oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

4 hours ago, edinboro said:

I bet clubs are expecting a full lockdown in days which probably means suspension of football. No point in signing players if you don't know whether the season will even finish.

Scotland has kept football going

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Why can't we delay them again? Financially, sure it's awkward, potentially really bad. But theoretically if it can survive financially, the entirety of the footballing calendar can be postponed. Club football in particular doesn't really need to start or end at any specific time of the year for what I'd say was most nations. It's not like the whole world works to the same domestic calendar as it is.

Internationally, of course, in some scenarios (Qatar) we need to look at a specific time of the year to play. But at some point, surely all that changes is one tournament gets an extra year or two to plan what they're delivering? For the upcoming EUROs, it's awkward. For the Qatar World Cup, it's awkward. For everything that comes after it, what's the issue in them being delayed really? Why not push the international tournaments back to free up some of the domestic schedule, too? Push qualifiers back, get shot of friendlies for now. Correct me if I'm wrong but I would imagine domestic football is more reliant on time-frames so could we not just prioritise them over International football in some manner?

Why can't we delay the Euros again? The World Cup is happening next year. Given the obstacles FIFA has already overcome to ensure Qatar goes ahead, I doubt they'd be willing to postpone it unless a large number of governments simultaneously apply immense pressure.

Why can't we get shot of friendlies? How do you decide which countries qualify for future international tournaments? They're duller than a Tony Pulis commentary, but they serve a necessary purpose.

Why can't we postpone the Olympics? Because athletes structure their entire lives around competing at specific dates, and a delay of another year could mean they're unable to compete at all. Then add in lost corporate sponsorship, potential lack of accommodation or ancillary infrastructure over the rescheduled dates, the lost income from events being delayed (which will be acutely felt by the very same small businesses and sole traders whose careers are already hanging by a thread around the world)... any delay to such a major event will have serious economic ramifications far beyond sport or its athletes. Also true to a lesser extent for the Euros, Copa, women's international tournaments, etc.

Why can't we prioritise domestic football? Because international football is the pinnacle of the sport, it generates the biggest audiences, and it's run by two organisations who have historically been very reluctant to fiddle with their flagship tournaments. Postponing the Euros was done because there was literally no conceivable way it could go ahead, but I'm not sure that's true this year with vaccines being rolled out.

FWIW, I agree it would be preferable to just delay everything until Covid is under control. But that's a very simplistic approach to a vastly powerful and immensely high-maintenance economic machine. Previous delays have already caused consideable fixture congestion and untold knock-on consequences inside and outside the elite sporting bubble - witness the struggles of people involved in football who don't earn Mesut Ozil-style wages, and the travails of clubs who may already be forced to fold due to a lack of matchday revenue. More delays will compound these issues even further.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

The mental health of our country is an important factor, I'm sure plenty on here are aware of just how important positive mental health can be in a situation like this, myself included.

I would seriously contest though, that in this day and age, football is the only potential entertainment for our brains and that it is a good reason to keep it going when balancing risk and reward. There's so many potential avenues for entertainment that don't involve us forcing people to work in potentially unsafe environments. Technology does its best to counter that, we've not just got physical media like DVDs, we've got streaming networks offering all sorts for relatively less than the cost to watch a match a month. Generally more expensive but we've also got video games, so many video games and so many ways to play them.

My personal suggestion of entertainment, especially if you're living with a small family, is that people look into board games. Especially if you're sick of looking at a screen or sick of your kids looking at a screen. It's not all Monopoly and Cluedo, those games are actually pretty dull in comparison, I've only just got into the hobby in the last couple of years and some of these things blow my mind. I'd be happy to recommend some too! 😅

It's your world we just live in it 😀

FFS stop lecturing people on your erroneous opinion.

41 minutes ago, Erimus 63 said:

Erimus, you've been very grouchy lately. Wilson is sharing an opinion to provoke discussion, please stop gatekeeping what can and cannot be posted on here.

6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Erimus, you've been very grouchy lately. Wilson is sharing an opinion to provoke discussion, please stop gatekeeping what can and cannot be posted on here.

It's fair comment in my opinion rightly or wrongly.

This is the second go you've had at me. you can give me a warning if you want. Non of the other Mods have commented, so i think this is personal. I'll say this, you've changed a lot since becoming a moderator. Let the forum breath and stop nit picking at me. It's you that's gate keeping.

6 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

so, any transfer news?

Erimus is trying to sell brunners to the Sunderland forum for two chewing gums and a half packet of crisps 😃

• Haha 4
3 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Whataboutism never solved anything, mate.

The problem regarding human rights violations in Qatar is people did give a toss but it didn't matter to people who could make changes, it certainly didn't matter to FIFA when considering awarding them the World Cup. And whilst BLM and associated movements are essentially worldwide, being thrust into the faces of all sorts of politicians and important/powerful people as it attempts to challenge racism localised to each country, Qatar is, for the most part, an external problem.

We aren't affected by it the same way we aren't affected by causes our country seeks to remedy in third world countries through yearly charitable events. Even if people did give a toss about it and we had people in every constituency mailing into their MPs to tell them to tackle this issue, nothing much would change. What action we can take is relatively limited. It doesn't stop it being horrid though.

For what it's worth, in case you haven't seen it, Gary Neville actually did a documentary on it though that was as decent a watch that something could be that was hosted by Gary Neville. There's probably better stuff on Qatar in general that is better at educating but naturally, his focus was on the progress towards the Qatar World Cup.

i guess only way we can do anything is if the players themselves act. if they all say for example we are not going and several major nations pullout of the tournament, then that is the best way imo. 

5 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

i guess only way we can do anything is if the players themselves act. if they all say for example we are not going and several major nations pullout of the tournament, then that is the best way imo. 

Yes Ireland have been planning this for years.

We could easily qualify if we wanted to 🙄

• Haha 5
39 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Erimus is trying to sell brunners to the Sunderland forum for two chewing gums and a half packet of crisps 😃

I'm worth at least three chewing gums.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Erimus 63 said:

The irony that you've just had a go at Brunners for 'nitpicking', 'letting the forum breathe' and 'gate keeping' when you've just previously said this clearly went right over your head. Do you want people to be able to share their opinions? Or do you only want them to share them when you agree with them?

All this because I suggested Monopoly and Cluedo might not be the pinnacle of board gaming. Clearly a touchy subject. Fine, we'll have a game but I'm the Battleship.

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

The irony that you've just had a go at Brunners for 'nitpicking', 'letting the forum breathe' and 'gate keeping' when you've just previously said this clearly went right over your head. Do you want people to be able to share their opinions? Or do you only want them to share them when you agree with them?

All this because I suggested Monopoly and Cluedo might not be the pinnacle of board gaming. Clearly a touchy subject. Fine, we'll have a game but I'm the Battleship.

Monopoly. Always guaranteed to To start a fight 👍

• Haha 1
  • Tom locked this topic