oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

42 minutes ago, Will said:

Gibson puts in as much as he is allowed within the rules. I wish fans would stop saying he doesn't.

Trust you to disagree. We're not talking about earth shatter amounts of cash. Just enough to give us a good stab at a play-off place. There's a place there for the taking if Gibson backs Warnock and stops crapping himself about his very large pension fund diminishing slightly.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Erimus 63 said:

Trust you to disagree. We're not talking about earth shatter amounts of cash. Just enough to give us a good stab at a play-off place. There's a place there for the taking if Gibson backs Warnock and stops crapping himself about his very large pension fund diminishing slightly.

It's not me disagreeing, it's just facts. You choose to ignore them, I choose to take them into account.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
9 hours ago, Erimus 63 said:

i'm pretty sure,  the fortunes of MFC will not affect gibbo's pension. 

On 12/24/2020 at 4:47 PM, Hendrie_7 said:

These sound like they're made up quotes but apparently they're real 😂

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/12/24/theres-a-chance-everton-player-admits-he-could-be-on-the-move-in-january/

"Speaking on the Beautiful Game Podcast, Yannick Bolasie has admitted that there’s a chance he could join Middlesbrough in January.

“No, no, right now I would say no, but it might be later on, it might be past Boxing Day,” Bolasie said.

“Man’s looking forward to it, man’s going to see init, you know obviously there’s a chance that man could go to Middlesbrough, but in my heart, things have to be right, and it’s not just pack your bags and jump into this club like it has been the past three times.”

He will only come if there is no better offer, which in essence means he really does not think much about the club and will use us as a time gap for his own interest. I see myself a premier player says it all ie I’m to good for the BORO. NOW two things could happen, he sits on his hands and gets paid OR given the stage, he plays his heart out to prove his quality while advertising himself to premier clubs. I don’t see a middle ground, but we may just get the better deal with signing him on. 

On 12/24/2020 at 10:47 PM, RiseAgainst said:

"Man's looking forward to it, man's going to see init."

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

That's clearly not how he talks, he's just putting it on for effect.  I bet he's as posh as owt in reality.

• Like 1

With the latest alleged quotes how could anyone still want this gadge? Sounds like he would come if there isn’t a better offer. We don’t need his type coming I and potentially upsetting the squad harmony.

There is plenty to be concerned about his ability to offer anything at this level- let alone the Premier.

I hope we move on - and leave him stranded in Everton reserves!

• Confused 1

@Robin Johnson i do find fans with your mindset somewhat baffling? What are you expecting Bolasie to say? I only want to go to Middlesbrough and no other team regardless if other team is PL? We are not Real or Barcelona my friend.

Do you think the players currently at this club we have signed externally are here because they only wanted to come to Boro? I can say with almost some certainty that every player we signed is here because there was concrete PL offer on table for them. 

We got to get over this notion that every pro footballer needs to declare they love or like for this club before signing for us. They dont. They need to come here and try to perform to the best of they ability and that is it. 

And what makes you think Bolasie would upset the squad harmony? Yes he talks like a bit of a fool but he actually seems a likeable bloke who always positive. In that interview he said he knows a lot of the lads already here. And to quote him he said "Warnock is his boy" so if he decides to come I would be very confident that he could get Bolasie to perform and fit in with the rest of the lads.

You say you hope we do not pursue him. I say if we sign anyone this Jan he would be near top of my list. He what our squad lacks on the left. A direct and fast wide man who can create chances and chip in with the odd goal

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Robin Johnson said:

With the latest alleged quotes how could anyone still want this gadge? Sounds like he would come if there isn’t a better offer. We don’t need his type coming I and potentially upsetting the squad harmony.

There is plenty to be concerned about his ability to offer anything at this level- let alone the Premier.

I hope we move on - and leave him stranded in Everton reserves!

Squad harmony can be upset with any signing whether that’s a Uruguayan mercenary or a home town zero returning to a club. They don’t even have to be new signings to upset the balance of the squad you could you club captain banging your left backs wife.

We also have to remember we are Middlesbrough next to no one grows up wanting to put on the boro shirt. I would suggest that for at least 30 years people have come here for pay cheques and we have largely done alright with that. I have no problem with Mersin, yak, viduka playing for us for cash.

we have also had a number “of our own” buggar off at the first chance of a bigger contract or to play for a bigger club.

It’s football. It is what it is.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
50 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

@Robin Johnson i do find fans with your mindset somewhat baffling? What are you expecting Bolasie to say? I only want to go to Middlesbrough and no other team regardless if other team is PL? We are not Real or Barcelona my friend.

Do you think the players currently at this club we have signed externally are here because they only wanted to come to Boro? I can say with almost some certainty that every player we signed is here because there was concrete PL offer on table for them. 

We got to get over this notion that every pro footballer needs to declare they love or like for this club before signing for us. They dont. They need to come here and try to perform to the best of they ability and that is it. 

And what makes you think Bolasie would upset the squad harmony? Yes he talks like a bit of a fool but he actually seems a likeable bloke who always positive. In that interview he said he knows a lot of the lads already here. And to quote him he said "Warnock is his boy" so if he decides to come I would be very confident that he could get Bolasie to perform and fit in with the rest of the lads.

You say you hope we do not pursue him. I say if we sign anyone this Jan he would be near top of my list. He what our squad lacks on the left. A direct and fast wide man who can create chances and chip in with the odd goal

Excellent post @TLF10

• Thanks 2

Baffling? Let me help you. The guy has hardly played in English football for over 3 years. He left Villa to head back to Everton where he knew he wouldn’t get a game. He scored twice in 19 appearances for Villa in this division. He isn’t wanted by his parent club and hasn’t been awarded a squad number  - so not deemed good enough.

No one knows if he still possesses speed still. He certainly doesn’t offer a goal threat.

So you and others are prepared to take a chance on a very ordinary player who will take up a valuable squad place with the likelihood of him costing a few Bob. Add this to the fact he is far from convincing in wanting to join us frankly we should move on. 

That clear enough?.

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Robin Johnson said:

Baffling? Let me help you. The guy has hardly played in English football for over 3 years. He left Villa to head back to Everton where he knew he wouldn’t get a game. He scored twice in 19 appearances for Villa in this division. He isn’t wanted by his parent club and hasn’t been awarded a squad number  - so not deemed good enough.

No one knows if he still possesses speed still. He certainly doesn’t offer a goal threat.

So you and others are prepared to take a chance on a very ordinary player who will take up a valuable squad place with the likelihood of him costing a few Bob. Add this to the fact he is far from convincing in wanting to join us frankly we should move on. 

That clear enough?.

Just to fact check you. “He left Villa and headed back to Everton where he knew he would not get a game”. Not true as he went to Anderlecht straight after leaving Villa and then Lisbon so his desire to play football is greater than his desire to simply sit and pick up a cheque.

Not being good enough for Everton does not mean he not good enough for us. 

He has still got pace. Maybe not ad much as he did have but watch clips of him at Lisbon and in pre season few months ago and he can still beat a man.

i get your reservations about if he can perform. Totally get them. But i will back Warnock judgement on this.

He does not strike me as a bad apple and i certainly got no issue with him assessing his options before he decides which move best suits him.

As I know if he does come he will try his best for Warnock.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Just to fact check you. “He left Villa and headed back to Everton where he knew he would not get a game”. Not true as he went to Anderlecht straight after leaving Villa and then Lisbon so his desire to play football is greater than his desire to simply sit and pick up a cheque.

Not being good enough for Everton does not mean he not good enough for us. 

He has still got pace. Maybe not ad much as he did have but watch clips of him at Lisbon and in pre season few months ago and he can still beat a man.

i get your reservations about if he can perform. Totally get them. But i will back Warnock judgement on this.

He does not strike me as a bad apple and i certainly got no issue with him assessing his options before he decides which move best suits him.

As I know if he does come he will try his best for Warnock.

Cant argue with any of that. My worry is that he will want to wait right through transfer window to see if anything better comes up - a Premier League team (probably unlikely) or a longer term contract. We then get to end of transfer window, having waited for him, only to find he goes elsewhere, or some other hitch prevents him coming and we end up with no-one.

He has had long enough by now - before window opens again - to look elsewhere and find another club/negotiate terms if he wants to compare what we are offering. We should be telling him to sign straight away at beginning of January, or we should move on.if he wants to drag it out, then forget him.

• Tom locked this topic