oneBoro Forum

Sheffield Wednesday V Boro 2-1 (Watmore)

2033793874_Screenshot2020-12-24at15_00_30.png.41a6f7ffc1683a4f5f1f879de9e1d12e.png

The Owls v The Boro 29th December 2020

Kick Off: 19:00

"The game which sees us face one extremely unpopular former manger, when we thought we might've been facing another"

Tuesday night being Boro's next fixture means that we will not be having a Boxing Day game at all this year. Had we played on Monday, we could've pretended it was Boxing Day as the Bank Holiday aspect falls then. But no. It's not to be. No Boxing day fixture this year, which seems to follow a pattern of occurring every 5 years: 2020, 2015, 2010 (@DanFromDownSouth did some fixture list research)

Our boys should approach this game well rested after a busy set of fixtures since late November, playing 9 games in 29 days. Warnock has given the team both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to rest, so as long as they don't fall into the trap that I inevitably would (end up getting over excited and drinking too much) they should each be fresh as a daisy and well up for it. Tony Pulis will welcome his former employers to his new wrecking project in Sheffield, with a squad that bares little resemblance to the one which he left in the less than capable hands of Jonathan Woodgate. Pulis prides himself on making his teams hard to beat and avoid relegation. What we didn't realise at the start of his tenure with us, was he also liked to avoid promotion, suck the life out of a club, destroy confidence and make people question if football was really that important anyway. His transfer policy of purchasing capable giants saw us pay £7m for goal machine defender Aden Flint. This transfer proved extremely successful, with Flint converting his goal every 5.8 games ratio to one in 39. Pulis was also a massive fan of the forwards his predecessor Garrrry the snake had left to him. Now a Barcelona player, Martin Braithwaite was pushed out and vilified for not being a massive Pulis fan and Jordan Hugill was loaned in from West Ham. Hugill also proved to be a massive hit, with rumours that we might have to sign him permanently not worrying anyone at all...

Pulis had a squad (both seasons) that most of us felt could've got promoted with anyone else at the helm. We'll never know if that was the case as long as we all agree to completely ignore the disaster that was the Woodgate scandal. We'd had the warnings from West Brom fans about the carnage he'd caused there and they weren't exaggerating. That Playoff second leg against Aston Villa in his first year and the following season finishing outside the Playoffs but it still being a bigger achievement, left us scratching our heads in disbelief. The only positive from his time here was the brief flirtation with excitement we had when he unleashed Adama Traore. I get the feeling that Traore was literally the only player whose confidence grew under the stewardship of Pulis.

At the start of this season, when I saw that Garry Monk was still manager at Sheffield Wednesday and that they were starting the season with a 6 point deduction, I thought that it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person and team. I've never got over my visit to Hillsborough for the replay of the 1997 League Cup final which irrationally made me dislike Sheffield Wednesday, despite still supporting England any of our defeats at Wembley... Following his sacking and the subsequent appointment of Pulis and here I am, disliking Sheffield Wednesday a bit more.

VIEW FROM THE OTHER SIDE:

The Owls come into this game one of the favourites to be relegated this season. They are in absolute turmoil off the pitch, with wages being withheld (chairman imposed cap at £7k per week) and the threat of a transfer embargo or even another points deduction for financial failings. A Boxing Day 1-1 draw from a winning position against another former boss, Boro legend Tony Mowbray, leaves the Owls 23rd in the table with almost half the season complete.

You can access the best Sheffield Wednesday forum by clicking -> HERE. It's honesty the best forum I've seen that isn't OneBoro. The Owls fans seem quite disillusioned and reading through, it seems not to far away from where this forum has been in the last few years. Some of their preferred options to the appointment of Tony Pulis were Nigel Pearson, Jesus Christ, Tommy Cooper and plenty of references to building a club from the bottom up, growing a real identity and listing the clubs that seem to have done it successfully so why shouldn't we be able to, its all the chairman's fault! etc. etc...   

FOOT IN BOTH CAMPS:

Most recently: Adam Reach and Jordan Rhodes from the playing side and two afore mentioned managers whose tenures I'd rather forget...

In the olden days: Captain Marvellous Nigel Pearson, underrated midfield rock/guitar legend Robbie Mustoe and 70's goal scoring hero John Hickton (who was actually signed as a full back!)

TALKING POINTS:

Did you have a nice Christmas?

Who was worse for Boro, Pulis or Monk? 

Who would you like to see in the starting 11?

Which is the most majestic: The Lion or the Owl on the badge? 

How many will we win by?

• Like 7
  • Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Owls v The Boro 29th December 2020 Kick Off: 19:00 Location: Hillsborough "The game which sees us face one extremely unpopular former manger, when we thought we might've been facing

@wilsoncgp  I think he’s talking to you  

One of the things Pulis said in public in complaint was that they had 6 centre-halves and not a single left-back. I'm surprised it was a complaint, too.

Posted Images

I'd like to think we'll win this one, but Pulis has an uncanny record of winning against his previous clubs. Would absolutely love it if we turned them over though, just to get one over that monotonous dinosaur.

• Like 2

Did you have a nice Christmas?

Surprisingly decent considering all the restrictions, first time I didn't have dinner at my family's, but my partner's parents put out a good meal.

Monk and it's not even debeatable.

Who would you like to see in the starting 11?

Unchanged for me, the only questionable one is Wing but I don't think you can drop someone who scored twice in the previous match.

Heresy but I prefer the owl.

How many will we win by?

Hopefully lots but I don't like predicting Boro scores.

• Like 1

A quiet Xmas and slightly strange not to have much interest in the Boxing Day footy!!

I actually preferred Monk over Pullis but I’m sure I’m in the minority

the owl is suppose to be wise but employing Pullis contradicts that so I’ll stick with ours.

Im going to go 2-1 to the boro

hope everyone had as good a Xmas as possible, UTB

• Like 2

TALKING POINTS:

Well, I had a quiet, restful one anyway...which is almost as good.

For me it has to be Pulis, just for the sheer godawful boredom. At least with Monk we actually looked like promotion candidates...for half a season.

Provided everyone's fit and otherwise available, I'd like to see the same team that demolished Brum.

Boro's lion definitely. Wednesday's current badge always reminds me of an old village pub sign. They used to have a much cooler badge IMO. Left to right are the 95-99, 73-95, 99-2016 and current badges. I'd go with either of the first two...

image.png.509f4c365c21d8d32c80d8662a2ed3be.png

How many will we win by?

I'm hoping the lads will be full of beans and really up for this one. Reckon we'll win by 2.

• Like 1

Great thread Marvin. And long may it continue. 

Did you have a nice Christmas?

Had a great Christmas  kids were excited and very well behaved. We had a super if not slightly indulgent dinner and most importantly I even got some decent prezzies this year and not a sock to be seen 😃

That’s a really tough one, they’re both complete snakes and totally self serving. However nobody has ever made me fall out of love with football like Pulis did. There’s lots of people I don’t like but I actually hated him when he was here and hate is a strong emotion  

Same starting 11 against Brum will do for me

One one obvious answer

A8104BAE-7F4C-4AC4-9D34-67583E0C56F8.jpeg

How many will we win by?

Pulis will have 10 behind the ball. And we will have a lions share of possession but this game will be won by one goal imo

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Boro's lion definitely. Wednesday's current badge always reminds me of an old village pub sign. They used to have a much cooler badge IMO. Left to right are the 95-99, 73-95, 99-2016 and current badges. I'd go with either of the first two...

image.png.509f4c365c21d8d32c80d8662a2ed3be.png

I actually really like their new badge. Think our off-the-shelf lion badge is due a redesign. 

Not bad. Quiet, nice food and a couple of films. 

Monk undoubtedly, the money he wasted set us back for years. Pulis at least got us to the play offs (although he bottled them massively) and brought the best out of Traore, who was a pleasure to watch.

Haven't done a team prediction in a while:

Betanelli

Dijk - McNair - Fry - Bola

Morsy  --- Saville--- Johnson

Wing -- Britt -- Tavernier

See above.

How many will we win by?

1-0. Tight game, but Warnock will edge the tactical battle. Especially given our new free scoring attack... seems really wierd being able to score lots of goals recently. Even when we got promoted we couldn't score goals.

• Like 1

It was decent, all things considered. Me and the wife usually do Christmas separate, I go to my Mam's, she goes to hers. So the positives is we finally spent a Christmas together and we didn't have to put the cats into the cattery. The negatives is we never got to spend Christmas with our families due to COVID. It could have been worse though at the end of the day, we have each other. I know a few people who had to spend Christmas alone in London due to Tier 4 coming in.

They were both bad in their own ways but Pulis drove the heart and soul from the football club. Monk was void of emotion, he was kidding himself about the task he had, he wasted a lot of money... but when Pulis came in, even fans couldn't support each other any more. It went from reduced optimism with Monk to downright vitriol under Pulis. I think it says a lot that the best thing Pulis did still ultimately ended in a negative as perhaps the most exciting player we've seen in ages come of age and then got sold because we literally couldn't prevent them leaving.

Bettinelli
DIjksteel Fry McNair Bola
Tav Morsy Sav
Watmore Britt Johnson

Got to be the Lion innit.

How many will we win by?

I hope we thoroughly smash these. I feel bad for Wednesday fans having to endure this crap under Pulis as I would just about any team but we have to be positive and go for it, keep his team on the back foot. I'd love the likes of Sav, Tav and Britt to really show him up. Let's go 2-0 to the Boro though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, boro-unger said:

I actually really like their new badge. Think our off-the-shelf lion badge is due a redesign. 

Not bad. Quiet, nice food and a couple of films. 

Monk undoubtedly, the money he wasted set us back for years. Pulis at least got us to the play offs (although he bottled them massively) and brought the best out of Traore, who was a pleasure to watch.

Haven't done a team prediction in a while:

Betanelli

Dijk - McNair - Fry - Bola

Morsy  --- Saville--- Johnson

Wing -- Britt -- Tavernier

See above.

How many will we win by?

1-0. Tight game, but Warnock will edge the tactical battle. Especially given our new free scoring attack... seems really wierd being able to score lots of goals recently. Even when we got promoted we couldn't score goals.

I was going to write a long story but after reading this, i agree with every word. So no need. Thanks..

• Like 1

If we manage to score we will win otherwise will be a 0-0 dullfest. But just hope we beat Tony as he did set this club back a few season's. As with the resources and squad he had we should of been promoted. Then for him to then have the audacity to sell our best striker to Leeds United when struggled for goals was so badly judged.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, marvin said:

How many will we win by?

1. Pretty good, yes. Went to the in-laws who disregarded Nicola Sturgeon's last-minute changes to the festive mixing laws, and had a great day as a result.

2. Pulis. Monk at least tried to play attacking football (albeit very badly), and he wasn't given long enough to definitively prove himself the catastrophic failure Pulis became in his two years in charge. Also, I think many of Monk's signings could have done well under a different manager to Pulis. The signings themselves weren't anywhere as near as catastrophic as Pulis's signings turned out to be.

3. As long as Watmore starts, I am easy oasy. Like to see Wing given a start, but I'm unusually relaxed about our starting XI against a team we should comfortably outplay - if not outscore.

4. The minimalist outline-owl badge was amazing, but the current SW badge is pretty naff, tbh.

5. Given Pulis's legendary predilection for playing a ten man defence, I think one goal will win this. 

• Like 1