Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

Boro players then and now comparison


Recommended Posts

On 1/21/2021 at 3:24 PM, Downsouth said:

Was thinking earlier on about ex Boro players who would fit straight away into the current set up from the Robson era before the days of Junihio and the like and whether or not with the current squad are there any players you would be able to compare them with?

Kick this off and ask would Robbie Mustoe and John Hendrie  improve the current set up and are there any current Boro players who remind you of them? And how good were those two?

Think Howson and maybe to a degree Tavernier remind me of Mustoe, John Hendrie is an enigma in my mind because there simply is no-one who reminds me of him currently but for sure I really think his style and commitment would be a massive boost to the current squad.

Your thoughts on this and any players come to mind for comparison purposes?

Robbie Mustoe was more like Morsy than Howson. I'd take Mustoe over Morsy but that's only because we've not really seen enough of Morsy yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

hold the bus, i actually agree with Humpty about Morsy. even though hes been a tad diplomatic , I   had a general idea from the few games id seen him play for Wigan that he was a Clayton type midfielder but he also could take control of the midfield, but so far here ,hes faded into oblivion and just seems to be ONE MORE of the"nothing" players  we currenly seem to be assembelling within the squad.  players that dont inspire, dont have an identity and that you cant label as anything otherthan making up the numbers . unfortunately we are overflowing in central midfield with this species then further upfield we have Britt or Akpom , again a choice of nothingness in many traits required  from a striker.  Again ,as with Morsy ,we are maybe entitled to have epected much more taking into account what they have done in previous employment. SO the defence and perhaps the two biggest examples of NOTHING players we have ,  Spence and Coulson. what exactly are these two , full backs, wingbacks wide midfielders, WHAT?, BECAUSE I HAVENT SUSSED IT OUT YET.

ITS NOT ALL BAD THOUGH, for all that negativety i must even things out and give praise where its due , JOHNSON has looked far more composed and reliable this season, DIJKSTEEL AND BOLA have imroved vastly and been suprisingly able in central defence when used in a back 3, Tavernier and McNair are for me fighting it out for player of the season. 

the one thin ill say about Betinelli is that for all im happy weve upgraded from the youngsters ,Mejijas and the slovakian guy but he or none of those can ever hope to be mentioned in the same breath as Randolph. god we miss him. betinelli seems to have perfected the art of never getting near to the ball as it crosses the goal line to the extent that if a shots on target its a goal and once again he seemed so much better at fulham. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'd have to say Mark Schwarzer. He made a massive difference when he arrived and gave the defence a lot more confidence than Gary Walsh did if i remember rightly. At the age he came in and the length of time he stayed - that scenario now would be massive for this squad. Especially replacing Bettinelli. I kind of feel like losing Randoph was almost as massive as losing Schwarzer. However, where as Schwarzer was always one of the best keepers in the Premier League when we were there, Randolph clearly isn't...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mustoe and Hendrie walk into this team. 

Mustoe ended up being a very solid Premier league player, none of this lot have hit those heights. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Duvel said:

Mustoe and Hendrie walk into this team. 

Mustoe ended up being a very solid Premier league player, none of this lot have hit those heights. 

hendrie wouldnt be in this league if he was playing now mate. he was before his time that lad, not really an out and out winger not really a striker. perfoct for the more modern systems playing wide off a striker. hes be even better now.  mustoe would be one of those players to stand out in this league but be pretty standard prem squad player type. both walk into our current first 11. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2021 at 9:22 AM, marvin said:

I think I'd have to say Mark Schwarzer. He made a massive difference when he arrived and gave the defence a lot more confidence than Gary Walsh did if i remember rightly. At the age he came in and the length of time he stayed - that scenario now would be massive for this squad. Especially replacing Bettinelli. I kind of feel like losing Randoph was almost as massive as losing Schwarzer. However, where as Schwarzer was always one of the best keepers in the Premier League when we were there, Randolph clearly isn't...

Schwarzer doesn't qualify. Signed after Ravanelli et al

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2021 at 12:25 PM, Humpty said:

Robbie Mustoe was more like Morsy than Howson. I'd take Mustoe over Morsy but that's only because we've not really seen enough of Morsy yet.

I'd take Mustoe over Howson, let alone Morsy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2021 at 1:45 PM, Dynamo Kev said:

hendrie wouldnt be in this league if he was playing now mate. he was before his time that lad, not really an out and out winger not really a striker. perfoct for the more modern systems playing wide off a striker. hes be even better now.  mustoe would be one of those players to stand out in this league but be pretty standard prem squad player type. both walk into our current first 11. 

Hendrie would be premier league, for sure. Unbelievable player and one or my all time favourites. Had it all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Schwarzer and Pears both better than what we have now, or what we have had since Schwarzer to be fair. Both excellent keepers.

Pearson at centre half walks in to the side, close argument for Fleming as well. I always liked Dean Gordon as well - knew a girl he once dated back in the day.

Hignett also deserves a mention. Fantastic player who we never really replaced. The closest replacement to him was Zenden. Always remember Hignett hitting the crossbar from a free kick on his debut ( I think !!). Great player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bosco's Tuft said:

Schwarzer doesn't qualify. Signed after Ravanelli et al

That’s what happens when I don’t read the OP properly 🤦‍♂️... sorry about that...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...