oneBoro Forum

Time to re-evaluate Adrian Bevington's criticism for the "failed" Summer 2019 transfer window?

A year ago today Adrian Bevington was sacked as our Head of Recruitment Operations as a result of the "failed" Summer 2019 transfer window in which we signed Dijksteel, Bola and Browne. All three of them really struggled for us last season, and in the first few months of the 2019/2020 season there was a lively debate on here about whether their struggles were a result of poor recruitment, Woodgate not managing them well enough, or a mix of the two.

After the massive improvements of Dijksteel and Bola this season under Warnock, I think that time has shown that Bevington actually done his job very well and that our failure last season was due to Woodgate not managing them well enough. Even if you consider Browne a cheap disappointment, we still completed some good shrewd business in that transfer window overall. I wonder whether Steve Gibson looks back at the decision to sack Adrian Bevington and question whether he got it very wrong? At the very least I think he deserves a re-evaluation of the criticism that he received. 

As a side note, the way that Woodgate afterwards viciously attacked Adrian Bevington in the Evening Gazette was disgraceful and was typical of an inept, pound shop Donald Trump that needs to deflect blame for his own failings onto anyone but himself.

This is going to sound stupid but Woodgate struck me as someone who knew a decent player when he seen one. Not just from his time as our boss but way i seen him talk he seems to know the characteristics required to be a good player.

His issue is not that he cannot see talent. He can. His issue was he does not know how to coach or bring that talent to fruition imo

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Did he sign Braithwaite? TP couldnt get a tune out of him but he's 1-2ing with the best now.

The recruitment pays too high wages but it's the manager recruitment that's been letting us down. 

NW is a legend, gutted he's so old, Houlier just bought it and not much older than Neil. Hopefully Warnock will live forever and give boro a few more good years to get the foundations built that TP keeps trying to take credit for (which he didnt do at all) .

• Like 2

Looking back I think Woody may have the skills and ability to be a director of football with a head coach.

the problem is his personality and the way he has thrown everyone under the bus both when he was here and afterwards.

• Like 1

For me, Bevington just further represents everything bad about last season. The intentions, at least publicly, were right and in line with what we wanted. The execution, the people put in place to handle those changes, were wrong. I don't think it's any shock that Bevington, with the background he holds, had little to no effect on creating this so-called 'Golden Thread'. In fact, the only success you can possibly align with him is that at the time, it was a decent PR success, something he's much more known for achieving and perhaps something he should have stuck to instead of moving into areas of player recruitment.

Agree with the sentiments regarding Woodgate and his eye for talent. When he was a player at Tottenham he would spend time with scouts at the club reviewing data and analysis and actually give them recommendations. There were a number of U19 players that he recommended to Liverpool that are now playing at the top level in Europe.

Interested to know what Bevingtons full remit was as Head of Recruitment Operations as his background was a Reporter and PR/Communications.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Ayresome7 said:

Agree with the sentiments regarding Woodgate and his eye for talent. When he was a player at Tottenham he would spend time with scouts at the club reviewing data and analysis and actually give them recommendations. There were a number of U19 players that he recommended to Liverpool that are now playing at the top level in Europe.

Interested to know what Bevingtons full remit was as Head of Recruitment Operations as his background was a Reporter and PR/Communications.

This is important and something I pointed out at the time. His title was head of recruitment or something along those lines but we don't know if he was directly involved in spotting talent, making deals or just oversight of the process. I've had lots of heads and managers above me that don't really know the job but have the right managerial skills to do well in the role. 

Agree with what most have said, those three were the ones identified as Woody's hand picked targets from his presentation. Along with what others have correctly pointed out about Woody being a scout and very highly thought of at Liverpool, I'm hesitant to give Bevington any praise for the signings of those three. I think it shows that we should maybe hold on to Woody in some capacity in recruitment. 

18 hours ago, TLF10 said:

Where did Woodgate criticise Bevington? I cant find said article?

I think it was in an interview after Bevington left and before the window.

I can’t remember fully what was said but it was more the way he replied to questions.

Something like Bevington leaving doesn’t change a thing at the club. not sure if there was any more said

• Like 1