• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Bettinelli

Dijksteel   Fry   McNair   Bola

Howson Saville

Tav

Kebano                  Bolasie

Fletcher

Is what I think we see most. Possibly swap Tav and Kebano around too.

I’d go with this but probably swop Saville with Morsy. It’s great we now have attacking options, particularly with the high number of subs available and question marks over players match fitness 

3 minutes ago, Boro-Loyal said:

I’d go with this but probably swop Saville with Morsy. It’s great we now have attacking options, particularly with the high number of subs available and question marks over players match fitness 

Saville has 4g 4a and is more dynamic than Morsy, who I love, don't get me wrong, but I think Howson can play that deeper midfield role just fine right now.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Wonder if we are looking at some free agents to get some more depth in the defensive department. 

We have Fry, McNair and Hall as out-and-out centre-backs, whilst Dijksteel and Bola have also played CB this season. I believe Dijksteel is the only one who hasn't played in a CB pairing, as Bola played in a 2 against Brentford in the FA Cup.

I think so long as we don't have a huge injury crisis, we should be fine. There's also Howson if absolutely necessary, he did alright there at times last season.

It's midfield I'm more worried about if we're sticking with a midfield 3. I don't think Warnock fancies Tav in the 3, nor will he in any way want to move McNair out of defence. Which, after the usual band of 3, leaves Hackney and other young lads to fill in the gaps.

So yeah, I really hope now that we've got the extra attacking players who can play all across the 3 in a 4-2-3-1, that we go with that from now moving forwards. It can take one of the less effective midfielders out and put something more positive behind the striker, like Tav or Kebano. Then we've got Johnson, Bolasie, Watmore and NML for the wide areas.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Brunners said:

Saville has 4g 4a and is more dynamic than Morsy, who I love, don't get me wrong, but I think Howson can play that deeper midfield role just fine right now.

Watching them both this season, Saville gets into opposition players faces and heads without getting himself into the book as often, too. I don't think it make a huge difference to our midfield if you swap one for the other but on the balance of it, I'd pick Saville right now.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

Ah spot on!

I should then post about it excessively so I can tell everyone I was right all along if the player does turn out to be a dud.

That sound about right?

That’s 100% how it’s done. Don’t forget to have a little ambiguity in your context so if it turns out you’re wrong then you can claim deniability buddy 👍

• Like 2
Just now, wilsoncgp said:

Watching them both this season, Saville gets into opposition players faces and heads without getting himself into the book as often, too. I don't think it make a huge difference to our midfield if you swap one for the other but on the balance of it, I'd pick Saville right now.

yep agreed!

10 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

We have Fry, McNair and Hall as out-and-out centre-backs, whilst Dijksteel and Bola have also played CB this season. I believe Dijksteel is the only one who hasn't played in a CB pairing, as Bola played in a 2 against Brentford in the FA Cup

We currently have 6 players for 4 positions. Spence, Fisher, Dijksteel, Hall, Fry, McNair and Bola. Dijksteel has looked good in a three man defence, but it's a risk to put him in a two man defence, as I can't remember whether he has played that position. As soon as we were missing Fry we lost 0-3 to Rotherham. Howson isn't a defender so I really don't want him there and I don't want to see Johnson or Coulson at LB. Ideally we find someone who can play LB/CD.

However looking at the free agent list I can't see a single familiar name so we might aswell not bother and just stay with what we have.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I think this is my preferred way forward from here.

Bettinelli
Dijksteel Fry McNair Bola
Howson Saville
Kebano Tav Bolasie
Fletcher

It may be harsh on Johnson as he has made a decent contribution this season from out wide but Bolasie has to offer us a bit more quality. I also think that attacking midfield 3 has the ability to interchange across that area of the pitch more, Tav and Kebano can definitely play anywhere across the 3, Bolasie can go either wing.

One way or another, it's up to Warnock and co. now to get the best out of them and start developing a consistency and momentum that we need to convincingly take a position in the play-offs. I believe we can do it, I don't think there are enough great teams in the division that we'll have to be top class to make it into the top 6 but momentum this side of the January window could give us a great chance in the knockouts if we make it, too.

3 minutes ago, Borodane said:

We currently have 6 players for 4 positions. Spence, Fisher, Dijksteel, Hall, Fry, McNair and Bola. Dijksteel has looked good in a three man defence, but it's a risk to put him in a two man defence, as I can't remember whether he has played that position. As soon as we were missing Fry we lost 0-3 to Rotherham. Howson isn't a defender so I really don't want him there and I don't want to see Johnson or Coulson at LB. Ideally we find someone who can play LB/CD.

Not to be pedantic but that's 7, mate.

I'm also not sure of Dijksteel, Bola or Howson in a back 2 but I reckon Warnock will be happier with that than throwing Wood in. I also don't think we lost to Rotherham 3-0 just because Fry was out of the team, that implies it was mostly down to Wood's involvement and I just don't think that's true, I think our entire defensive set-up across the pitch was crap. Keeper was rubbish, the back 4 was rubbish, the midfield was rubbish.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Not to be pedantic but that's 7, mate.

Haha yeah you're right. I had forgotten Spence so his name was a late inclusion and I didn't change the number. We currently only have 3 central defenders though in Fry, Hall and McNair and even McNair has had reservations about playing in defence before. It's not like I'm unhappy about our defence, I was just wondering whether there were anyone out there that might give us a bit more depth.

21 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

For what it's worth, I think this is my preferred way forward from here.

Bettinelli
Dijksteel Fry McNair Bola
Howson Saville
Kebano Tav Bolasie
Fletcher

It may be harsh on Johnson as he has made a decent contribution this season from out wide but Bolasie has to offer us a bit more quality. I also think that attacking midfield 3 has the ability to interchange across that area of the pitch more, Tav and Kebano can definitely play anywhere across the 3, Bolasie can go either wing.

One way or another, it's up to Warnock and co. now to get the best out of them and start developing a consistency and momentum that we need to convincingly take a position in the play-offs. I believe we can do it, I don't think there are enough great teams in the division that we'll have to be top class to make it into the top 6 but momentum this side of the January window could give us a great chance in the knockouts if we make it, too.

Can't argue with any of that. Looks like a good lineup, although Fletcher looks far off any shape, so I'd keep Britt currently. If Fletcher signs a new contract I'd quickly make him first choice as soon as he is fit.

• Like 1

To be honest, I don't think it really matters what XI we'd play with everyone fit, because it's unlikely to happen. The key is going to be how well we rotate, and the strength and depth of our forward players means we can do that far, far better.

All clubs have an insane fixture pile up, so it.truly is a squad game more so than ever before. NML and Bolasie will take time to reach match fitness, and Watmore arguably isn't quite there yet anyway - but having Kebano, Tav, and Johnson in there to keep vitality is going to be key.

• Like 4
  • Tom locked this topic