oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

12 hours ago, TLF10 said:

I hope we can get Bolasie in early doors in January. 

By all accounts we ran out of time last time but it appears everything was agreed. Therefore hope we are working on that now so he in for early Jan. 

I dont think there many better wide players than him available. 

I think that is why the Watmore deal is only until January and keeping Bolasie's spot warm. The problem may be that Watmore could become a fixture by then. I would rather give him a chance up front before Britt or Akpom. Watmore seems able to read the game and with a bit of speed and ability with the ball at his feet plus he doesn't wet himself when he has the chance to shoot.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I think that is why the Watmore deal is only until January and keeping Bolasie's spot warm. The problem may be that Watmore could become a fixture by then. I would rather give him a chance up front before Britt or Akpom. Watmore seems able to read the game and with a bit of speed and ability with the ball at his feet plus he doesn't wet himself when he has the chance to shoot.

Given how much we're struggling for both goalscorers and wide players, I wouldn't be against having both. 

Suppose its too early to pass judgement on Watmore, but he's had one good game recently...which is more than you can say for some.

2 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I hope so. As @AnglianRed said hopefully we can get Bolasie and Watmore in. Would be happy with them two. Probably only got funds for one but Warnock said we might lose one or two in Jan so if it means sensing someone like Browne out on loan to make room on wage bill am all for it

18 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

We really don't have much we can afford to loose. Brit would be the ideal but it then means finding a striker and the new players for less money than he's on. 

Sav, Britt and Browne perhaps?

We can't afford to lose Saville.

Wing is probably the only player on our bench I'd let go.

If we get any sort of reasonable bid for Wing we should sell him in my opinion. He's not really a Warnock player and I don't think he's shown enough to prove he's capable of being a useful asset in a promotion push.

Unfortunately I think we need to accept the chances of us generating funds by selling squad players are remote given the lack of funds in the football league. The likes of Wing are not going to be wanted by PL clubs and clubs outside the championship maybe dont have the 7 figure sum to fork out on one player in January.

I think interest in our players will come from PL in likes of Paddy, Fry and Dijksteel. Maybe Spence but i dont see the huge fuss over him. I can certainly see someone like Sheff Utd come in for Paddy. He fits in effortlessly in to the system they play and they might look for defensive reinforcements. Burnley might come back in for Fry given they need cover in that area but I doubt it. Dijksteel I think is one clubs might come in for in summer as opposed to January.

I would not be surprised to see Brown and Coulson leave on loan. Latter does get game time from the bench but he is effectively 3rd choice and NW might think he one worthing letting go if it frees up a spot on the wage bill to extend someone like Watmore stay while also allowing to bring Bolasie in.

8 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I think you're being a touch premature on your assessment of Watmore.  He's scored 31 goals in total at every level of football he's played at since turning pro, in 141 games.  This includes Under 21 Prem, Prem reserves, League Cup, League One etc.  In fact, 16 of those 31 goals came in the Under 21 Prem years ago so half of them aren't even in senior football.  Against Swansea, he scored with a massively deflected goal,  I assume the original shot is on target but it's not exactly clear.   The second goal came from a break where he had a one v one with a goalkeeper, who stood like a statue for some reason, and then fell over after the ball hit the net.  Any of our strikers would have taken that chance, including the likes of Walker out on loan. 

The fella has had a lot of injuries, which is clear mitigation for his career stats to date, but there's really no evidence at all to suggest he's better than the strikers we already have.  It's the opposite really if anything.  I don't see him being successful as a lone striker in a Warnock team, he just looks completely unsuited for the role, as indeed are the rest of them.  The other night he played off the main striker, and was able to buzz and flit around, which is probably what would suit him better than that in my opinion, unless he's played out wide.  

@Changing Times agree we should not get carried away with him. If he can stay injury free I think I seen enough to know he offers something different that we should try keep him until summer. Dont think we will have much to spend on wages in Jan so looks like a winger plus maybe Watmore if we keep him.

One person i have zero faith in finishing a chance like Watmores v Swansea is Britt. Never have i seen a striker whose chances of converting a chance decrease significantly the more time he has.

2 hours ago, TLF10 said:

@Changing Times agree we should not get carried away with him. If he can stay injury free I think I seen enough to know he offers something different that we should try keep him until summer. Dont think we will have much to spend on wages in Jan so looks like a winger plus maybe Watmore if we keep him.

One person i have zero faith in finishing a chance like Watmores v Swansea is Britt. Never have i seen a striker whose chances of converting a chance decrease significantly the more time he has.

I think he'd finish it easily although I get where you are coming from.

I fully agree that its far too early to make a decision on Watmore but I do know that its not too early to make a decision on Britt and fast approaching the same with Akpom. Had Britt had both those chances against Swansea he would have absolutely nailed on missed them, he had better opportunities against Huddersfield and as usual bottled it.

Neither of our two Strikers influence any games and have been largely anonymous in Akpom's case and a liability in Britt's case repeatedly spurning chances. Why on earth would his manager put on Wing a minute into added time and the captain thinks that he's the best person to take that free kick that he then blasts straight at the wall?

The free kick had Wing's name written all over it and failing that then Paddy McNair. That was exactly the opportunity that you would have been praying for when you sent Wing on. As soon as I seen the smiling assassin grab the ball I gave up all hope. It's got to the point where I'm now genuinely questioning if it's deliberate.

Going back to Watmore and his fitness history, its appalling, and certainly not a player you would want to have to be relying on but I'd prefer to play him up front in a neck brace, one leg in a plaster and a Zimmer frame to Britt or Akpom, When those two play we are effectively playing with ten men, play Roberts up front if it comes to that or even Wood, come to think of it I'd even play Stojanovic there. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Tom locked this topic