oneBoro Forum

Brentford V Boro - FA Cup 3rd Round 2-1 (Folarin)

Honestly at this point I think football should get a 2 week break and come back with the twice weekly testing mandatory and paid for by the league/PFA. It's madness to allow it to just spread like it is at the moment 

• Like 1
  • Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought their first team were the bees? Very confusing!

On the u23s: Daniel Dodds (RB) was injured I believe in November/ December. Unsure if he's back fit but would be well in with a chance if he is. The Wingers Folarin & Jones will surely b

I was very impressed with Hackney today. 

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Brentford's manager has tested positive. 

Manager of the month award strikes again 😳

17 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Honestly at this point I think football should get a 2 week break and come back with the twice weekly testing mandatory and paid for by the league/PFA. It's madness to allow it to just spread like it is at the moment 

The situation won’t change in 2 weeks, you’ll be looking at several months break again if that’s the route they take 

18 minutes ago, BoroBoy1989 said:

The situation won’t change in 2 weeks, you’ll be looking at several months break again if that’s the route they take 

It's to break the cycle though. At the moment it's spreading like wildfire. If every player isolates for 10 days then get tested before returning to any training you at least slow down the spread significantly.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

It's to break the cycle though. At the moment it's spreading like wildfire. If every player isolates for 10 days then get tested before returning to any training you at least slow down the spread significantly.

I suppose you’re right there, I’m loathe to say do it but if it’s for the greater good, I’d say do it. Anything to avoid the season being suspended indefinitely again, which would be a disaster 

30 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

You'd also have to rely on the player, staff etc and their families to not be in touch with anyone outside the house and have everything delivered to their doorstep. As soon as someone goes to buy groceries etc that isolation is broken.

8 minutes ago, Borodane said:

You'd also have to rely on the player, staff etc and their families to not be in touch with anyone outside the house and have everything delivered to their doorstep. As soon as someone goes to buy groceries etc that isolation is broken.

Hence the testing prior to a return to training and again twice weekly from then on. There'll always be a case or two that will pop up but it will be more like how it was when football first returned where it's the exception rather than the rule it is fast becoming. 

• Like 1

How's that any different to what they're doing now though?

Except for the fact that no football will be played and a congested fixture list will only get more congested.

They've resumed regular testing, anyone who has tested positive will be isolating, anyone who hasn't won't.

3.2% of the people tested have returned a positive result, and a significant number of that is non-playing staff.

The real criticism is that the EFL ever stopped testing in the first place.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

How's that any different to what they're doing now though?

Except for the fact that no football will be played and a congested fixture list will only get more congested.

They've resumed regular testing, anyone who has tested positive will be isolating, anyone who hasn't won't.

3.2% of the people tested have returned a positive result, and a significant number of that is non-playing staff.

The real criticism is that the EFL ever stopped testing in the first place.

Well yes that does hit the nail in the head. But they did. And as a result, the virus is now out of control. Testing won't stop it spreading now. The only thing that will is putting a stop to activity so the spread can be stemmed.

Honestly people are treating these footballers and staff as expendable commodities. We don't full understand the long term effects of catching the virus, there's already a couple of examples in the premier League of players not recovering properly. Saint maximum has been out for 6 weeks with it. People are dying. Who's to say that these footballers going aren't then bringing it home to more vulnerable people? There have been cases where fit and healthy people have succumbed to it. Not many, but some. And it's fine because it avoids fixture congestion? What will take for people so see this? a player dying?

• Like 1

I don't really think it's fine, I'd fully understand if they cancelled the season. Morally it's probably the right thing to do, as it might hammer home that people should be staying indoors in their own households.

But pausing it won't stop the spread of cases, unless the players are kept under strict lockdown, the outbreaks in the women's league was caused by players going on holiday and then returning to training.

Many will have contracted the virus from family members and the public.

That will still happen if the season is paused for 2 weeks.

If they're not going to cancel the season, I do genuinely think Dyche has a point with his argument that footballers should be vaccinated and some of the money can be redirected in to supporting the greater pandemic effort.

To be honest I am of the opinion that this game does not matter one jot due to everything that surrounds football and players.

Simply going through the motions and with their Manager testing positive how many more from Brentford will be also?

This will of course possibly impact Boro players and staff allowing the chance of further spreading.

The FA should in their wisdom simply call off all games and restructure the cup as and when it is safe to do so

17 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Dyche has a very good point how come all the football player's aren't just vaccinated then prevents this ongoing testing that must cost a fortune and is a logistical nightmare. 

Vaccine supplies are currently limited.  If they vaccinated footballers then they would need to do the same for all other sports/elite athletes.  Imagine the public outcry about those involved in elite sport (who tend to be pretty fit and at lower risk of needing ITU treatment for coronavirus) receiving the vaccine before those who are medically most vulnerable.  A lot of people losing elderly relatives would then blame the deaths on footballers having been given priority over the elderly and vulnerable.  The way in which our society tends to view death is to attribute blame for the death not being prevented, rather than viewing death as something which is a natural process and cannot fully be prevented. 

2 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

The club have confirmed that oversees viewers can't watch the match on the FA Player.

Would imagine a VPN would get round this.  Should anyone feel the need.