oneBoro Forum

Boro players then and now comparison

Was thinking earlier on about ex Boro players who would fit straight away into the current set up from the Robson era before the days of Junihio and the like and whether or not with the current squad are there any players you would be able to compare them with?

Kick this off and ask would Robbie Mustoe and John Hendrie  improve the current set up and are there any current Boro players who remind you of them? And how good were those two?

Think Howson and maybe to a degree Tavernier remind me of Mustoe, John Hendrie is an enigma in my mind because there simply is no-one who reminds me of him currently but for sure I really think his style and commitment would be a massive boost to the current squad.

Your thoughts on this and any players come to mind for comparison purposes?

1 minute ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I much prefer Howson to Mustoe, but we could maybe do with a Stamp or a Cattermole in the middle of the pitch. 

I’d take Hamilton Ricard over any of our current strikers though. 

Would you have Hendrie?

Nigel Pearson is the obvious name that springs to mind, though as I only started supporting Boro in 1997, my pre-TLF-era knowledge is pretty limited. Didn't Jan Åge Fjørtoft have a decent goals-and-assists ratio?

I remember Mustoe more of a destroyer perhaps more like Morsey although my brain says Mustoe>Morsey but that could be just nostalgia. 

Two other players from that era I would have would be Pearson and Higgy. 

Would Barmby be allowed and what about Robbo himself? 

@Uwe is going to be very upset no-one's mentioned Herr Fuchs. 9 goals in 13 appearances.

I often wonder what he could have done if we'd signed him permanently.

Well, okay...not often...

I also dimly recall guys like Jaime Moreno, Alan Moore, Graham Kavanagh & Jamie Pollock. Think they'd fit in and maybe even improve our current set-up.

Guys like Curtis Fleming and Neil Cox in defence.

Edited by AnglianRed

Higgy for sure, had that touch of class. 

I have fond memories of Gianluca Festa as a young football fan but I think he signed in 1997 which means he was here with Rav and co.

What about Nick Barmby?

John Hendrie walks into this side or any other of our championship sides in my opinion quality player, as does Higgy, or Nige Pearson and you've got to have Merson in, cut above the championship, and Alun Armstrong would have been a better choice than Akpom. 

On 1/23/2021 at 1:44 PM, Erimus 63 said:

* John  Hickton *

Um...wasn't he a bit before the Robson era? 😉

"Was thinking earlier on about ex Boro players who would fit straight away into the current set up from the Robson era before the days of Junihio and the like and whether or not with the current squad are there any players you would be able to compare them with?"

Or were you comparing John Hickton to Mikkel Beck? 😁

Though if we are going that far back, I'd happily have Brian Clough back.

Absolutely John Hendrie walks into the team. He played on the wing for his first few years with us then upfront and was brilliant in both positions. Having him as one of the wider players in the front 3 would be brilliant.