• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

Convenient for Bolasie, you missed out the team our in league at the time, where he ripped it up.... or the Belgian side, which we know is a high quality league.

I personally think Monk's window with the club at the time was far more exciting and 4 years ago is probably within "long long time".

Darren Randolph or Jordan Archer? Martin Braithwaite or Yannick Bolasie? etc

You say I need some perspective but I think it's other fans that need to take a step back and remove the excitement from an incoming transfer and look at we've actually got in this window. 

I agree we've had much worse but that doesnt make this "best window in a long long time" yet...

Dunno if you missed it but Braithwaite was a disaster here and Archer wasn't signed as a first choice keeper so strange comparisons. Bolasie was hardly awful at Villa and had just came off an ACL injury, why are people so desperate to use that as an example of failure?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Dunno if you missed it but Braithwaite was a disaster here and Archer wasn't signed as a first choice keeper so strange comparisons. Bolasie was hardly awful at Villa and had just came off an ACL injury, why are people so desperate to use that as an example of failure?

I'm not talking about how it panned out but at the time of us signing Braithwaite, he was coming from France where he had a good reputation at a decent age, not some mercenary who hasnt really captured the heights since an ACL injury 4 years ago. 

I'm purely talking about someone labelling this as "the best window in a long long time". 

It's like just because i've not just eaten a Rustlers burger, i've instantly eaten a Bleeker Street Burger instead. 

and no I didnt miss Braithwaite being here...but someone else is missing the point. 

Just now, boksicdink said:

I'm not talking about how it panned out but at the time of us signing Braithwaite, he was coming from France where he had a good reputation at a decent age, not some mercenary who hasnt really captured the heights since an ACL injury 4 years ago. 

I'm purely talking about someone labelling this as "the best window in a long long time". 

It's like just because i've not just eaten a Rustlers burger, i've instantly eaten a Bleeker Street Burger instead. 

and no I didnt miss Braithwaite being here...but someone else is missing the point. 

So good transfer windows are when we over spend on failures? Riiiighto

• Like 2

Surely you should be comparing January windows?

From that season, in January, we signed Mo Besic on loan (success), Martin Cranie (complete waste of a squad number) and Jack Harrison (baffling waste of a signing).

To beat that season, we only need Fisher to be a success and Bolasie to be decent, or vice versa.

16/17: Gestede, Bamford, Guedioura

18/19: Van La Parra, Obi Mikel

19/20: Stojanovic, Roberts, Moukoudi, Nmecha, Morrison

It's such a low bar to overcome.

Edited by TeaCider24
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

So good transfer windows are when we over spend on failures? Riiiighto

Mate read what i'm saying. i've said at the time, on paper, we had a more exciting window than this in recent history when looking at what was coming in. 

I don't think that is a highly controversial thing to say. 

Teacider is probably right comparing a January window to another one is probably more fair and  I think the Rhodes/Ramirez/De Laet window was better than this.

Purely at the time of it happening, not what happened to Gaston or with Rhodes but at the time of them signing, it was a "better window" than this. 

Last successful January window would be 15/16, for me, and that's just because of Ramirez, we brought in plenty of *** in that window too.

Could argue Rhodes, but we paid £10m for a striker who couldn't play football and scored a few scrappy goals away from home, it was balanced out by us making our money back on him.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Last successful January window would be 15/16, for me, and that's just because of Ramirez, we brought in plenty of *** in that window too.

Could argue Rhodes, but we paid £10m for a striker who couldn't play football and scored a few scrappy goals away from home, it was balanced out by us making our money back on him.

I agree and i'm not saying now with hindsight it was better as we don't know how these players are going to work out, but at the time (February 2016) it was a better window than this one, unless something major happens in the next few days of course! 

It was exciting with some high profile players that matched the needs of the team at the time and we knew it was going to help us make that final push. 

I just think saying this window is the best window in a long long time is a bit OTT

Edited by boksicdink
12 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Agree on all that but Rhodes in end got us over the finish line.

Some of his goals turned losses in to draws and v Bolton his late brace turned a loss in to a win. Also got important goals in away draw at Burnley and a late equaliser v MK Dons. That is 5pts his goals alone got us i can recall from top of my head.

He when looking at things purely in terms of promotion was good business.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TLF10 said:

Agree on all that but Rhodes in end got us over the finish line.

Some of his goals turned losses in to draws and v Bolton his late brace turned a loss in to a win. Also got important goals in away draw at Burnley and a late equaliser v MK Dons. That is 5pts his goals alone got us i can recall from top of my head.

He when looking at things purely in terms of promotion was good business.

I agree that his goals definitely got us up, but who knows what would have happened if we'd signed a more skilfull striker, or if we'd played Stuani central. It might not have been a scrape over the line job.

My main memory of Rhodes is him missing a hell of a lot of easy chances.

• Like 1

Without Ramirez and Rhodes I don't believe we would of been promoted so that window was best we have had. However If Warnock does what he has done with lots of our other players and gets Bolasie firing even half he was at Crystal Palace this window could match it. The truth about the success of a window is in the eating. If the signings improve the squad that results in more wins its successful window. They is defiently alot more depth to our squad now like today we had 4 decent strikers on the bench. At pre season we only had Fletcher and Britt

40 minutes ago, boksicdink said:

Mate read what i'm saying. i've said at the time, on paper, we had a more exciting window than this in recent history when looking at what was coming in. 

I don't think that is a highly controversial thing to say. 

Teacider is probably right comparing a January window to another one is probably more fair and  I think the Rhodes/Ramirez/De Laet window was better than this.

Purely at the time of it happening, not what happened to Gaston or with Rhodes but at the time of them signing, it was a "better window" than this. 

Fair enough, I didn't realise that was your argument. I'd agree that was more exciting but long term it's been a disaster. This one has been solid so far, which works for me especially if the Britt swap deal with Bristol happens

• Like 1
  • Tom locked this topic