oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

56 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Stojanovic loaned to St. Pauli.

Weird, though I fully understand his reasoning.

Almost entirely not his fault, but what a waste of £1m.

Sad, but it makes sense for him. He was just kicking his heels here. At least he's going to get to play there.

Guessing the loan will become permanent at the end of the season, or at least he'll be off somewhere else.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

Just now, AnglianRed said:

Sad, but it makes sense for him. He was just kicking his heels here. At least he's going to get to play there.

Guessing the loan will become permanent at the end of the season, or at least he'll be off somewhere else.

I don't think St. Pauli have anywhere near enough money to pay 1 million. But I suppose it will put him in the shop window so we can claw back some of that money we've spent.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

Why can't we delay the Euros again? The World Cup is happening next year. Given the obstacles FIFA has already overcome to ensure Qatar goes ahead, I doubt they'd be willing to postpone it unless a large number of governments simultaneously apply immense pressure.

Why can't we get shot of friendlies? How do you decide which countries qualify for future international tournaments? They're duller than a Tony Pulis commentary, but they serve a necessary purpose.

Why can't we postpone the Olympics? Because athletes structure their entire lives around competing at specific dates, and a delay of another year could mean they're unable to compete at all. Then add in lost corporate sponsorship, potential lack of accommodation or ancillary infrastructure over the rescheduled dates, the lost income from events being delayed (which will be acutely felt by the very same small businesses and sole traders whose careers are already hanging by a thread around the world)... any delay to such a major event will have serious economic ramifications far beyond sport or its athletes. Also true to a lesser extent for the Euros, Copa, women's international tournaments, etc.

Why can't we prioritise domestic football? Because international football is the pinnacle of the sport, it generates the biggest audiences, and it's run by two organisations who have historically been very reluctant to fiddle with their flagship tournaments. Postponing the Euros was done because there was literally no conceivable way it could go ahead, but I'm not sure that's true this year with vaccines being rolled out.

FWIW, I agree it would be preferable to just delay everything until Covid is under control. But that's a very simplistic approach to a vastly powerful and immensely high-maintenance economic machine. Previous delays have already caused consideable fixture congestion and untold knock-on consequences inside and outside the elite sporting bubble - witness the struggles of people involved in football who don't earn Mesut Ozil-style wages, and the travails of clubs who may already be forced to fold due to a lack of matchday revenue. More delays will compound these issues even further.

Fantastic explanation. 👏👏👏👏👏👏

Also goes a long way to explaining the government's actions, trying to walk a fine line between curbing the spread of the virus, while not totally shutting the country down.

As much as it would be great to lock the world down until the virus is gone...there are simply too many powerful economic drivers in play. At the bottom of this "food chain" are normal working people who need to earn their wages or salaries and the companies they work for needing to stay in business.

• Thanks 1

Archer? Isn't he the one that was absolutely gash for Millwall. I also seem to remember he might a complete howler against us a few years ago. I suppose this is a move to get someone cheaper in than Stoj and getting Stoj in the shop window.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

Always good to see glowing opinions of a new signing from their fans. Just looked on Motherwell’s twitter and one comment says ‘how’s he managed that’😂

Apparently he's awful, can't comment meself as I've never seen the lad play.

1 minute ago, Borodane said:

Archer? Isn't he the one that was absolutely gash for Millwall. I also seem to remember he might a complete howler against us a few years ago. I suppose this is a move to get someone cheaper in than Stoj and getting Stoj in the shop window.

Stoj asked to leave so he could get into the Austria squad for the Euros, according to NW.

20 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Yep. A couple of seasons back - dropped a routine cross under no particular pressure and Howson tapped in from a yard or so.

• Tom locked this topic