• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

what we really need is a lucky leprechaun with a rabbits foot, itchy ears, a house full of butterflies and covered in bird crap,    but then again we already have Uwe  

I think it's time to admit that the team have misheard this and believe in the Magic Lump.. would explain a lot about our tactics at moment 

*****TOP TIP****** We all know that you only get 3 wishes and there is a universal caveat in the genie 🧞‍♂️ world of not being allowed to wish for infinite wishes.    Make one of your wishes

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed a lot of online users have signed on this week, so for you this is the history of Magic Lamp.

Little of the history of Magic Lamp has ever been published, but after helping Huddersfield to their only FA Cup win in 1922 Magic lamp disappeared for nearly forty years resurfacing in the mid sixties, found in an attic of a pawn dealer in Dagenham by a schoolboy friend of Alf Ramsey. After a bit of research he found that this indeed was the Lamp that helped Huddersfield  win the FA Cup and as a bit of joke passed the lamp onto Alf for good luck with The World Cup about to start.

Of course England went on to win, however, what wasn't known was that there was a dressing room ritual with the Magic Lamp never before published that will astound the public. In some recently discovered papers, an unpublished interview with Alf Ramsey penned by Cassandra of the Daily Mirror, which were overlooked upon his premature death in 1967, that only now can the contents be revealed.

Cassandra writes, Jimmy Greaves tipped me off about this strange ritual, intrigued I sought out Alf and he granted me an interview at his modest Ipswich bungalow and said it all started off as a bit of a joke, but it was really to take the pressure off the team and footballers being a superstitious mix embraced it. By the time we got to the Argentina match the players were starting to believe in it. Greaves was injured and refused to rub Magic lamp, I had a decision to make and brought in Hurst to the fold. Magic Lamp came to the fore that day causing Rattin to speak incomprehensible nonsense to the referee and got himself sent off, them Geoff scored a marvellous goal.

By the time the final came Greavsie was fit, the press were clamouring for his return and I had a decision to make. I said to Jimmy are you a believer and he replied no and then picked up the lamp and hurled it at the dressing room wall, shouting I'm the star of this fecking team not some Magic Lamp. By good fortune Gordon (Banks) was stood at the wall talking to George Cohen and he instinctively caught Magic Lamp saving irreparable damage

So my mind was made up, an unchanged team and the rest is history. As the full time time whistle blew Magic Lamp said to me, you've already won it once, tell them to go out and win it again.

There was great celebrating in the dressing room afterwards and the players said the only thing better than drinking champagne out of The World Cup, was sipping it from the delicate lips of Magic Lamp.

Alf said he wanted to take Magic Lamp to Mexico. Magic Lamp declined the offer saying he needed at least another forty year rest before exerting himself again.

Cassandra. Thank you Alf. The nation indeed owes a debt of gratitude to Magic Lamp...

The true story of Magic Lamp.

Herbert Chapman, Huddersfield's most successful manager who was later lured to Arsenal and defined Arsenal as the most successful team of the 1930's. And probably one of the greatest managers of all time.

In 1922 Chapman took the team to the final night of the Aladdin Pantomime at the local theatre. After the performance the players were invited backstage to meet the cast. As a memento the players were given the Magic Lamp prop used throughout the production for luck. With the FA Cup looming all the players took to rubbing the Lamp in the dressing room  before each Cup match. Football history was made as Huddersfield recorded their one and only FA Cup win in 1922.

Herbert Chapman won two First Division Titles at Huddersfield, before even greater success came at Arsenal. Mr Football himself.

764909972_MagicLamp.jpg.3334705dc873a4beb927f0f8a0001bce.jpg