oneBoro Forum
Old Codger

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

46 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Fair points - I was basing my stats on the transfers listed on the PL website, which admittedly doesn't cover the specifics of each player's backgrounds. For instance, Andy Lonergan was a free agent until December when he got to spend some time with Stoke.

With quite a few of these players being snouted out from the lower leagues, I wonder if the values of more established players have absolutely nosedived in the last year? It's hard to imagine Man United would be willing to pay £70 million for Harry Maguire in today's market. Or maybe clubs, players and agents are hoping if they wait for the storm to pass, business will resume as it was a year ago, with values unaffected.

I wasn't being picky but I was trying to highlight your point of how quiet it was transfer wise, by adding those 2 bits. 🙂

I think what we are seeing is your last point (the bit in bold) especially at the top end. The player Villa are trying to sign has dropped in value hugely, he was valued at £25-30m pre-pandemic. But due to a few factors* his value is around half that now. But I think France will be the exception not the rule as it stands.

*Ligue 1 was curtailed early for the 2019/2020 season, then their biggest TV broadcast deal (by some distance) has collapsed entirely plus we are almost a year into the pandemic.

• Like 1

Hurrah!!!! Common sense prevails! Seriously, I do think this signing would have been bad news - in every aspect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wonder who the other targets are. Must be someone useful as Bolasie seemed like someone Warnock really wanted.

12 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Looks likes our decision. Not his. 

NW obviously reads this forum, glad we’ve seen sense. 

4 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Connor Houlihan going to Swansea 

Hourihane*

Great signing for them.

I'm hoping Swansea go up automatically so I don't really mind.

I'm realistic enough to think it's very likely to be play-offs at best for us, so I'd sooner the good players go to the teams in the top 2 rather than those currently in 3rd to 6th.

• Like 1

The one worry I have is we are allegedly linked with a number of players - and seem to miss out. There could be a key common denominator however when the likes of Millwall put in a bid of £1 million for Mowatt it really does show where we are currently 

36 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

Patches O'Houlilan would be better. Best motivator to grace sports

Hotlips Houlihan certainly used to motivate me when I was young. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

The one worry I have is we are allegedly linked with a number of players - and seem to miss out. There could be a key common denominator however when the likes of Millwall put in a bid of £1 million for Mowatt it really does show where we are currently 

I know its very frustrating.

2 minutes ago, Mfcdanny said:

Wonder who it could of been? 

Screenshot_20210119_123426_com.twitter.android.jpg

was the striker the none league guy who went to Huddersfield?