oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

3 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

The comparison one poster cited - Watmore and Bolasie- how on earth can you compare the two? Watmore trained with us without getting payment. He wanted to prove he could hack it - and boy did he do so. He showed a desire and enthusiasm to want to play for us. Bolasie? Can’t see him offering his services under those circumstances.

I simply don’t get the apparent eagerness for Bolasie. Certainly this doesn’t appear to be a two way thing. He apparently is holding out for a Premier club coming in for him with the full knowledge of our desire to get him. So we are his insurance policy - or last resort- of securing a move. Frankly this doesn’t demonstrate a real desire to join Boro.

If this sort of player floats your boat - fair enough. To me, a club bordering on being skint could do with a lot more enthusiasm to join the club - something this guy doesn’t visibly show.

His most recent record playing in England doesn’t convince me he would be a valuable asset.

I can only hope he can mesmerise defences like he appears to have achieved with some of our fans.

Far from being an insurance policy and last resort, it was actually Bolasie who initiated the proposed move to us in the summer, because he wanted to play football and respects NW. it was us that couldn’t get the deal done. I’m pretty sure when he initiated the move, he wasn’t thinking that a mid championship table from a small town in the northeast during a COVID crisis would be offering big bucks for him. Which shows eagerness in my eyes. I’m fully aware it was more the NW factor than the boro factor, but how many players do we have at the club that actually initiated the move here? Not a lot, I bet

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

So why hasn’t he signed if his desire is so strong? 

Maybe cos we pied him off in the summer, so he’s waiting to see if he can get a better (prem) offer. Who wouldn’t? Especially in these times. Anyway, it’s good to know that our attacking players are so good that a pacey 30m player from a top 7 premiership club would add no value to our squad whatsoever. Promotion must be in the bag 😁

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, El1986 said:

Maybe cos we pied him off in the summer, so he’s waiting to see if he can get a better (prem) offer. Who wouldn’t? Especially in these times. Anyway, it’s good to know that our attacking players are so good that a pacey 30m player from a top 7 premiership club would add no value to our squad whatsoever. Promotion must be in the bag 😁

No it’s not, we are nowhere near promotion and signing Bolasie won’t change that.
Next season is far more realistic. 

• Wow 1
28 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

So why hasn’t he signed if his desire is so strong? 

Because Everton are holding out in case they manage to sell him. It’s January and the Merry go round is about to start.

I am actually not the biggest fan of bolasie but at the same time I am convinced he will be more productive than Roberts.

The fact he is out of contract at the end of season can only help us as he will want to put himself in the shop window.

7 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

No it’s not, we are nowhere near promotion and signing Bolasie won’t change that.

Have you actually looked at the table recently? We are 7th just one point off the playoffs and 7 points off autos with a game in hand. Just half the season is gone. Why do you think we will be closer next season? This is the time to strengthen. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I also don’t understand why we would need to save the finances for next year? Even next year, I see our chances of promotion only coming via the play offs and we are bang there with a shout this year, so why save it for next year? We might not be in this good a position next year. Plus, I don’t think the half mil we would fork out for him, as having any impact on who we might sign next season. But, he is the type of player who could make all the difference in a tight play off game. So if he provides just one assist in the play offs, that helps us get promoted, it will have been money week spent. I just don’t get the negativity.it’s a minimum outlay no lose gamble in my eyes. I’m not saying he’s gonna tear the championship up and I’m not saying he’s the 30m player he was a few years ago. I’m just saying that with a relatively small outlay, we could get pretty decent player who COULD make all the difference to us in our promotion chase. Let’s not forget, we have a good manager who knows what players can and can’t do and seems to get the best out of most of them, he has also worked with Bolasie before, so knows him and wouldn’t go anywhere near him, if he was the lazy, billy big boots, bad influence some people make out. I do trust Warnock and I also trust that if we did sign him, Warnock would no doubt get the best out of him. I just don’t see the downside to it

• Like 4
47 minutes ago, boronutter said:

i agree ,i think he sees us as a last resort.better than nothing so to speak.im not fussed either way on him

If you had no affiliation with boro would you have us as a first option? He’s not a boro fan. I think he’s just waiting for any chance to play football but Everton are obviously holding out to get the best deal possible. He’s moved to anderlecht and Lissabon in recent seasons so it’s not like he’s scared to move. People are making an awful lot of assumptions about Bolasie and think boro is the most attractive club in the world and every footballer should have us as first option. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Some of the ITK may want to confirm this but I was told we have had a bid accepted for Gregg Cunningham.

I know nothing about him.

Decent championship left back. But is that a position we need? Out of contract in the summer though so is probably cheap. 

6 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Some of the ITK may want to confirm this but I was told we have had a bid accepted for Gregg Cunningham.

Think he is injured currently, so its not a great start for the rest of the season. Wonder if its one for more long term

We live in strange times right now, which is why I think the more organised and experienced managers are the ones who are doing better than expected this season, such as mourinho or ancelotti and this is the reason warnock has got us to the miraculous position we’re in now. With his experience, we have a great chance of making the play offs this year, which then gives us a terrific chance to get promoted. Next year might be a completely different story. There will be clubs coming down from the prem with way more resources than us, then others might get more investment. We might not be in this good a position for a few years, who knows what will happen. SG always seems to find a few quid down the back of the sofa, when he wants to. So hopefully, Warnock will get sufficient backing for us to bring in a few players to beef up the team/squad, cos it is a squad game now. Especially with all the fixtures and injuries this year, plus COVID on top. That’s why I don’t see how Bolasie wouldn’t add value. Even if he only came on for the last 20 mins in the game, when players are getting tired. Anyway, I’m gonna *** up about Bolasie now. I feel like I’m his no1 fan, when really, I just think he’s a decent player, who could be great in this league and who will add value to our squad at the very least 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

We were linked with him in the summer. Mainly a LB, but can play as a left sided CB.

• Tom locked this topic