• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Looking like Watmore is talking to other clubs. Think it would be pretty poor if he chose to leave after we gave him a chance.

It would certainly be disappointing but like a few of us on here he will have gone several months without any income so we can't really blame him if his agent seeks the best deal for him in terms of length of contract and the remuneration package. We had first dibs and gave him a short term contract up until January when we already had a taster for several weeks in training sessions.

In fairness to Watmore he has delivered on his side of the bargain but in doing so it has alerted other clubs. There will of course be a problem facing all the clubs including ourselves and that is one of insurance and who pays what will likely be a hefty premium. As good as he has undoubtedly been we know that there is a strong likelihood that lengthy lay offs will continue to blight his career and like as not end it prematurely. Hopefully not but it is still a gamble for all concerned including the player so I can't blame him for trying to secure the best deal possible while he still can.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheJew said:

Looking like Watmore is talking to other clubs. Think it would be pretty poor if he chose to leave after we gave him a chance.

Looking like Watmores agent is trying to drum up a bit of ‘competition’ to drive his potential deal up, which I guess is his job. Maybe it goes something like this; agent texts contact at West Brom ‘Duncan might not sign at Boro and will be a free agent in a fortnight. Should I keep you in the loop?’ Contact at WBA ‘Yeah ok’. Agent txts journo friend ‘WBA are keeping an eye on Duncan’s contract situation’. Journo trots out lazy sound bite disguised as ITK. Agent repeats with a few other clubs and suddenly it’s a bidding war. Probably takes less than an hour to engineer and get into the public domain. Such is the clamour of media outlets for transfer gossip it’s a piece of cake for any agent. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheJew said:

We gave him a two month contract and he trained for a long time without a pay. We weren’t exactly generous but I suppose we did give him a chance. Nothing wrong with him looking at offers. Especially if we’ve only offered a deal for this season. 

Wouldn't blame him at all if he went elsewhere for better money, that's the risk we took by offering a 2 month contract.

I still think he'd be wiser to sign here though, it's the first time his career has looked on track for a long time and it'd be daft to potentially jeopardise that by moving again mid-season.

• Like 4

From Watmore prospective why uproot yourself having just settled into this side and starting to be picked. Why go to another club where he be sat on bench for weeks and will have to settle in again. Unless that other club pays him an extra 5k+ a week

Indeed, it's alright saying we took a risk on him but the risk was short term and if he didn't work out, we wouldn't have been dealing with him beyond January. It's only with the benefit of hindsight that we would wish we gave him a longer contract anyway, as with most contracts it's a balance of risk.

The only real factor I guess that comes to mind is that we allowed him to use our facilities to get up to speed and whilst he wasn't getting paid, it's not like anybody can just rock up to Rockliffe and go for a jog with the lads (unless they're related to or friends with the chairman, of course). I wonder how many of the other clubs interested in him right now were willing to do the same.

• Like 1

What I'll also say is that I expect his agent is trying to improve the deal he can get here, which is why it's not done and dusted already, and the balance of power is bound to change on the back of each performance.

I'm sure he'll have a stronger hand now he's scored again, and there are reports of interest elsewhere.

I'm fully expecting him to sign a deal here, but I think it bound to be for more money than the club were initially offering. 

15 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

What I'll also say is that I expect his agent is trying to improve the deal he can get here, which is why it's not done and dusted already, and the balance of power is bound to change on the back of each performance.

I'm sure he'll have a stronger hand now he's scored again, and there are reports of interest elsewhere.

I'm fully expecting him to sign a deal here, but I think it bound to be for more money than the club were initially offering. 

Agree. The comments from warnock scream out agent interference. Hyping up the media to try and panic us into offering more. Depends how hard-ball we want to play i suppose

5 hours ago, Borodane said:

We gave him a two month contract and he trained for a long time without a pay. We weren’t exactly generous but I suppose we did give him a chance. Nothing wrong with him looking at offers. Especially if we’ve only offered a deal for this season. 

And let’s also be fair if it hadn’t worked out we would have happily released him in January.

I hope he hasn’t used the strikers that we have had over the last few years as a yardstick. Comparing himself with their transfer fees, wages and goals Watmore will think he should be on £100,000 a week!

• Tom locked this topic