oneBoro Forum

Huddersfield Town V Boro 3-2 ( Johnson, Assombalonga))

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Game Details: Venue: John Smith Stadium (or if your prefer Kirklees Stadium) Huddersfield Date: Saturday 28th November 2020 Kick off: 1500hrs or 3pm f you do not understand the 24 hour

That’s because it happened 10 minutes before you actually witnessed it. 

With the amount of Subs now allowed I wouldn't be surprised if NW threw the gauntlet down to Roberts and Watmore after the Johnson and Spence cameos the other night and started with them again. With m

Posted Images

I said we'd finish mid-table, didn't I? DIDN'T I?

Fact is, we're not going to win enough games to get anywhere near the playoffs. Warnock's too scared to play advanced attacking football and he'll use this as justification for setting us up ultra defensively against Swansea.

Oh and Britt is a *** donkey and needs dropping. We need Fletcher back asap.

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

That's like Trump saying that he'd won after they'd counted half the votes...

I've never really taken to Britt though. I'd be playing Akpom (or Fletcher when available) over him. But as Warnock has given him the armband, he is going to be starting most games I think

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Fact is, we're not going to win enough games to get anywhere near the playoffs. Warnock's too scared to play advanced attacking football and he'll use this as justification for setting us up ultra defensively against Swansea.

Oh and Britt is a *** donkey and needs dropping. We need Fletcher back asap.

The majority on here expected mid table and mid table we shall be. 

9 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I think some of the players today looked fatigued, in my opinion. NW not picking certain players, not making substitutions earlier or even using all 5 allowed substitutions (recently), will further fatigue certain players as they will have to continue to play on. Howson, McNair, Dijksteel, Saville and Tav have all played over 1100 minutes so far this season. Only Brentford have the same amount of outfield players (5) as us, to have played over 1100 minutes. So although we both agree we are in the same predicament as every other team, our circumstances in terms of player numbers are certainly different.

Regarding your other points they are well made, but I'm not sure why you have made them when the original discussion was regarding player fitness and how I thought it played a small part in today's performance.

I support your argument of players having more game time then others but again after 14 games with international breaks I don’t buy into fatigue being a major factor but again I’m not saying it won’t factor at some point.  We have registered  players GK. 4, Defenders 8 midfield,  9 and strikers 8 we could argue some play out of position but thats the managers choice.   
Now quality is a different subject all together as is the systems played and Brit is a typical statical example of both. 

I didn’t think we looked tired but lost and chasing a game that got out of hand and I would even say we lost the plot, the will against a quicker better organised attacking team. 
But you make a good point and over the next few games it’s something worth observing. 

Oh and in the last post I just included a few observations that was on my mind at the time.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sanddancer said:

I support your argument of players having more game time then others but again after 14 games with international breaks I don’t buy into fatigue being a major factor but again I’m not saying it won’t factor at some point.  We have registered  players GK. 4, Defenders 8 midfield,  9 and strikers 8 we could argue some play out of position but thats the managers choice.   
Now quality is a different subject all together as is the systems played and Brit is a typical statical example of both. 

I didn’t think we looked tired but lost and chasing a game that got out of hand and I would even say we lost the plot, the will against a quicker better organised attacking team. 
But you make a good point and over the next few games it’s something worth observing. 

Oh and in the last post I just included a few observations that was on my mind at the time.  

Fair enough regarding your view on the fatigue issue. I'm not sure it was a major factor today either, but I think it contributed a little bit. Of the top of my head, the way I saw it; Dijksteel, McNair, Saville and to a lesser extent Howson all looked a little off the pace. We sat deeper (1st half especially) and we didn't seem to have the same pressing  urgency (barring the first 15/20 minutes) than we did against Derby. Is that due to fatigue? Maybe a small part of it is, but I suppose other than a player coming out and saying they are knackered we'll probably never know. 

In McNair's case for the whole of October and November the only back-up he (and Fry) have had is Wood. With Howson and Saville, you had Morsy on the bench today, but he's missed 4 games with injury so how fit he actually was I'm not sure. I'd be inclined to say NW not bringing him on was an indication that he wasn't fully fit. But since Morsy has been brought in, he's near enough played every game with Howson and Saville. Going forwards I think we'll need to rotate and play 2/3 of them, especially during December, if we want to keep thing fresh.

It's the lack of depth in these areas where I think we are in the minority compared to the other teams in the league. I actually think Warnock has gotten it right in terms of rotating certain positions, the 2 strikers as an example and to a lesser extent the wingers. But I think the lack of depth in the centre back and central midfield positions, has forced his hand a little bit in terms of McNair, Howson, Tav and Saville near enough playing every minute of every of game.

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

Just saw Britts miss from a yard out, don't anyone talk to me about playing to his strengths again on here 😂

I said at the time even any of us could have put that in the back of the net. 🤦‍♂️

Also think the ref was quite generous to award the penalty. On another day he might've got booked for diving.

I have a feeling that we may not have been physically fatigued but mentally fatigued.  They looked sloppy when the got off the bus half of them masked and half not.  They arrived expecting to win and set about dong so.  Unfortunately with Stearrman going off Britt's dominance disappeared.  This put those who were expecting their usual armchair ride under pressure.  There is nothing worse than having to respond to what you did not expect.  Switching back on is almost impossible for many

We have another keeper, not as vocal but he might get into the right positions and have a chance of saving.  Spence could have gone to right back to save Dijksteel if he was injured, maybe Warnock didn't trust him.  sooner or later McNair and Saville were going to have a bad day at the office.  I didn't expect them to both do it at the same time.  Woody would not have let us down.

Britt probably needs to play himself back into form and we warned Akpom was never going to be the biggest scorer on the planet

Maybe Warnock needs to have an extra special look at Dodds, Burrell and Hackney if things are that bad and we need some fresh blood

Think I’ll chalk this one up to one of those days. Too many players were having a off day. Players that a are usually solid for us. Paddy, Dijksteel, Fry, Tav and Saville were all well below par. Britt was even below his usual low standard. 
The disappointing thing was how NW reacted to it off more accurately how inactive he was. 
Huddersfield were very average to but luckily they got us on exactly the right day for them. It’s all about how we react on Wednesday now as Swansea will be a tough game. Just watching them now and they look pretty good. Certainly in midfield but they seem to have a similar issue to us in the way that they need a decent striker

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Uwe said:

Think I’ll chalk this one up to one of those days. Too many players were having a off day. Players that a are usually solid for us. Paddy, Dijksteel, Fry, Tav and Saville were all well below par. Britt was even below his usual low standard. 
The disappointing thing was how NW reacted to it off more accurately how inactive he was. 
Huddersfield were very average to but luckily they got us on exactly the right day for them. It’s all about how we react on Wednesday now as Swansea will be a tough game. Just watching them now and they look pretty good. Certainly in midfield but they seem to have a similar issue to us in the way that they need a decent striker

I’m more concerned with what NW didn’t do then did. We had 5 subs that could have been utilised and made a difference but despite Brit having his usual off day he did nothing. The game was running away from us early second half and a change at that stage could have made a difference but NW dallied. 
We should never had gone in 2-1 down at half time having blown a lead with a team that was once recognised as one of the best marshalled defensive. 
I thought NW hesitated and got it wrong and the worry for me, it’s not the first time 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

I said at the time even any of us could have put that in the back of the net. 🤦‍♂️

Also think the ref was quite generous to award the penalty. On another day he might've got booked for diving.

When a ball is hammered in and it's slightly bobbling, it isn't easy to control where it goes when you get contact on it.  Some of you must play football at a decent standard so you would already know this.  If you don't believe me, go in your garden and get someone to smash balls across to you while you try and slide in and see how often you get the ball to go where you want it to.  It looks easy because it's right in front of the goal obviously, but when you're stretching and the ball is coming in at pace, it is never quite that easy.  That's not me defending Assombalonga, cos he should have scored at least once in the first half either way in my opinion.  As for the penalty, he should have had one before that.  He got shoved by a defender in the area, then when he shoved the defender back, the ref blew for a freekick to them, which is ridiculous.  Akpom will be in against Swansea I expect as Warnock seems to be rotating them.

47 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

When a ball is hammered in and it's slightly bobbling, it isn't easy to control where it goes when you get contact on it.  Some of you must play football at a decent standard so you would already know this.  If you don't believe me, go in your garden and get someone to smash balls across to you while you try and slide in and see how often you get the ball to go where you want it to.  It looks easy because it's right in front of the goal obviously, but when you're stretching and the ball is coming in at pace, it is never quite that easy.  That's not me defending Assombalonga, cos he should have scored at least once in the first half either way in my opinion.  As for the penalty, he should have had one before that.  He got shoved by a defender in the area, then when he shoved the defender back, the ref blew for a freekick to them, which is ridiculous.  Akpom will be in against Swansea I expect as Warnock seems to be rotating them.

The average fat middle aged bloke on the Internet wouldn't have even got into that position, he would have been in no man's land out of breath. 

Saying that its Britts job to put them away so he deserves any criticism he gets. 

36 minutes ago, Duvel said:

The average fat middle aged bloke on the Internet wouldn't have even got into that position, he would have been in no man's land out of breath. 

Saying that its Britts job to put them away so he deserves any criticism he gets. 

I'm not really talking about that.  I'm talking about the act of sliding to meet a ball coming at speed across you.  Of course he should have scored it but I don't think it's as easy as people are making out, that's all.  The proximity to the goal makes it look like a tap-in but it isn't.  How many times do you see a cross fired in like that and the defender put it in the back of the net while trying to block or clear it?  Because it's not easy to control what happens when it's driven in, and it's even harder when you're sliding.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I'm not really talking about that.  I'm talking about the act of sliding to meet a ball coming at speed across you.  Of course he should have scored it but I don't think it's as easy as people are making out, that's all.  The proximity to the goal makes it look like a tap-in but it isn't.  How many times do you see a cross fired in like that and the defender put it in the back of the net while trying to block or clear it?  Because it's not easy to control what happens when it's driven in, and it's even harder when you're sliding.

You said himself he should have scored, I'm sure we are agreeing aren't we? Or are we fighting i don't know 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1