• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Frankly I would prefer we looked at someone like Blair Henderson at Edinburgh. 6 ft 4 in, top scorer at Edinburgh and his two previous clubs, he knows where the net is. A risk? Of course. But a striker who can score goals is my preference 

Buying from the SPL is a risk and you want us to look a a Scottish LEAGUE TWO player?!!?!

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Apart from attacking areas, I really think we could do with another body for central midfield. Not because the players we have aren’t good enough, but I feel we need an extra body in there. We play with the 3 in there, and we only have Tav and Wing who play there along with the other 3. Tav has played out wide a decent amount and Wing doesn’t seem to be up to the task. If we get a couple injuries/suspensions (like we have now) we look light. 

I agree with this. I've been saying on the matchday threads we should probably be playing 2 in midfield and be rotating the 3 midfielders we have (excluding Wing and Tav). Right up until the Preston game when Howson got injured. Now we potentially have Morsy out suspended for the next game which leaves us effectively with 1 central midfielder. Think post January we will need 4 to choose from if it is possible.

3 interesting picks from League Two; Ebou Adams (Forest Green), Callum Guy (Carlisle) and Ben Stevenson (Colchester). I know people don't like it when we target lower league players. But given the new criteria for European players and Warnock's admission of looking domestically, it's likely we will potentially bring in a player or two from the lower leagues. 

What I will say is I'd trust Warnock to bring someone in from that level and I'd trust him to be able to coach them properly and develop them. Much like how he has improved Dijksteel, Bola and McNair.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Frankly I would prefer we looked at someone like Blair Henderson at Edinburgh. 6 ft 4 in, top scorer at Edinburgh and his two previous clubs, he knows where the net is. A risk? Of course. But a striker who can score goals is my preference 

Blair Henderson sounds like a Scottish Rugby player.

Given his size, he's probably in the wrong sport 🤣

9 hours ago, Changing Times said:

I assume the lad is fairly tall?

He's a physical presence from what I've seen but I wouldnt say overally tall, just a bit of a battering ran with bit of skill.

Reminds me a little bit of Ishamel Miller in terms of physique

Kienan Davis. Bloody hell. He's looked ridiculously crap the times I've seen him play. Granted it's not many times but his stats back that up. Looks like we shouldn't even bother but I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

Remember one of our best goal scorers in recent times? A guy from the lower levels of Scottish football? A guy called Slaven? He wasn’t too shabby! A risk? Of course, nothing guaranteed but this Davis you know what you’re getting- a non scoring forward. I know which risk I would rather take.

8 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Remember one of our best goal scorers in recent times? A guy from the lower levels of Scottish football? A guy called Slaven? He wasn’t too shabby! A risk? Of course, nothing guaranteed but this Davis you know what you’re getting- a non scoring forward. I know which risk I would rather take.

I think you and me have a very different view of what ‘recent’ times means 😉

1 hour ago, Robin Johnson said:

I mean Davis is a loan and I would presume we wouldn't sign a SPFL player on loan. Whatever Davis does if he comes, he'd be here 6 months and then he'll be off our books. If he does well, we could try to negotiate something more permanent. If this fella you're on about doesn't do well, we're lumped with him for a number of years.

The thing for me with Davis is that I'm not sure he is the big bustling kind of centre-forward that might give us something a bit different up top, I don't think he's gonna knock down things to other players or work as a decent striker alongside someone else. He's a bigger lad but he actually seems to be more about what he does with the ball at his feet, he's quite a direct runner. When you look at his highlights, the lad receives the ball on the floor pretty much every time and runs at players. He's a decent dribbler, got a few skills in his locker which is why sometimes you'll see him pick the ball up on either channel.

I just look at the strikers we have on the pitch right now and think if you're signing Davis to play up front, even in a 2, I don't think he actually does much to improve our chances whilst we play the way we do.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Rishworthian said:

We'd be better off signing Charlie Wyke from Sunderland rather than this limited strikers that we seem to think might do a job.

Wyke is shocking

• Like 1

Wyke isn't shocking..  just a run of the mill Div 1 striker who has scored 10 goals in 20 games for an inconsistent team, but he doesn't offer us something different from current lads..  not a dominant physical presence or capable of mazy dribbles, just a lad who is probably playing at the right level for him. Davis doesn't sound brilliant but if he can retain possession and bring other people into play, then might be worth a nibble for a few months.. but ideally I would want someone able to bully defenders as it is something we have lacked for many years  

Can we just take a step back and ask whether the likes of Davis/Wyke would actually improve us...?

I'd rather stick with Fletch, The Ass, Chiba, and Watmore than bring in any old dross. There's strikers out there who could improve us - the likes of Davis and Wyke aren't those strikers. We don't need signings for signings sake.

• Like 4
56 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Wyke isn't shocking..  just a run of the mill Div 1 striker who has scored 10 goals in 20 games for an inconsistent team, but he doesn't offer us something different from current lads..  not a dominant physical presence or capable of mazy dribbles, just a lad who is probably playing at the right level for him. Davis doesn't sound brilliant but if he can retain possession and bring other people into play, then might be worth a nibble for a few months.. but ideally I would want someone able to bully defenders as it is something we have lacked for many years  

I'm just going off what my mackem mate tells me. He has no idea how Wyke has that many goals.

• Like 1
  • Tom locked this topic