oneBoro Forum

Play-off Rivals...

On 3/10/2021 at 9:53 AM, AnglianRed said:

I don't think it would help if they still gave a blatantly incorrect decision.

Being able to hear the official's explanations only help if the end decision makes sense.

I've mentioned before that the standard of refereeing in rugby (and cricket) seems to be generally better in any case and the decisions more often than not reflect what is seen in the replays. Whereas in football there are still a lot of controversial decisions made even with VAR.

Might just further highlight the incompetence of the refs...or prove beyond doubt that the rules of the game need changing, if they are in fact applying the letter of the law?

I think one issue is that journalists, pundits and a lot of fans don’t actually know the laws of the game.

The ref would have to explain the law first then the guidelines then his interpretation of the event.

• Like 2
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm just imagining Woody giving the exact same presentation he gave here but because he couldn't work out how to delete the Boro Badge and replace it with a Bournemouth badge it's just this on every p

If Mogga wishes to walk away from management I would be all over him being our chief scout. He can then happily live back home and go spot some talent for us. He has always had a good knack of fi

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I think one issue is that journalists, pundits and a lot of fans don’t actually know the laws of the game.

The ref would have to explain the law first then the guidelines then his interpretation of the event.

I agree that the standard of refereeing in cricket (umpires that is) is much better. And there is one very important word involved...respect. And one reason for that respect is that most umpires have played the game at a high or even county level. 

Very few ex professional footballers turn to refereeing, and who can blame them?! Even journeyman footballers are paid eye-watering wages. And 'money' is paramount in the mindset of players. Basically 'I get loads more money than you, ref, so don't tell me what to do!'

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Johnny A said:

I agree that the standard of refereeing in cricket (umpires that is) is much better. And there is one very important word involved...respect. And one reason for that respect is that most umpires have played the game at a high or even county level. 

Very few ex professional footballers turn to refereeing, and who can blame them?! Even journeyman footballers are paid eye-watering wages. And 'money' is paramount in the mindset of players. Basically 'I get loads more money than you, ref, so don't tell me what to do!'

And yet players can make mistakes during a game without fans getting too het up about them, yet the moment a ref makes a mistake, he doesn’t know how to do his job!

A case of double standards, more ex footballers should be encouraged to become referees. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

And yet players can make mistakes during a game without fans getting too het up about them, yet the moment a ref makes a mistake, he doesn’t know how to do his job!

A case of double standards, more ex footballers should be encouraged to become referees. 

What world are you living in if you think players make mistakes and fans get don't annoyed about it?

Players get dogs abuse, there are absolutely loads of examples of players getting death threats and abuse if they make mistakes.

The difference is that players are meant to be competing against one another, the opposition often causes the mistakes, if players didn't make mistakes then every match would end 0-0, they are a natural part of the game and are integral to it.

Refereeing mistakes are not, they're not meant to be occurring in any situation.

Edited by TeaCider24
38 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

What world are you living in if you think players make mistakes and fans get don't annoyed about it?

Players get dogs abuse, there are absolutely loads of examples of players getting death threats and abuse if they make mistakes.

The difference is that players are meant to be competing against one another, the opposition often causes the mistakes, they are a natural part of the game and are integral to it.

Refereeing mistakes are not, they're not meant to be occurring in any situation.

Players don’t get dogs abuse and death threats for misplaced passes, mistimed tackles, firing over the bar, failing to trap a ball or missing a header, not in the same way that refs get abuse for any error of their judgement. 

You can’t say that referees mistakes are unacceptable, everyone makes mistakes it’s a human trait. You’ve also got the subjective nature of refereeing decisions, you see it all the time, 4 different people can look at the same incident and come up with a different take on it. I think you underestimate the difficult job that refs do. They are never going to be perfect. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

The difference is: It is not unfair, when Britt skies a penna .. it's unfair when Swansea win bacause of to big mistakes

Britt could sky a penalty after having a tap in handled on the line by a defender.  

Is it fair that because the defender cheated Britt now has to move the ball all the way back to the penalty spot and beat a goal keeper (something he’s not particularly good at) from much further out? 

Who knows what’s fair and what’s not?

2 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Players don’t get dogs abuse and death threats for misplaced passes, mistimed tackles, firing over the bar, failing to trap a ball or missing a header, not in the same way that refs get abuse for any error of their judgement. 

Did you not follow the club during Rudy Gestede's time as a player here?

3 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Except while most of them aren't the sharpest tools in the box, they are smart enough to not want to touch that particular hornet's nest with a barge pole.

Most are happy running their pubs, expanding their property portfolios, or following whatever post-career paths they've chosen.

I do feel the ones that decide to become pundits ought to become refs...lets see if they're so keen to air their opinions when they're actually on the pitch, surrounded by angry players...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

He was never on the pitch. 

He made 59 league appearances, I think, averaging around 36 and a half minutes across all those. And he still got abuse when he wasn't playing, even when he was injured. I've seen the word 'donkey' flutter around some of our players in the past but I don't think ever as much as I saw it in relation to Gestede.

I'd say the majority of fans couldn't wait to see the back of him the majority of time when he was here... and then when he did leave, people gave him abuse for that too because of the circumstances we were in and the contract situation.

16 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

He made 59 league appearances, I think, averaging around 36 and a half minutes across all those. And he still got abuse when he wasn't playing, even when he was injured. I've seen the word 'donkey' flutter around some of our players in the past but I don't think ever as much as I saw it in relation to Gestede.

I'd say the majority of fans couldn't wait to see the back of him the majority of time when he was here... and then when he did leave, people gave him abuse for that too because of the circumstances we were in and the contract situation.

That’s very different though. I’m talking about fans getting on a players back during a match for making a simple error not just a long-standing dislike for a player. 

Boro fans always like to have one player to pick on, at the moment it’s Betinnelli, before that it was Britt, preceded by Gestede and before that, Stuani. 

8 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

That’s very different though. I’m talking about fans getting on a players back during a match for making a simple error not just a long-standing dislike for a player. 

Boro fans always like to have one player to pick on, at the moment it’s Betinnelli, before that it was Britt, preceded by Gestede and before that, Stuani. 

How is it different when it happened when they were on the pitch too? The Riverside doesn't just give players an easy ride because they play for us. It's reactionary to events, just the same as it is for referees.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

How is it different when it happened when they were on the pitch too? The Riverside doesn't just give players an easy ride because they play for us. It's reactionary to events, just the same as it is for referees.

To be fair, I’ve not been for a while, I’ve mostly watched away matches in the last few years, maybe away fans are less grumpy.