oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

I did expect Britt to play like Ollie Watkins when he arrived like and bang in 20+ a season. This simply isn't the case and at 38k a week they is cheaper options for 10-15 goals a season. I still do however rate Britt as the best striker at the club still and he will have to be adequately replaced 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

Britt can score when it’s one touch or it’s instinctive. If he has to have multiple touches or has to think about it, he might as not even bother trying.

Can go for me.

I’d love a Glenn Murray (not rhyming slang for a currie 😋), hopefully he gets recalled by Brighton and we can loan for the rest of the season.

• Like 1
Just now, AstoriaBoro said:

I’d love a Glenn Murray (not rhyming slang for a currie 😋), hopefully he gets recalled by Brighton and we can loan for the rest of the season.

Would be my first choice as well but apparently going to QPR.

Selling Assombalnga for a decent fee this windows seems to make a lot of sense. We can't afford to let him leave on a free transfer and he doesn't fit into Warnock's preferred style of play as he simply doesn't have the height physique to play the targetman role. If we can sell him and replace him with a targetman such a Diedhiou for around the same figure (but much lower wages than Assombalonga) then that would be some good business.

• Like 1

I have really no solid feelings either way with Britt. If he's going to another Championship club then I'd feel a tad uncomfortable but generally speaking, I'm glad that if he does go now, we'll get a fee and we'll get his wages off the books now at a point where we could maybe do with investing it to ensure a top 6 finish.

So long as it doesn't affect us, I hope he does well wherever he goes. He didn't hit the next level whilst he was here and it seemed to be hard to get a good all round performance from him. I think the move makes sense for him too, he could probably do with the new challenge.

• Like 1

If Britt goes it will be for an "undisclosed" fee. He can sign a pre contract agreement now to join his new Club for free in the summer (and most likely with a hefty signing on fee due to him being a free agent). If you could have Britt now for say £4M or wait five months and get him for free what would you do?

His time here has been somewhat underwhelming and while we can certainly blame tactics and successive managers to a degree there is nobody to blame except Britt for his lack of assists and his woeful finishing both in open play and from set pieces.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

If Britt goes it will be for an "undisclosed" fee. He can sign a pre contract agreement now to join his new Club for free in the summer (and most likely with a hefty signing on fee due to him being a free agent). If you could have Britt now for say £4M or wait five months and get him for free what would you do?

His time here has been somewhat underwhelming and while we can certainly blame tactics and successive managers to a degree there is nobody to blame except Britt for his lack of assists and his woeful finishing both in open play and from set pieces.

The fee pushes you to the front of the queue though, right now. When it comes to the summer, if it's a domestic transfer, the season has to be done before he signs a contract elsewhere. If Britt waits until the summer, he will have the pick of whoever he wants and if a club really wants him but doesn't want to get caught in a war of wages, they'd be best off having a go now.

Still, it's not gonna be for much. It is probably gonna be around £2m at best. I'd rather that than let him go on a free.

7 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I think precontract is only if he was to sign for a foreign club. Don’t think domestic teams can do that until June or with the permission of the club holding his registration.

I am not one of those that think he has done poorly I think he has played to the level he is. His record isn’t that different for us as to his previous seasons at this level.

i think some fans had really high expectations of him and he hasn’t lived up to those but he has done what you pay him to do.

If he goes now the Club will save just shy of a Million on his wages from now until the summer. That will in part offset him leaving for nothing or next to nothing. If the Covid vaccination programme works then the footballing world will be in a very different place then compared to now. Might be better for Britt f he just sits tight and holds his nerve.

Just now, GrimsbyBoro said:

I think precontract is only if he was to sign for a foreign club. Don’t think domestic teams can do that until June or with the permission of the club holding his registration.

I am not one of those that think he has done poorly I think he has played to the level he is. His record isn’t that different for us as to his previous seasons at this level.

i think some fans had really high expectations of him and he hasn’t lived up to those but he has done what you pay him to do.

I think fans had high expectations because he's a club record transfer we made in the 2nd division. We already had Bamford on the books by the time we signed him and we paid more to sign Britt so I think it was natural to expect he'd be at least as good as him. And he hasn't been. He's a good lad, he's a good Championship striker but he's, so far, not proven anything beyond that. A good Championship striker is not worth anywhere near as much as £15m.

• Like 2

Goodness, there’s some rose tinted brigade out in force today. Let’s get one thing straight, he has regressed as a striker- in quite an alarming fashion. Missing chance after chance his conversion rate is extremely poor. His goal tally this season is little short of embarrassing. So please, let’s tell it as it is. On current form he is virtually no loss whatsoever. And a massive earner off the books.

• Like 5

Putting two and two together...

Britt has been linked with Bristol City before and only yesterday we were linked with Famara Diedhiou who only has 6 months left. Could maybe see some sort of swap deal?

9 minutes ago, uncle_rico said:

Putting two and two together...

Britt has been linked with Bristol City before and only yesterday we were linked with Famara Diedhiou who only has 6 months left. Could maybe see some sort of swap deal?

Would do me like

8 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think fans had high expectations because he's a club record transfer we made in the 2nd division. We already had Bamford on the books by the time we signed him and we paid more to sign Britt so I think it was natural to expect he'd be at least as good as him. And he hasn't been. He's a good lad, he's a good Championship striker but he's, so far, not proven anything beyond that. A good Championship striker is not worth anywhere near as much as £15m.

I think we shouldn't have signed Assombalonga in the first place. We already had Bamford here who was a better striker and we had far higher priority areas to improve than waste £15 million and another long-term, lucrative contract on Assombalonga; At one point we had Bamford, Assombalonga, Gestede, Fletcher and Braithwaite here bloating our wage bill. Gibson and Bauser should have had more of a joined up plan instead of letting Monk stockpile loads of expensive strikers, only to then have to sell the best one, Bamford, when trying to clear up the financial mess that was created. We should have just kept Bamford and not signed Assombalonga.

• Like 5
  • Tom locked this topic