oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

2 minutes ago, Borodane said:

He does seem like a good header. Certainly looks better in that department than what we currently have. If he won't renew and we are genuinely interested I reckon we can strike a deal with Brizzle. Wages might be a problem if he's on 20k, as I can't see us offering that when we already have Fletcher and Akpom.

If we are freeing up Britts wages, we can just swap them over and still save money in that department.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

If we are freeing up Britts wages, we can just swap them over and still save money in that department.

Yeah but that till doesn't change the fact that do we really want to spend 20k a week on a championship player. I'm not sure that's where we are at. When Britt leaves I'm fairly sure 20 is a top earner at the club. 

8 minutes ago, Brunners said:

And it would put us on the hook for another 20k championship player for another 3 years or so. Those days are gone

Considering we were willing to get into a wages war with Cardiff for Kieffer Moore, I think we've got the wage structure for players that Warnock tells Gibson that we really need. Obviously within reason.

1 hour ago, p_mards said:

Crucially, also, signing a 6 foot 4 targetman like Diedhiou would be a significant step towards us moving towards Warnock's preferred style of play. Too often this season we've lacked a physical presence up top to hold the ball up. With a proper targetman I think it will help us play more effectively on the front foot.

Is Diedhiou just being mentioned as an example or is there a firm rumour (bit of an oxymoron) to that effect? 

32 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Isn't he a target man? Genuine question. It's just that he seemed to be a target man whenever I have watched him play before as he has often played with his back to goal, can compete physically with CB's and scores a lot of headers.

Also, after looking into him just now, Bristol City articles have said he is played as a target man: "And the striker who often plays as a target man credited his teammates for the delivery he receives, this time benefitting from Eliasson’s whip into the box from the righthand side.": https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/we-did-what-we-set-out-to-achieve-diédhiou/

His obligatory YouTube clip shows that a lot of his goals come from headers too:

Not really. I guess it depends what you call a target man. A target man to me is someone who is physically dominant, wins his 1v1 tussles, has a great first touch and can play people in around him.

Diedhiou does none of that to a good standard. He's a decent championship striker, but from what I've seen and read more in the mould of what Akpom Fletcher and Britt are now. 

Didnt we have a few Greek fans telling us how good Akpom was aerially before he joined? Don't suppose it matters when you're feeding off 1 or 2 decent crosses a game.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Birdie said:

Is Diedhiou just being mentioned as an example or is there a firm rumour (bit of an oxymoron) to that effect? 

Bristol Live reported that we enquired about his availability. Then the Evening Gazette covered their report and has done a follow up story reporting Bristol Live's view. There seems to be at least some substance to it.

21 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

Didnt we have a few Greek fans telling us how good Akpom was aerially before he joined? Don't suppose it matters when you're feeding off 1 or 2 decent crosses a game.

No, he said that the one thing Akpom wasn't good with was his head.

"Now for the negatives. His heading ability is not that strong despite him being relatively tall".

Which made it ironic that he scored on his first appearance with a header.

17 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

Not really. I guess it depends what you call a target man. A target man to me is someone who is physically dominant, wins his 1v1 tussles, has a great first touch and can play people in around him.

Diedhiou does none of that to a good standard. He's a decent championship striker, but from what I've seen and read more in the mould of what Akpom Fletcher and Britt are now. 

Yeah, they can be good in the air but unless you can play the ball into them and have them hold it up and bring others into play, I wouldn't call them a target man.

He looks better than Britt in the air, I'll give him that. Maybe he'll win more headers in the box when attacking crosses which is a good thing for us. But in other areas of his game, they by and large look the same, looks ever so slightly more awkward with the ball at his feet than Britt does.

I sometimes wonder what Warnock could have done with Gestede if he was arsed and motivated to give it a go playing under him. Perhaps instilled some confidence into him, without the fans being there. He used to be unbelievable in the air, just a thought as to whether Warnock might have been able to re discover some of his form at Blackburn. Probably best for all parties that he did leave though. Was just thinking about it when the talk about target men was mentioned.

1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

And it would put us on the hook for another 20k championship player for another 3 years or so. Those days are gone

I would be pretty confident hazarding a guess that we're paying not far off that for Akpom.

3 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

I think it's inevitable that Assombalonga will score a decent amount of goals at his next club, he's limited but he can score and there are teams that are much better at creating opportunities than us.

I think it's right we move him on, but I'm already bracing for the tedious threads and posts whenever he scores.

Lets face it, he wouldn't be the first one...

• Tom locked this topic