oneBoro Forum

Boro V Rotherham United (Postponed due to Covid 19 issues)

55 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

But ultimately testing doesn't prevent the spread of the virus...people behaving responsibly does.

The majority of EFL clubs appear to have done okay, so far. So the question has to be - why haven't those affected clubs been managing their players better (or why haven't the players themselves been acting more responsibly)?

Rotherham is (I'm guessing) one of the areas currently under Tier 3 restrictions, so the virus is obviously more prevalent there anyway, but Ipswich is in a Tier 2 area, so you have to question why they've had an outbreak there.

Boro are Tier 3, but we've managed to contain it pretty well so far, with only the manager testing positive and one player having to self-isolate due to their girlfriend also testing positive. If we can do it, why can't other clubs?

Nobody is saying testing outright prevents transmission. We're not talking about 1-to-1 transmission here though, that's not what an outbreak is. Especially with this virus that can silently spread before symptoms occur (if they ever do at all), frequent testing is the difference between telling one or two people to self-isolate to the situation we're in now which is games being called off due to significant number of cases in one small group of people.

I mean, these are primarily footballers playing a contact sport and you're talking about following regulations the same way as the rest of us do. If you can't keep them tested frequently then the only responsible behaviour is to stop them playing altogether or to keep entire teams bubbled up and away from the rest of the world.

Lambert is saying their chairman has had to pay for 2 lots of testing off his own back and that still doesn't cover a fifth overall of what Bundesliga 3 clubs have had according to him. That's not good enough when we're playing games every 3-4 days.

The next round of EFL testing is apparently in week commencing 4th January. Say we played Rotherham and they didn't know about some of their cases, we played Sheff Wed and then Wycombe and passed it on without knowing. Is that the fault of irresponsible behaviour or irresponsible testing?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spent the last hour and a half putting a fricken hamster cage together (as my little girl was sad that her pet hamster wouldn’t get anything for Christmas)  Just gonna go for a walk then it’s gon

The Boro v The Millers 26th December 2020 Kick Off: 15:00 Location: FORTRESS ERIMUS (aka The Riverside) "Neil Warnock to the rescue!" Will it or won't it? That is the question. Bor

I'm not sure actually. Something like this perhaps?   Get 3 in a row and you win a handful of Quality Street (other brands of sweet tubs are available).  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

But ultimately testing doesn't prevent the spread of the virus...people behaving responsibly does.

The majority of EFL clubs appear to have done okay, so far. So the question has to be - why haven't those affected clubs been managing their players better (or why haven't the players themselves been acting more responsibly)?

Rotherham is (I'm guessing) one of the areas currently under Tier 3 restrictions, so the virus is obviously more prevalent there anyway, but Ipswich is in a Tier 2 area, so you have to question why they've had an outbreak there.

Boro are Tier 3, but we've managed to contain it pretty well so far, with only the manager testing positive and one player having to self-isolate due to their girlfriend also testing positive. If we can do it, why can't other clubs?

It sounds to me that you think the only way you can contract this virus is if you've done something irresponsible and that it's your fault.

Complete and utter ignorant nonsense and I expected better from you

• Haha 2

My Auntie is perhaps one of the cleanest people I know, she's been following regulations to the letter, perhaps going even further than the official line at times in order to avoid getting it. She still got it. There's no guarantees at all. But frequent testing could at least catch potential outbreaks before they happen and that's why Lambert is pointing the finger here.

• Like 1

I don't think it's a bad thing to have extra recovery time giving our small squad. Also it'll mean Sheffield Wednesday will be playing while we have our feet up therefore they be more knackered for our game while we are refreshed.  So should definitely help us against Sheffield Wednesday

22 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

My Auntie is perhaps one of the cleanest people I know, she's been following regulations to the letter, perhaps going even further than the official line at times in order to avoid getting it. She still got it. There's no guarantees at all. But frequent testing could at least catch potential outbreaks before they happen and that's why Lambert is pointing the finger here.

"Could" being the operative word here. Its like the old line trotted out by smokers, about how they knew someone who never smoked but still got cancer, while old so-and-so smoked 40 a day and lived to a ripe old age.

On a national level we're having more testing than ever before, but also recording record levels of infections, so it doesn't necessarily follow that more testing equals better containment.

Presumably your Aunt (hope she's okay, by the way) was just one of the unlucky ones, or had a momentary lapse in following the guidance. But for every person like her, there are probably dozens of irresponsible idiots who aren't even trying to be careful.

Its all statistical, but acting responsibly still greatly reduces your chances of catching Covid.

Back to the earlier post, all EFL clubs are subject to the same levels of testing and it seems the majority of clubs have managed to protect their players (who aren't generally known for being the most responsible people) pretty well, so far.

Obviously Lambert's going to point the finger at the testing to try and deflect attention, but I'd be asking what the players were getting up to.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1

If one person in 85 in London has Covid, I don't think you have to be irresponsible to catch it. It's everywhere. The pumps at our local petrol station underpinned an outbreak, even when people wore gloves and did pay at pump rather than going into the shop.

Hope the players come back refreshed after their turkey (or Quorn roast), and fingers crossed we don't lose all the positive momentum we've built in recent matches. At least fatigue shouldn't be a factor now!

10 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Out of interest when was the last time we didn't play a Boxing day fixture?

Most years I’d say. We’re usually crap over Christmas 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Most years I’d say. We’re usually crap over Christmas 

Just having a look at recent fixtures last time we didn't play on boxing day was 2015 and before that it was 2010.
I always though we were half decent through the Christmas period, especially boxing day. But it's normally January where we are rubbish!

43 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Just having a look at recent fixtures last time we didn't play on boxing day was 2015 and before that it was 2010.
I always though we were half decent through the Christmas period, especially boxing day. But it's normally January where we are rubbish!

I’m usually off work over Christmas and into the new year so it all blurs into one for me Dan 🍺😃

30 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I’m usually off work over Christmas and into the new year so it all blurs into one for me Dan 🍺😃

Haha! I'm stuck at work at the moment, so I am very jealous of you!
That is one thing I miss about working in Education, you get so much holiday!

• Like 1