Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
Old Codger

The January Transfer Window 2021

Recommended Posts

We should be trying to sell Assombalonga in January, he's not contributing anywhere near enough to be indispensable and getting something for him is better than nothing.

He's also not contributing anywhere near enough to be worth a new contract, at least in my opinion. 

Edited by TeaCider24
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we can offload someone then fine, I'm not sure how likely it is though.  Assombalonga will be on too much money I'd have thought and why pay any kind of transfer fee for a player you can get on a free transfer 6 months down the line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from possibly extending Watmore's contract I see precious little happening in this window

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do wonder if Howson's new deal frees up some space on the wage front.

Cant see why we would offer a new deal otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

We should be trying to sell Assombalonga in January, he's not contributing anywhere near enough to be indispensable and getting something for him is better than nothing.

He's also not contributing anywhere near enough to be worth a new contract, at least in my opinion. 

You wouldn't even get £2million that's the problem with 6months to run on contract but yeah I would get shot.

Feel sorry for him as he's played as a lone striker more or less throughout his time at us and we have used him as a target man and that isn't his strength, however he constantly misses easy chances. Very poor signing especially you put into context he is our record signing 😂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get a feeling the club have the option of extending Britts contract with a year. Too risky to just let him go on a free in the summer. I think we will see his contract will be extended and we will look to offload him in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea I thought it had been mentioned a few times about a years option on both his and Fletchers deals. Seems mental we would let both go for free especially when neither are indispensable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I get a feeling the club have the option of extending Britts contract with a year. Too risky to just let him go on a free in the summer. I think we will see his contract will be extended and we will look to offload him in the summer.

This. Problem is any built in extension will be either on the same or increased terms and he's already well above what we want to be paying.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree regarding Britt.

It seems clear Warnock will be targeting wide players given his comments over last few weeks about not creating enough and playing full backs in wide attacking positions.

Bolasie is the obvious name along with likes of Grosicki. Interesting to see if links with Holliett emerge again given he in to last 6 mths of his deal. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just going back to Britt. Is there anywhere where it says he signed a 4yr deal? I just googled us signing him and there no mention of the length of contract in any of articles i can find?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

Agree regarding Britt.

It seems clear Warnock will be targeting wide players given his comments over last few weeks about not creating enough and playing full backs in wide attacking positions.

Bolasie is the obvious name along with likes of Grosicki. Interesting to see if links with Holliett emerge again given he in to last 6 mths of his deal. 

You say that mate but he has perfectly good winger in Roberts sitting on the bench while he plays a young right back there. If he is expecting the likes of Bolasie and Grosicki to do the hard graft that I'm assuming he doesn't play Roberts for then I think he'll be in for a shock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dan1234 said:

You say that mate but he has perfectly good winger in Roberts sitting on the bench while he plays a young right back there. If he is expecting the likes of Bolasie and Grosicki to do the hard graft that I'm assuming he doesn't play Roberts for then I think he'll be in for a shock. 

I agree with you mate. I think Roberts needs a rub of games. This idea of throwing him in here and there is unfair on him and neither will it see him produce his best. He might produce some mediocre performances to start with but give him a run of games and then see what he can do. If he fails to produce over a run of a half dozen games then by all means pass judgment

For what it is worth i would be looking to get someone in on left who can cut in. A roberts equivalent almost. Bolasie would have been a good fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Will said:

This. Problem is any built in extension will be either on the same or increased terms and he's already well above what we want to be paying.

He's never going to get the same contract anywhere else, so perhaps he'd be open to a new three year contract on say 25k instead of risk being without a club in the summer. Just this season it's become pretty apparent that a lot of players find it hard to get contract offers. I would still assume that he will get offers on a free, but not close to what heis on here. If he is happy he could well think that we will offer him the best deal perhaps with a Prem club release clause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Borodane said:

He's never going to get the same contract anywhere else, so perhaps he'd be open to a new three year contract on say 25k instead of risk being without a club in the summer. Just this season it's become pretty apparent that a lot of players find it hard to get contract offers. I would still assume that he will get offers on a free, but not close to what heis on here. If he is happy he could well think that we will offer him the best deal perhaps with a Prem club release clause.

I was thinking an offer more like £10K but then again I don't think he has fit into any Manager's system since he has been here so unless we build a team around his strengths I don't see what he brings to the table. Due to those limitations I would let him go in January if someone did offer him something just to save on the rumoured £35K a week (around a £1M of wages saved).

It would leave us light on Strikers but I reckon we could take a budget gamble elsewhere and save ourselves a fortune and be no worse off. Its not going to happen of course as nobody will buy anyone who has 6 months remaining of a contract, they will just sign a pre agreement but if they did urgently want him I wouldn't stand in his or their way.

A Premiership loan could more than adequately cover plus Fletcher would be returning soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Latest Posts

    • We wanted to keep hold of him because we eventually offered him a contract. Whatever happens after that is a moot point because we're discussing the manner in which we went about the negotiations. If you want to keep a player you open the dialogue early to show willing. 
    • We had committed plenty of cash to him. He wasn't really worth what he was getting paid before the final few months of his contract and he definately didn't deserve what he was demanding, so I see every reason why we didn't offer him anything before the very end. I seem to remember that being a good decision as he didn't do much at Newcastle did he? When you have an injury plagued player coming to the twillight of his career it's certainly not amateurish to hold off on the contract offers.
    • Andy Dibble Tony Mowbray    
    • Going down south .. I can see Alan zipping down his pants already
    • The mod team have accepted a transfer offer. Can't disclose the club but it's a step down. He kept talking about people not listening to him etc. but I wasn't really paying attention.
×
×
  • Create New...