oneBoro Forum

What a massive Championship win over Swansea City at the Riverside on Wednesday evening to keep us ticking away nicely with the chasing pack

Ducan Watmore putting us in a great position with 2 goals, the 2nd was an excellent finish, then made his way for Saville to come on & be part of a defensive barrier to keep Swansea at bay, a master stroke from the manager, we need to wrap Watmore up in cotton wool if he’s as good as that at finishing                                                                                                                                    There were some big performers & tired legs out there on Wednesday evening, I dont think anything was left out on the pitch, those players will actually run through a brick wall for their manager

NW will have a few selection dilemmas that managers enjoy when we make the trip to Stoke City for another mouth watering top of the table championship clash with Stoke who sit one point & two places above the mighty Boro, 25 points, to Boro’s 24 points with 4 points separating top to tenth place

Will NW stick with the same team formation, bring in Assombalonga, will he change it around to accommodate Roberts, will Saville fit in alongside Morsy who, for me, is a must in the starting 11, will Dijksteel be available?

Bola was immense the other night & getting better each game, McNair too, who was like a magnet on wednesday evening, when the ball sort of went to him, since NW 1st walked through the door, the transformation & work within the team is amazing

Ironically, the Swansea 3-0 home defeat last season was Jonathan Woodgate’s final game as our manager, the following game Stoke away, was Neil Warnock’s 1st game in charge & the start of our revival to keep us in the Championship, what a transformation since then to now

27/12/1902 - 1st away game against Stoke City, Boro winning 2-0

Record of Stoke v Boro

Won 10

Drew 11

Lost 23

Goals scored – 48

Goals against - 79

Biggest away win v Stoke  5-2 twice one in 1956 & 1959

A number of players who played for both team

Graham Kavanagh -  Started at the Boro & between 1991-1996 played 35 games, scoring 3 goals, we loaned him to Stoke in 1996 where he played 3 games, scoring one goal, signed a permanent deal & went on to play a further 203 games, scoring 33 goals. Has the honour of scoring Stoke's first goal at the Britannia Stadium in a League Cup match against Rochdale.

Mick Kennedy - Loved Micks (RIP) time at the Boro, between 1982-84 he played 68 games, scoring 5 goals, He ended up at Stoke where he played 39 games in 1990–91 scoring three goals, in a poor season which saw Stoke finish in their lowest ever league position of 14th in the third tier

John Mahoney – John Neal 1st signing & our record signing at the time, joined the Boro from Stoke in July 1977 for £90,000.   when “he heard of our interest he was quoted as saying, I didn't want to leave, but when I looked at the fixture list, Stoke were away at Mansfield & Boro at home to Liverpool, I knew I had to go." He spent two seasons at Ayresome Park making 90 appearances, scoring 2 goals - 282 games for Stoke scoring 25 goals

Nicky Mohan – 99 games for the Boro, scoring 9 goals, 92 games for Stoke, scoring 6 goals, he also played for STOKEsley

Dean Whitehead –  55 games for the Boro - 132 games for Stoke

Peter Beagrie - Started out at the Boro where he played 33 games between 1983-86, scoring 2 goals, 1988-89 he played 54 games for Stoke, scoring 7 goals

Brian Horne - 1992 he played 4 games in goal for the Boro & was our 1st sub keeper (apart from outfield player Brian Orritt) & replaced injured Ironside for his debut in goal, wearing the No12 shirt, another 1st , he left to play a single loan game for Stoke

Robert Huth –  Between 2006-09 played 53 games for Boro, scoring 2 goals - Signed for Stoke in 2009 -15 played 149 games, scoring 13 goals

Ryan Shotton  - Played 48 games for Stoke between 2007 - 15, scoring one goal, he later signed for us  & between 2017-20 played 75 games, scoring one goal

Tuncay Şanlı - Between 2007-09 played 70 games for Boro, scoring 18 goals - Signed for Stoke in 2009 -11 played 44 games, scoring 5 goals

Mark Crossley - Played 23 games for the Boro between 2000-2003 when he was loaned to Stoke twice playing 11 games

Jonathan Woodgate  - 2 spells at the Boro with a total of 73 games, scoring 2 goals, played 17 games for Stoke in season 2011-2012

Chris Kamara - Played 60 games for Stoke between 1988-90, scoring 5 goals, in February 1993 LL signed CM on a one-month loan, his spell at the Boro lasted just five games, the Boro couldn’t afford to offer him a permanent contract

Andrew Davies – 2 spells at the Boro, where he started his career & between 2002-2008 he played 53 games, after a few clubs he played 2 games at Stoke between 2008-2012, his 2nd spell at Boro was on loan from Stoke in 2011 he then played 6 games

Danny Batth - Played 10 loan games at the Boro season 2018-19, signed for Stoke in 2019 & to date has played 70 games, scoring 4 goals

Ritchie De Laet - On 17 August 2007, he signed a 3 year contract with Championship club Stoke City for an initial £100,000 fee, didn’t play a single game for Stoke, played 10 games on loan for the Boro.

Carlo Nash - 3 games for the Boro between 2003 - 2005, played 10 games for Stoke

John Eustace - 2003 loaned from Coventry he only made one substitute appearance for the Boro, away to Liverpool, where he appeared for only the final two minutes of the game, signed for Stoke the following season.

Shay Given - Kept ten clean sheets in 16 league games while at the Boro.

Dave Kitson – Boro 6 games 3 goals - Stoke 34 games 3 goals,

Frazer Richardson –  Season 2013-14 he played 11 games for the Boro 11, zero goals, I was at his debut at the Valley which we won 1-0, he played 13 games for Stoke over 2 loan spells in season 2003, 1 goal

Brian Little brought as 1st team coach by Bruce Rioch, managed Stoke 1998-99 season

Didn’t know:

Cameron Jerome, who between 2011 & 2014 played 50 games for Stoke, was released from the Boro in 2003, was a 92nd-minute substitute, along with David Murphy & Stuart Parnaby 2 ex Boro players, as Birmingham won the 2011 League Cup, defeating Arsenal 2–1 at Wembley

17th January 1976 Due to storm damage at Stokes ground the 1st division fixture had to moved to Port Vales ground, Stoke winning 1-0

Blast from the past 

• Like 4
  • Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a massive Championship win over Swansea City at the Riverside on Wednesday evening to keep us ticking away nicely with the chasing pack Ducan Watmore putting us in a great position with 2 go

Posted Images

Great match day thread. Another tough game as Stoke look like they finally have a composed outfit who have a chance. But reckon we can go there and get the three points. Big month this December for us. Would like Watmore to start again as feel his movement helps our attacking threat alot. 

Great OP again. This feels like a game we need to win to stay in touch with the top six. If Watmore and Morsy can continue last night's form, we have a great chance of another three points, but we desperately need to get our strikers performing better - i.e. performing at all.

If Watmore got a standing ovation from the rest of the team last night, he has to be the first name on the team sheet. I'd start with an unchanged XI other than giving Howson a well-earned and much-needed break, but I'd like to see bolder substitutions. Swap Watmore for Roberts, swap one striker for another if they're not contributing anything on the day, etc.

9 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I’m sure Nathan Wood got a standing ovation from the team after his only game and we haven’t seen sight nor sound of him since 🤷‍♂️

Warnock said he was going to play on Wednesday until he watched clips of the Swans and decided he needed someone for their trickery, thought it would be too much too soon for Wood.

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

Warnock said he was going to play on Wednesday until he watched clips of the Swans and decided he needed someone for their trickery, thought it would be too much too soon for Wood.

I didn’t know that. I thought that after his performance against Forest (I think) he deserves another shot at game time. Glad to hear he is still in the plans

1 hour ago, Blanco said:

I didn’t know that. I thought that after his performance against Forest (I think) he deserves another shot at game time. Glad to hear he is still in the plans

I think we will definitely see him this month as games are nonstop. Think Wycombe could be his chance 

• Like 1

Tough game as others have said but we do need to start winning away from home again settle for a draw at this moment but following our recent win we need to keep the momentum up.

Good op Erimus74

• Like 1

We have done tremendously well to get to this many games & only a few points off the playoff positions & 3 off the 2nd, with a wafer thin squad & the remainder of the players who struggled for the majority of last season then so far it's been a success 

UTMB