oneBoro Forum

Huddersfield Town V Boro 3-2 ( Johnson, Assombalonga))

This was a wake-up call. I'd rather have it now than later. We've been doing pretty well lately but this is the Champo - you cannot write off any team at any point. At the moment, we do not have the form, or the consistency, to challenge for a play-off place, let alone automatic promotion. Hopefully, our strikers will get over their crisis of confidence and our defence will return to their form pre-today. 

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Game Details: Venue: John Smith Stadium (or if your prefer Kirklees Stadium) Huddersfield Date: Saturday 28th November 2020 Kick off: 1500hrs or 3pm f you do not understand the 24 hour

That’s because it happened 10 minutes before you actually witnessed it. 

With the amount of Subs now allowed I wouldn't be surprised if NW threw the gauntlet down to Roberts and Watmore after the Johnson and Spence cameos the other night and started with them again. With m

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, TheJew said:

We will comfortably be a mid table team this season. That's about all there is to it.

I like Warnock, but there is no reason for for him to be here if we are going for mid table. Warnock will probably only be here a season or 2 at best. If we only expect mid table we should have went for a long term manager

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Blanco said:

What current form is Roberts on?

Your guess is as good as mine. Warnock won’t play him. But when your team is struggling to score goals and you’re playing a full back right wing, you’d think it’d be worth giving him a bit of game time to see if he can play himself into some form. Because, barring a 20 minute cameo against a tiring Derby defence, Spence has offered nothing going forward in that position. So what’s to lose?

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Your guess is as good as mine. Warnock won’t play him. But when your team is struggling to score goals and you’re playing a full back right wing, you’d think it’d be worth giving him a bit of game time to see if he can play himself into some form. Because, barring a 20 minute cameo against a tiring Derby defence, Spence has offered nothing going forward in that position. So what’s to lose?

Nothing at all. But you said that you would pick Roberts based on current form. I was curious as to how you came to that conclusion that’s all. I didn’t think that he played too well against Derby but fully understand that he hasn’t had a chance to get up to speed. I feel that there is more to the Roberts story than what we are hearing. It’s a strange one for me

1 minute ago, Blanco said:

Nothing at all. But you said that you would pick Roberts based on current form. I was curious as to how you came to that conclusion that’s all. I didn’t think that he played too well against Derby but fully understand that he hasn’t had a chance to get up to speed. I feel that there is more to the Roberts story than what we are hearing. It’s a strange one for me

I don't think there is more to it really, I just don't think Warnock likes his style of play. The only confusing thing is why we brought him back since that is clearly the case. Did Gibson sanction it over his head?

Players often begin in one position and end up being placed in another role for much of their career. Hickton began as a defender and became a centre forward, Kenny Burns was a forward that became a centre back. Beckenbauer was an attacking midfielder that became the original "sweeper". Spence and Coulson may well spend most of their professional careers in a more advanced role than they started out. Paddy McNair has suffered because different managers see him in different roles. Pulis wanted him in the role he is now occupying and from what I understand, he saw himself as a much more attacking player and when Woody tried that he was not able to be consistent enough to hold his place. We are lucky enough to have a couple of players in Howson and Tavernier that can occupy a variety of roles reasonably effectively but sometimes it takes years before a "good" player in one role becomes very good in another role, so don't condemn a player in his first year or two at this level for being a bit in and out. We all want to see success this season and I am sure Warnock does too, but some rebuilds take a bit longer. The main aim is to improve on last season and while I think we could challenge for the playoffs, I would not consider it a failure if the narrowly missed out and were able to improve enough to do it next season. I think we will see plenty of Roberts and Watmore as time goes on, but they will not be used in every game, most probably the ones that Warnock thinks are either weak teams or favour playing out from the back, where he has more chances to be given the ball in the area he is most effective. Could be totally wrong but we'll see in the next month or so      

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I don't think there is more to it really, I just don't think Warnock likes his style of play. The only confusing thing is why we brought him back since that is clearly the case. Did Gibson sanction it over his head?

Oh I love an old Gibbo over the managers head theory 🙄. You do know that it stems from your unhealthy feelings for Krankie 🤪

4 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Oh I love an old Gibbo over the managers head theory 🙄. You do know that it stems from your unhealthy feelings for Krankie 🤪

Haha well it's either that or Warnock looks to have gotten this one all wrong - I'll let you decide!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Blanco said:

Sorry, in my earlier post, I meant that I’d pick Johnson on current form, not Roberts. I wouldn’t usually have Johnson in my starting line up but he deserves to be there right now. I’d pick Roberts because he’s our most creative player and we currently lack creativity. 

I don’t think there’s anything more to it than the fact that Warnock doesn’t trust him defensively. There’s a reason why the only game he has started recently was at home to the bottom side in the league. I feel it all just sums up Warnock’s mindset, that the deciding attribute for a winger is their defensive qualities. I’d get it if we had a load of other attacking players on the pitch but we start with one striker, a pretty defensive winger on the other side and three hard working midfielders. Just so negative. 

Robert’s had 218mins playing time and I go along with what someone early stated, the less he plays the greater his status. 
Roberts is not the saviour because the team needs a lot more then any single player can bring to the squad, unity, creativity, belief, communication. 
Equally NW has managed to create a team that is hard to beat, but on the other hand, find it hard to win. 
The league is not easy and we all know that a month can see a team flying high and drop 6 or 7 positions in a blink of a eye. 
Lets get to the half way mark and then judge, but I feel upper mid finish.. 

3 hours ago, sanddancer said:

As you agreed all teams face the same predicament but I said I don’t agree when we have players NW won’t use. We are also allowed 5 subs which were not used. 
 I’ll go one step further in saying part of the problem lies with NW tactics and his reluctance to make changes quick enough which has cost us more points then won. I’m talking about a few draws turned wins. 
I also stated our elevated position give people a false sense of security and defending games won’t win the amount of points they expected. I also said we would be found out and we have. 
I also said I’m not disappointed we have 3 points from 3 games and should the loses have been down to attacking or exciting flare not many would have been so easily critical. Unfortunately they were not. 
What it has shown is we can defend if defending is all we need to do, but, we can’t attack and defend. For me that’s down to belief, midfield, leaders and talkers, 

I think some of the players today looked fatigued, in my opinion. NW not picking certain players, not making substitutions earlier or even using all 5 allowed substitutions (recently), will further fatigue certain players as they will have to continue to play on. Howson, McNair, Dijksteel, Saville and Tav have all played over 1100 minutes so far this season. Only Brentford have the same amount of outfield players (5) as us, to have played over 1100 minutes. So although we both agree we are in the same predicament as every other team, our circumstances in terms of player numbers are certainly different.

Regarding your other points they are well made, but I'm not sure why you have made them when the original discussion was regarding player fitness and how I thought it played a small part in today's performance.

• Like 1

Yeah the fatigue thing cant be used as a mitigating factor as every team in the league is dealing with the same schedule, some with a couple of extra cup games earlier in the season and some with more than just 2 international players. Yes we have a smaller squad than some but we also have players in the squad who aren't getting minutes which is the managers decision.

Fatigue management is just another facet of management and if we start to lose games because of it that's on the management team.