oneBoro Forum

Boro V Millwall 3-0 (Watmore (2) Tavernier)

13 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

We may not of won 3-0, may of been 2-0 but comfortable but how do you know, do you have a crystal ball? If you do then please predict my next week's accumluator.

I was happy we went 2 up front and it's something I've mentioned especially as we started the season that way. Only difference is when we started the season with 2 up top we played wing backs rather than a back 4 and a added midfielder.

Today was refreshing to see, but I maintain even with this formation and team you won't see many repeated performances imo because Millwall are poor defensively and don't score many goals either.

Why was today refreshing to see if it was no different to what we usually see?  Try and make some sense if you can otherwise you seem to be agreeing with me that today was good precisely because it was different.

We may not have won at all today, we may have won 10-0, I clearly can't tell you with 100% certainty what would have happened, only what I think.  I don't believe we'd have won with the ease we did today if we'd played exactly the same we as we played on Wednesday.  In fact, over the course of this season, our two biggest wins have come with similar line ups, 2 central midfielders and what amounts to 4 attacking players.  It could be coincidence or it could be that more attacking line ups give us a greater likelihood to score goals.  I think that the times we've scored 2 goals this season have also tended to come with more attacking line ups as well but I'd have to check on that to be sure.

But rather than talk about what might have happened I think it's easier to talk about what has happened.  Most of the time we play crap football and most of the time we don't win the game.  Today we played some decent football and we won the game handily.  I know which I prefer and so today I am happy with what I saw.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Game over after 20 mins, would have been nice to score a few more but that was a comfortable win either way.  Two thumbs up 👍👍

Warnock's got me followed.

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, CrazyL said:

Betenelli shouldn’t be playing, Warnock should resign, Gibson should sell the club. No doubt if we had lost today you would have been on here, explaining in detail what Warnock should have done. 

I still think Warnock should resign and I'd be happy with Gibson selling the club as well.  No idea what those two things have to do with the team selection before the game though?  My opinion on those things certainly hasn't changed because of the win today.  See, if we played decent football week in week out then I'd be happy with the manager but as we don't then doing it once in a while isn't enough.

Bettenelli has been poor and I'd be more than happy with him being dropped.  If you think he was key to us winning the game today then I can only assume you didn't actually watch it. 

6 minutes ago, Brunners said:

FWIW in his post game he essentially said we need to play 2 strikers.

"Got to try and get two strikers if we can, cause we're not good enough really on us own up there."

Yeah I picked up on that, I stated many times that I think he wants to play 2 strikers and we would of done had fletch not got injured but we don't have the wingers to play that system since so he's built us on being solid instead. 

21 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Why was today refreshing to see if it was no different to what we usually see?  Try and make some sense if you can otherwise you seem to be agreeing with me that today was good precisely because it was different.

We may not have won at all today, we may have won 10-0, I clearly can't tell you with 100% certainty what would have happened, only what I think.  I don't believe we'd have won with the ease we did today if we'd played exactly the same we as we played on Wednesday.  In fact, over the course of this season, our two biggest wins have come with similar line ups, 2 central midfielders and what amounts to 4 attacking players.  It could be coincidence or it could be that more attacking line ups give us a greater likelihood to score goals.  I think that the times we've scored 2 goals this season have also tended to come with more attacking line ups as well but I'd have to check on that to be sure.

But rather than talk about what might have happened I think it's easier to talk about what has happened.  Most of the time we play crap football and most of the time we don't win the game.  Today we played some decent football and we won the game handily.  I know which I prefer and so today I am happy with what I saw.

Honestly, go back and check previous comments and threads. I haven't said at all that I don't want to see attacking football, nor have I said I don't want to see offensive line ups. I merely said today was refreshing because he mixed up his tactics which I have stated I have wanted to see all season especially with 20mins to go, but playing today's formation against other teams I believe we will get beat more than we win because I don't believe we are good enough offensively .

All I'm saying is you came across that we only won today and played good football because he changed tactics and I am saying that imo is complete ***** unless you have a crystal ball. 

If you want to see attacking football and win most games, then good luck and try being realistic imo because atm we don't have the players/squad to do it consistently and imo I think the attacking team needs a complete overhaul for that to happen.

Tav isn't consistent enough for goals and assists.1 game doesn't change my opinion on that.

Roberts - Not getting a look in under Warnock.

Akpom - Clearly needs a target man alongside him. Successful at PAOK recently because they had a target man alongside him.

Britt - Never played to his strengths but is extremely poor.

So please tell me, where is our attacking football going to come from?

8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I still think Warnock should resign and I'd be happy with Gibson selling the club as well.  No idea what those two things have to do with the team selection before the game though?  My opinion on those things certainly hasn't changed because of the win today.  See, if we played decent football week in week out then I'd be happy with the manager but as we don't then doing it once in a while isn't enough.

Bettenelli has been poor and I'd be more than happy with him being dropped.  If you think he was key to us winning the game today then I can only assume you didn't actually watch it. 

All the same you might easily have taken a look at today’s team and been positive about it 🤷🏻‍♂️ You didn’t though. After the game you confidently ‘predicted’ that the same line up from Wednesday would not have won the way we did today. Easy to conclude, and impossible to prove after the event. I don’t necessarily disagree with a lot of your points to be honest, but it would be easier to hack if you were making them before the game rather than after, when we’ve won 3-0. You won’t though because your mind is made up re Warnock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, diggerlad07 said:

Honestly, go back and check previous comments and threads. I haven't said at all that I don't want to see attacking football, nor have I said I don't want to see offensive line ups. I merely said today was refreshing because he mixed up his tactics which I have stated I have wanted to see all season especially with 20mins to go.

All I'm saying is you came across that we only won today and played good football because he changed tactics and I am saying that imo is complete ***** unless you have a crystal ball. 

If you want to see attacking football and win most games, then good luck and try being realistic imo because atm we don't have the players/squad to do it consistently and imo I think the attacking team needs a complete overhaul for that to happen.

Tav isn't consistent enough for goals and assists.1 game doesn't change my opinion on that.

Roberts - Not getting a look in under Warnock.

Akpom - Clearly needs a target man alongside him. Successful at PAOK recently because they had a target man alongside him.

Britt - Never played to his strengths but is extremely poor.

So please tell me, where is our attacking football going to come from?

I didn't say that you want to see attacking football.  I said that I want to see decent football!  I never said you did or didn't.  You said it was refreshing today, which is exactly why I'm happy, but for some reason you are trying to mock me for it when you have said the same thing!

I think we did play better football today because we changed our approach and also that Millwall were crap as I said during the game.  I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance we'd have played the same if we'd started with the same team as we did on Wedneday for example.  I know that's impossible to prove, which is why it's clearly just my opinion, but it's an opinion based on what we've done since Warnock has been here, so it is actually based on something.

Where did our attacking football come from today?  Why don't we start there.  Was it just personnel or was it also attitude/instruction.  The weird thing is that I am clearly giving Warnock credit for today but getting panned for it 🙂

2 minutes ago, CrazyL said:

All the same you might easily have taken a look at today’s team and been positive about it 🤷🏻‍♂️ You didn’t though. After the game you confidently ‘predicted’ that the same line up from Wednesday would not have won the way we did today. Easy to conclude, and impossible to prove after the event. I don’t necessarily disagree with a lot of your points to be honest, but it would be easier to hack if you were making them before the game rather than after, when we’ve won 3-0. You won’t though because your mind is made up re Warnock.

I didn't say anything about the team other than making a joke about Spence and Bettenelli.  Nothing negative or positive, I didn't really comment on it at all.  The bit about Warnock and Gibson was in reply to TeaCider24's wish list, it had nothing to do with the team selection. 

My opinion of Warnock is based on two things, the football we've played since he's been here, and the football his teams have tended to play throughout his career.  If we'd played good football since he'd been here then I'd happy with him.  If he'd played good football throughout his managerial career elsewhere, but hadn't done it here yet, then I would have some optimism that it would eventually come.  However, his career to date hasn't demonstrated that, and his time here so far hasn't demonstrated it, so why would my opinion be a positive one?  That makes no sense.  But my opinion on today's game is positive, it's just that I don't expect it to continue.  If it does then my opinion will change as the football does.  Seems straightforward to me.

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

I didn't say that you want to see attacking football.  I said that I want to see decent football!  I never said you did or didn't.  You said it was refreshing today, which is exactly why I'm happy, but for some reason you are trying to mock me for it when you have said the same thing!

I think we did play better football today because we changed our approach and also that Millwall were crap as I said during the game.  I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance we'd have played the same if we'd started with the same team as we did on Wedneday for example.  I know that's impossible to prove, which is why it's clearly just my opinion, but it's an opinion based on what we've done since Warnock has been here, so it is actually based on something.

Where did our attacking football come from today?  Why don't we start there.  Was it just personnel or was it also attitude/instruction.  The weird thing is that I am clearly giving Warnock credit for today but getting panned for it 🙂

I am not panning you for it mate, I am just quite frustrated that everyone was out nailing Warnock because of back to back defeats midweeks when I think we have been solid under Warnocks tenure and because we played well today that fans change their opinions once again.

Personally, I think we look a lot better side as a team with 4 at the back as it gives us more attacking options. Today could be done to many reasons, yes 2 strikers made a difference but I think the players had a point to prove today and I think we would of won regardless because Millwall are so poor offensively and defensively. 

Today, our attacking outlet imo came from having a back 4 and not playing bloody Spence as attacking full back - again that's my personal opinion. We didn't just play 4-4-2 today as at times Tav dropped into the CM and Watmore dropped deeper to make us more rigid.

Seem to be going round in circles, so we are probably best off leaving this conversation I think mate. 👍

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, diggerlad07 said:

I am not panning you for it mate, I am just quite frustrated that everyone was out nailing Warnock because of back to back defeats midweeks when I think we have been solid under Warnocks tenure and because we played well today that fans change their opinions once again.

Personally, I think we look a lot better side as a team with 4 at the back as it gives us more attacking options. Today could be done to many reasons, yes 2 strikers made a difference but I think the players had a point to prove today and I think we would of won regardless because Millwall are so poor offensively and defensively. 

Today, our attacking outlet imo came from having a back 4 and not playing bloody Spence as attacking full back - again that's my personal opinion. We didn't just play 4-4-2 today as at times Tav dropped into the CM and Watmore dropped deeper to make us more rigid.

Seem to be going round in circles, so we are probably best off leaving this conversation I think mate. 👍

I didn't nail Warnock for back to back defeats.  I can't stand the way we tend to play under him, win or lose.  I can't speak for anyone else but the only person you are speaking to here is me so I have to assume the comments are directed at me.  Tav and Watmore were dropping in mostly after we were 3-0 up, before then Tav and Johnson were pushed right up when we had the ball, and would drop back in when we didn't, but for the early part of the game we had most of the ball so they seemed to be pushed up.  Go 3-0 up after 20 mins and you can do whatever you like pretty much. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

Sorry I shouldn't try and have a sense of humour on this forum. Although I do appreciate the Beasteel! 

I mentioned his tactics knowing it was going to get a reaction because that's all us Boro fans bang on about regardless of if we win, draw or lose 😂.

I was actually meaning more than fans who were slating him saying he would never go offensive and today he did and proved US all wrong with that set up.

Do you think he would have went with the team and tactics he did today it Howson had been fit?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, diggerlad07 said:

I couldn't agree more and ultimately that sums up our fan base at the moment. Warnock is bridging that gap but it's still divided from fans who expect entertaining football from the 90's when we played attacking football, got to cup finals and ultimately got relegated. 

Oh another one of those theorists that believes that playing attacking football gets you relegated. 

2 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

I was thinking the exact same! I'm not Britt's fan but why mention him today? Although I did find it funny that we went him up top by himself after playing with 2 strikers for the whole of the game. Very ironic! 😂

Where at the midweek haters who were slating Warnock and his tactics?

Well the midweek tactics clearly didn't work, whereas we went with a different formation today (maybe forced by injuries) and got a very different result.

18 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Do you think he would have went with the team and tactics he did today it Howson had been fit?

Guaranteed if Howson was fit today we would of played with 3 CM's and I don't think you would of seen Watmore.

33 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Delighted with the result and performance today. Hopefully follow it up with another victory on Wednesday 

I thought you'd be raging that we dared trying to score again after we went 1-0 up 😉