oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

41 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Finances?

What if the finances are there now? We don’t know. I see little reason to wait when we are right in the promotion mix now. You say we don’t have the squad for it, but that’s the whole point in recruiting. Sell Britt and get another striker, a winger and a defender. Maybe even sell Wing if the interest is there. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Borodane said:

What if the finances are there now? We don’t know. I see little reason to wait when we are right in the promotion mix now. You say we don’t have the squad for it, but that’s the whole point in recruiting. Sell Britt and get another striker, a winger and a defender. Maybe even sell Wing if the interest is there. 

It’s really not that simple. Who’s going to offer Britt the same wages? I can’t see anyone offering a decent fee either. 

Every transfer window we apparently need a striker and a winger, we never sign anyone good enough to satisfy fans, it’s always the same.
The only time we sign wingers that the fans like, the manager doesn’t seem to agree and they don’t get played. 

Lets just get through this current COVID crisis and regroup in the summer with a proper recruitment plan rather than a scattergun approach in the vein hope of reaching the playoffs.  

Edited by BillyWoofs_shinpad

I think the big thing to remember about our finances, is we are bound by the EFL's profit and sustainability rules. We can only lose so much over a 3 year period, we may be at that very limit. Plus owners aren't allowed to keep pumping endless money into the clubs. That's why we've seen clubs sell stadiums/training grounds etc, to circumvent these rules.

Gibson may well be willing and have the money to invest, but we have 1 hand tied behind our back due to the rules in place. If you then consider how vocal Gibson has been regarding following those rules, from the outside looking in, it seems very unlikely he'll then disregard them.

Just a thought.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

It’s really not that simple. Who’s going to offer Britt the same wages? I can’t see anyone offering a decent fee either. 

Every transfer window we apparently need a striker and a winger, we never sign anyone good enough to satisfy fans, it’s always the same.
The only time we sign wingers that the fans like, the manager doesn’t seem to agree and they don’t get played. 

Lets just get through this current COVID crisis and regroup in the summer with a proper recruitment plan rather than a scattergun approach in the vein hope of teaching the playoffs.  

It’s certainly a lot easier that saying things will definitely be better in 12 months and we’ll be closer to promotion then. 

I remember SG backing Karanka one jan transfer window, but only after he had made a good start and we were in a good position. I think SG likes to see how we are doing before deciding if he’s gonna dip his hand in his pocket. Hopefully he’ll get 2 or 3 so n that will make a difference. But remember guys. Our current manager has won promotion 8 times!!! NW is the promotion king. Believe ...

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I think the big thing to remember about our finances, is we are bound by the EFL's profit and sustainability rules. We can only lose so much over a 3 year period, we may be at that very limit. Plus owners aren't allowed to keep pumping endless money into the clubs. That's why we've seen clubs sell stadiums/training grounds etc, to circumvent these rules.

Gibson may well be willing and have the money to invest, but we have 1 hand tied behind our back due to the rules in place. If you then consider how vocal Gibson has been regarding following those rules, from the outside looking in, it seems very unlikely he'll then disregard them.

Just a thought.

Honestly, I don’t even think FFP comes into it, within reason. We’ve pretty much nearly got rid of all the massive earners from the monk debacle, so must have wiggle room there. Plus, there’s the added complication of loss of revenue due to COVID. Is any club gonna get heavily penalised for not meeting expected revenue, due to COVID. And whenever anyone does get punished, they win on appeal anyway, Orr at least get it reduced. Anyway, SG can always sell himself the stadium 😁. All that matters is how much SG is willing to spend, within reason. 

6 minutes ago, El1986 said:

. Anyway, SG can always sell himself the stadium 😁.. 

The emoji sums that statement up. Hope you were being ironic!
To do that, you need to have a stadium in the books at low value - under the true value - and sell it to yourself at a profit. I don’t think we ever had that and with COVID ”true” values for football stadia must have plummeted. Any attempt to sell stadium now  at a profit would be impossible and any attempt to fiddle the figures would be insane given Gibsons role in complaining to FL about other sales.

10 minutes ago, El1986 said:

Honestly, I don’t even think FFP comes into it, within reason. We’ve pretty much nearly got rid of all the massive earners from the monk debacle, so must have wiggle room there. Plus, there’s the added complication of loss of revenue due to COVID. Is any club gonna get heavily penalised for not meeting expected revenue, due to COVID. 

You might be right about FL relaxing FFP rules because of COVID, but there’s been no suggestions yet about it happening. Too risky to exceed current allowed losses without definite rule changes being announced.

Yes - we’ve got rid of most of the worst of Monk excesses. We’ve also lost the parachute payments that allowed us to splurge. The June 2020 accounts are due out this spring. I would bet they will show serious losses. The 20/21 accounts ain’t going to be any better. Pruning costs offset by COVID losses. Who knows what the next year will bring? 
If SG allows Warnock to spend a little, then great. If he keeps the purse strings closed, then I won’t complain.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Six months. 

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Are we closer to promotion at the beginning of the season than now? Better equipped?

24 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I have no idea what you are trying to say here. Are we closer to promotion at the beginning of the season than now? Better equipped?

I’m saying don’t overspend at the moment with no income stream coming in to the club.
Wait until the end of the season then reevaluate things. I’m more concerned about the club getting into debt than I am about missing out on promotion this year. 

• Tom locked this topic