oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

6 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:
10 minutes ago, Blanco said:

We obviously have different opinions in what we see in a player @Brunners

One of the rare times I agree with you these days! Just doesn't offer enough in any aspect of his Game besides hitting regular speculative shots which hit the back of the net on occasion. What's left of his reputation is based on performances in a season 2 years ago now - and even then he only started 19 games and was in and out of the side. 

Then you don't watch him very closely, or have decided he's bad and that's that. 

He had a bad season, but the talent that got him this far is clearly still there, he's just absolutely shot confidence wise.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

Then you don't watch him very closely, or have decided he's bad and that's that. 

He had a bad season, but the talent that got him this far is clearly still there, he's just absolutely shot confidence wise.

Hmmmm I think it might be the other way around. I was concerned that he started against Birmingham but conceded after the game that he played ok and did score twice. I agreed that he should have started against Sheff Wednesday as a result of his two goals in the previous game. BUT he was absolutely rubbish in that game and the improvement in us was dramatic when he was replaced by Tav. Definitely the most overrated Boro player of all time IMO

5 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Hmmmm I think it might be the other way around. I was concerned that he started against Birmingham but conceded after the game that he played ok and did score twice. I agreed that he should have started against Sheff Wednesday as a result of his two goals in the previous game. BUT he was absolutely rubbish in that game and the improvement in us was dramatic when he was replaced by Tav. Definitely the most overrated Boro player of all time IMO

He wasn't any worse than any of our other players against Wednesday. Almost no one came out of that game with any credit IMO. 

And I'm not trying to say he's great now or anything, he played very poorly last year and he hasn't lit the world on fire when he played this year, although I will say I thought he had a good game vs Birmingham and (like said previously) I thought he was no worse than anyone else midweek.

I think a fresh start is what's needed for him because for whatever reason it's all gone downhill for him here, but to try and claim there's no talent there is just ridiculous and to claim he's the most overrated player of all time is absolutely staggering.

6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

He wasn't any worse than any of our other players against Wednesday. Almost no one came out of that game with any credit IMO. 

And I'm not trying to say he's great now or anything, he played very poorly last year and he hasn't lit the world on fire when he played this year, although I will say I thought he had a good game vs Birmingham and (like said previously) I thought he was no worse than anyone else midweek.

I think a fresh start is what's needed for him because for whatever reason it's all gone downhill for him here, but to try and claim there's no talent there is just ridiculous and to claim he's the most overrated player of all time is absolutely staggering.

Name one other player more overrated than him then 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Johnson? 😉

I can see where you are trying to go with this but I don’t ever recall anyone recommending Johnson for the Balon D’Or? For what it is worth he is playing to his maximum and is proving a good player for us this season. I don’t see a problem with that 

4 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I can see where you are trying to go with this but I don’t ever recall anyone recommending Johnson for the Balon D’Or? For what it is worth he is playing to his maximum and is proving a good player for us this season. I don’t see a problem with that 

At what point has anyone claimed anything like that about Wing either?

1 minute ago, Blanco said:

Was only messing! 

For what it's worth, not sure I've seen may suggest Wing for it either, suppose that means both are in the same boat. 

You both need to stretch your memories. It was definitely suggested on here a couple of years ago about Wing. He has never worked hard enough for me. Johnson on the other hand has knuckled down and put the work in to try to be the best he can. I don’t see how anyone can have a problem with that?

25 minutes ago, Blanco said:

You both need to stretch your memories. It was definitely suggested on here a couple of years ago about Wing.

Really not sure that's ever been suggested, not seriously anyway, unless there are posts I've missed! 😂

Edited by DanFromDownSouth
14 minutes ago, Blanco said:

He has never worked hard enough for me. Johnson on the other hand has knuckled down and put the work in to try to be the best he can. I don’t see how anyone can have a problem with that?

I don't have a problem with it. But to praise a player during their most productive spell of their Boro career and then write off another player is funny.

For what it's worth I'm not sure I really rate Wing or Johnson, but Johnson needs to score another 7 goals in the league to match Wing in terms of goals scored.

4 hours ago, Brunners said:

It's very possible, he barely gets game time here and our midfield looks like one of the places we're more than comfortable with bodies. 

I have been one of the biggest fans of Lewis Wing since he first broke out and I still believe he's a Championship quality player in the right system. When he is on form, he's got a great range of passing and I truly believe he's one of the best in the league when it comes to scoring from outside the area. 

He is supposedly one of the most fit players at the club, but you wouldn't think it watching him run, he looks like he's running through molasses at all times.

He can't tackle his way out of a wet paper bag either, which is probably his biggest downfall when it comes to playing under NW. 

I genuinely believe played as an advanced forward thinking midfielder or a genuine number 10, with little to no defensive responsibilities, he can flourish.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Interesting reading this description of him. We have Josh Harrop who can score from range and looks like a good 'technical' player but he offers nothing off the ball and can often go missing, which is why Alex Neil has never really taken to him and he may be on his way out. So if Wing is a bit similar maybe he could suffer the same fate!

I think in the modern game every player on the pitch has to have defensive responsibilities. It's probably why someone like Ozil has been bombed out at Arsenal by 2 different managers, because there is no longer room in the systems, even in elite teams, for free roles with no defensive work rate or ability required.

4 hours ago, TLF10 said:

@pnefc ok. We got 4 central midfielders and our manager prefers to play 4.3.3. Wing provides back up to the first choice 3 so i doubt we will loan him to you unless we can loan someone in to cover him.

A permanent bid i think we would defo consider but i think it would still take a 7 figure sum at least and not sure your club has that.

Our best 3 midfielders, Pearson, Johnson, and Browne, are all running their contracts down and likely to sadly have to be sold. So we will be looking at midfielders and have at least some funds available to hopefully do something. Josh Harrop is reportedly close to leaving too so together with Johnson's likely departure we will be in need of a 'goalscoring midfielder'.

Do Boro need to wheel and deal to make room or funds available for incomings or will you just be strengthening regardless?

• Tom locked this topic