. No one does that in this game, ever. Could tell right away that he was just going to be a PR merchant who says what he thinks fans will like in the moment, disregarding whatever rubbish he's spouted in the past and most fans will just eat it up.

• Tom locked this topic