oneBoro Forum
Old Codger

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

Posted (edited)

With regards to Diedhiou, I think the main differences between his game and that of Britt's are his movement in the box and his height advantage. Certain strikers come alive in the box and know how to position themselves to get on the end of the balls being put in there.

Having seeing the Bristol lad in action he anticipates very well. By that I mean he looks like he can see what type of cross is on and adjust his own position. For example if the ball is going to be stood up to the back post he will drop off and get a run on the defender or if it looks like it will be driven in then he'll get across his defender. That's something that we miss as Britt doesn't consistently do that for us. Akpom is better at it but still not accomplished. Diedhiou would bring that threat and we would convert more chance resulting from crosses which is a big part of the way we play.

Edited by OzzyPorter

Diédhiou's mins/goal contribution is decent this season. Averaging a contribution every 178.33 mins, and often only playing 10-20 mins at the end of a game. He's only played 45+ mins 4 times this season, so that's not a bad return for an impact sub. 

By stats alone that would place him after Fletch, Browne, and Johnson from our team, and above Akpom, Saville, and Assombalonga. 

He's not an exciting player, but I think he'd be effective for our system. Would provide an aerial threat we currently lack.

• Like 1

Is anyone else worried that watmore has not sighed an extension yet. Do any of the in the know crew have any intel. 

Wonder why he's not getting the game-time?

Is it injury, loss of form, not fitting style of play, being found out or just not very good?

11 minutes ago, rutters said:

Wonder why he's not getting the game-time?

Is it injury, loss of form, not fitting style of play, being found out or just not very good?

Not sure, but his record is better than both Wells and Martin, who start most games up top. Contributed 2 goals/minute to their 1 apiece...

I know stats aren't everything, but still. Perhaps his goals from being an impact sub are seen as an important factor. 

Update:

OUTGOING (Reported Rumours):
Patrick Roberts (Man City; Loan cancellation)
Duncan Watmore (Bosman; Stoke/Burnley)
Lewis Wing (Preston)

INCOMINGS (Reported Rumours):
Phil Jones (Man Utd)
Yannick Bolasie (Everton)
Baba Rahman (Chelsea)
Steven Bala (Barnet)
Jack Clarke (Spurs; Loan)
Armand Gnanduillet (Free Agent)
Famara Diédhiou (Bristol City)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great news 👏

Great news about Watmore. Hope he's still able to keep himself fit and firing now he's got the security of a long-term deal. 

Well done Watmore for coming in a very difficult situation and working hard to get a proper deal. Shows character and workrate. Brilliant with the form he has shown. Hope he can stay clear of injuries and continue to improve.

• Like 1