oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

4 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Frankly, I don’t get the fuss about Bolasie. Hardly played in ages, strike rate of 1 in 9, not great. I think we appear to be wanting him in for what he was- not what he is!

Funnily enough, I'm a Boro fan because of what we were, not what we are!

There's always hope we'll be able to recapture past glories, and I guess the same is true of Bolasie. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

When Roberts re-signed Warnock said something along the lines of "City made it clear to him that this was the only place he was going", making it sound like he wasn't particularly keen on coming back and I think Warnock also said something that made it sound as though he wasn't particularly bothered about getting him back either, so it does make you wonder who was driving the transfer and why?

City must have known that he wasn't going to be played regularly so it's not like he'd be increasing his value.

I suppose on the topic of Roberts I think Warnock as well as Woodgate felt he couldn't play more than once a week due to his track record with injury. Its hard to implement a system with him in when he will be missing half the games. I think it also suggests Bolasie or someone else is probably a done deal. He also probably struggled with the lack of a pre season with us as well.

On Roberts I'm a fan of his and always want/ed in our starting 11. I think in a similar way to Traore if he used his head more there is a good player there. But at the same time I feel he is the victim of modern football in that he is expected to do both the roles of attacking and defending. I feel he is the luxury player of needing a free role to be most effective and that probably doesn't suit Warnock.

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, Hendrie_7 said:

When Roberts re-signed Warnock said something along the lines of "City made it clear to him that this was the only place he was going", making it sound like he wasn't particularly keen on coming back and I think Warnock also said something that made it sound as though he wasn't particularly bothered about getting him back either, so it does make you wonder who was driving the transfer and why?

City must have known that he wasn't going to be played regularly so it's not like he'd be increasing his value.

Could be another pre-agreed deal like Grant Hall, seem to recall us having something similar set up for Jack Harrison before Pulis decided to give the lad about 3 minutes of football over half a season when we were desperate for wingers and creativity.

Really want to see Roberts get more of a chance, one of the only unpredictable and exciting players in our squad. We don't really have anyone who looks to beat his man 1 on 1 except Roberts. In fairness, Spence has been trying when he's played but with very middling success.

Roberts is entertaining to watch but then what? To me that is the issue that Warnock has with the lad. He has skills without doubt, probably more than anyone else currently at the club.

Roberts is without doubt far more skilful and entertaining than Watmore but Watmore just puts the ball in the back of the net whilst not over complicating things. Both came here with question marks over their fitness and injury records, Watmore far more so than Roberts. Maybe Watmore was hungrier for it I don't know and don't see what goes on in training but on match days when it matters Watmore has delivered.

I think there is far more to Roberts than we have seen so far but to see that the Manager feels he has to gamble a little and clearly feels like its a risk not worth taking. Dribbling past defenders is great if there is an end product but if there isn't then taking on one defender too many, losing possession and putting your team on the back foot isn't an endearing feature to any Football Manager.

In a more dominant team he could be the icing on the cake which is probably why his best spell was at Celtic. In the "anybody can beat anybody" Championship the cut and thrust nature of games doesn't comfortably permit a luxury of that sort, substance over style unfortunately. Managers are ultimately judged on current trajectory and league placings as Bilic has just found out despite his previous successes.

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

I wonder whether Warnock did bring him back. 

Ive been saying this. Its something thta happens with every manager we have.. Pulis had van la parra and harrisson.. Both never got a kick. It was clear that karanka diddnt want downing or rhodes. And sure ive read somewere that mclaren diddnt want juninho back the 3rd time round. They must be someone at the club that is making these signings. Makes no sense. Pay good money for a player to sit on the bench 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11680/12165319/yannick-bolasie-middlesbrough-hoping-to-sign-everton-winger-on-loan-in-january

"Yannick Bolasie: Middlesbrough hoping to sign Everton winger on loan in January

Yannick Bolasie is one of a number of January targets for Middlesbrough manager Neil Warnock, who may have additional funds available if he cuts short Patrick Roberts' loan deal from Manchester City"

Be happy to get Bolaise in. Sad to see Roberts go back.

Apart from attacking areas, I really think we could do with another body for central midfield. Not because the players we have aren’t good enough, but I feel we need an extra body in there. We play with the 3 in there, and we only have Tav and Wing who play there along with the other 3. Tav has played out wide a decent amount and Wing doesn’t seem to be up to the task. If we get a couple injuries/suspensions (like we have now) we look light. 

35 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Be happy to get Bolaise in. Sad to see Roberts go back.

Apart from attacking areas, I really think we could do with another body for central midfield. Not because the players we have aren’t good enough, but I feel we need an extra body in there. We play with the 3 in there, and we only have Tav and Wing who play there along with the other 3. Tav has played out wide a decent amount and Wing doesn’t seem to be up to the task. If we get a couple injuries/suspensions (like we have now) we look light. 

I'll be sad to see Roberts go too, for whatever reason Warnock doesn't fancy him. He'd be the first attacking name on the team sheet for me and I fully expect him to go somewhere that plays football like a Brentford and be very very good in this league.

I'm a bit gutted about how Wing has panned out to. I think the biggest problem with Wing (and not one that can be fixed unfortunately) is his physical attributes mainly pace and stamina. The guy looks like hes blowing out his *** and runs like hes treading water. Shame as I love his forward thinking mindset and willingness to take long shots and not always play the safe pass which is a problem with our cm's prior. I still think in the right team (again one that looks to play football) he'd be a good player in this league. 

Bolasie is a bit of a weird signing for me. Didn't set the world alight at Villa, certainly won't be a "track back" guy. Plus Warnock would have to drop his love child that is Marvin Johnson to get him in the team. Maybe its a height thing? I still reckon that's why he likes Spence up on the wing so we can shank those big diagonals and have a reasonable chance of winning them. 

14 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

I'll be sad to see Roberts go too, for whatever reason Warnock doesn't fancy him. He'd be the first attacking name on the team sheet for me and I fully expect him to go somewhere that plays football like a Brentford and be very very good in this league.

I'm a bit gutted about how Wing has panned out to. I think the biggest problem with Wing (and not one that can be fixed unfortunately) is his physical attributes mainly pace and stamina. The guy looks like hes blowing out his *** and runs like hes treading water. Shame as I love his forward thinking mindset and willingness to take long shots and not always play the safe pass which is a problem with our cm's prior. I still think in the right team (again one that looks to play football) he'd be a good player in this league. 

Bolasie is a bit of a weird signing for me. Didn't set the world alight at Villa, certainly won't be a "track back" guy. Plus Warnock would have to drop his love child that is Marvin Johnson to get him in the team. Maybe its a height thing? I still reckon that's why he likes Spence up on the wing so we can shank those big diagonals and have a reasonable chance of winning them. 

Again this appears to be the eye test deceiving you. Supposedly (according to players) Wing is actually one of the fittest players at the club. He just has the weird running style which makes him look lethargic and he's not particularly quick, but apparently Stamina isn't a problem.

• Tom locked this topic