oneBoro Forum

The January Transfer Window 2021 AKA "Didn't we do well"

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I keep hearing Christian Atsu even though it doesn't really fit with the clues we've been given

Maybe, he's one of the "gambles" NW mentioned? 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t believe that people on here are condemning a possible signing because of rumours that he dealt drugs.    One thing or squad is crying out for is someone that can distribute well 😳

Fletcher is close to signing a new contract.

Posted Images

Blackburn are supposed to be interested in trying to bring Kipre from West Brom in on loan. I think he only cost around a million when he left Wigan and if he doesn't fit in with Allardyce's plans then I wouldn't mind him at the Riverside especially if we could make it a permanent move in the summer.

10 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Blackburn are supposed to be interested in trying to bring Kipre from West Brom in on loan. I think he only cost around a million when he left Wigan and if he doesn't fit in with Allardyce's plans then I wouldn't mind him at the Riverside especially if we could make it a permanent move in the summer.

@diggerlad07 said we looked at him in summer as well but we were never going to compete with PL wages.

Would be a great signing. Genuine competition for Paddy and Fry which neither currently has. 

5 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

There won't be many, if indeed any £20K/week plus contracts offered at this level for some time. As contracts run down footballers outside of the Premiership will be facing the financial reality that many of us will be facing going forward, albeit struggling on £5K a week isn't exactly a hardship.

Going from £20-£25k a week to £5k is a tremendous hardship. We all tend  to live up to our means. Obviously if 99.9% of us on here were offered £5k a week we’d snap their hands off. But footballers will have investments and mortgages up to the ying yang. Not just for their own homes but for others i.e mums& dads, sisters etc. I remember listening to me Lee Hendry about the shame he had when he couldn’t  afford the mortgage on his mums house when his career bombed. It got him harder than losing his own home to the point he considered suicide. 

I hate to see the amount people are earning as a stick to beat them with (not saying that’s what you’re doing RR) but taking a pay cut of 75% would have major implications in their financial well-being to the point it could bankrupt some depending on the investments they made. 

It may be hard to have sympathy for these people when we have people using food banks etc but this pandemic is a real leveller for most people and everyone will have real struggles and we should have empathy for all

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Going from £20-£25k a week to £5k is a tremendous hardship. We all tend  to live up to our means. Obviously if 99.9% of us on here were offered £5k a week we’d snap their hands off. But footballers will have investments and mortgages up to the ying yang. Not just for their own homes but for others i.e mums& dads, sisters etc. I remember listening to me Lee Hendry about the shame he had when he couldn’t  afford the mortgage on his mums house when his career bombed. It got him harder than losing his own home to the point he considered suicide. 

I hate to see the amount people are earning as a stick to beat them with (not saying that’s what you’re doing RR) but taking a pay cut of 75% would have major implications in their financial well-being to the point it could bankrupt some depending on the investments they made. 

It may be hard to have sympathy for these people when we have people using food banks etc but this pandemic is a real leveller for most people and everyone will have real struggles and we should have empathy for all

Agree about that. The more you make the more expensive housing, cars etc you get. They don't all live like the rest of us and save the rest for rainy days. Obviously you need some savings, but a salary cut of 75% will hit anyone hard.

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

Agree about that. The more you make the more expensive housing, cars etc you get. They don't all live like the rest of us and save the rest for rainy days. Obviously you need some savings, but a salary cut of 75% will hit anyone hard.

Don't forget most footballers (hell, most sports players) don't have much disposable income as it's all tied up in equity or investments.

• Confused 1

Also don't forget that many of them are kids (or big kids) and don't mature in the real world like the rest of us. They maybe dont save because they dont see the need to. 

• Like 1

My comment about the £20K a week contracts was in response to Grimsby Boro's revelation that over 150 championship players are to be out of contract in the summer meaning that those players whose contracts are ending will be highly unlikely to find new suitors willing to meet let alone exceed their existing deals. The implication being that Boro and other cash struck clubs could pick up  players this summer at a lot lower cost than they are presently being paid or indeed may be offered elsewhere if they are presently at Boro.

Nobody likes to see anyone down on their uppers. Whether you earn £200 a week or £20,000 we all live, budget and mortgage within our means. For me personally it has been heart breaking to see the Maserati, Lambo and prancing horse all repossessed along with the 70 foot Yacht anchored in Monaco. The penthouse in Vegas is also going for a song if anyone has the odd £2.5M spare before the bailiffs move in. At this rate I'll end up in a four bed detached in Ingleby with a Mondeo on the drive. As I type the wife's red soled shoes are up on ebay and the girlfriend's Rolex is on Gumtree. I just hope the mistress can hack the Travelodge instead of the Grosvenor. 

• Haha 1
  • Tom locked this topic