oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Rotherham 0-3

10 hours ago, Blanco said:

Such a disappointment again tonight. We seem to be paying the price for a small squad. A couple out and we just don’t have the back up 

Or maybe just NW formation and tactics. 

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

EFL Championship – Middlesbrough vs Rotherham, Wednesday 27th January at 7pm GMT Scene: Ext (Daytime). [An English country garden. Neil Warnock is deadheading laurels with shears when the si

We got beat tonight by a team that played better than we did. They had a centre forward that was prepared to come back into his own half to get the ball, then hold onto it and pass it at the right tim

Wow just wow! Birmingham, Blackburn and Rotherham at home and we play 3 defensive CM's at home. Absolutely negative tactics and substitutions costing us. How the hell did Howson, Saville and

Posted Images

1 minute ago, sanddancer said:

Or maybe just NW formation and tactics. 

I don't agree with this. We have produced some really good and really flat performances but with the group we have there is no doubt NW is getting the best out the squad. Last night I really felt the absence of Dijksteel and Fry and defence and the craft of Tav in attacking postions. Our lack of height and physicality just did not match up to that of Rotherham, but there wasn't a huge amount of options to change that. I didn't agree with all of NW's decisions last night, not least a straight swap with the strikers instead of adding the second striker but I think given how the season has gone and progressed from last and the resources he has it's unfair to blame his formation and tactics. If you blamed the clubs lack of transfers on the other hand...

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Whoppy said:

I don't agree with this. We have produced some really good and really flat performances but with the group we have there is no doubt NW is getting the best out the squad. Last night I really felt the absence of Dijksteel and Fry and defence and the craft of Tav in attacking postions. Our lack of height and physicality just did not match up to that of Rotherham, but there wasn't a huge amount of options to change that. I didn't agree with all of NW's decisions last night, not least a straight swap with the strikers instead of adding the second striker but I think given how the season has gone and progressed from last and the resources he has it's unfair to blame his formation and tactics. If you blamed the clubs lack of transfers on the other hand...

There were other options than playing 3  midfielders without an ounce of creativity between them at home to a team in the relegation zone. There were also other options than hoofing the ball up the pitch all game to our 3 5ft8 forwards. You already mentioned the awful subs so I won't go into that.

It was a disastrous performance from Warnock from start to finish last night.

30 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

There were other options than playing 3  midfielders without an ounce of creativity between them at home to a team in the relegation zone. There were also other options than hoofing the ball up the pitch all game to our 3 5ft8 forwards. You already mentioned the awful subs so I won't go into that.

It was a disastrous performance from Warnock from start to finish last night.

I do wish we had a central midfielder who was better at creating to fit in alongside the other 2 but after the last couple of years, signing anybody in that area of the pitch seems like a mad thing to do.

Maybe Morsy was simply the wrong choice of signing to make given he wants to play both him and Howson in the same team. Saville at least gets in and around the box and scores the odd goal but he's not ultimately that creative. He does get in the faces of players a fair bit too, winds them up a bit at times. Howson is perhaps the most creative of the 3 and he sits in the middle to cover defensively which, by and large, he does well. Morsy puts a lot of running in but to what end? He's had a few chances to bag a goal now and still not found the net but even if he had, again, he's not that creative.

So the question is, what did we sign Morsy for other than running about and getting needless bookings? He's the one player in that midfield 3 that I'm just not sure we need and could be swapped out for someone who can actually pick a pass in the middle and final thirds of the pitch.

wasnt all warnocks fault really though. spence was invisible at the back all game. the keeper is utter turd. *** out of grabbing the ball and went with legs giving a penna, got megged and let in what was imo a soft shot for the first. wasnt even in the corner, he just has *** reactions and never got across at all. if randy was in goal we'd have got a clean sheet 100%. even with the lack of protection at the back. we really cant afford to let people shoot at him he just cant get down low. he goes down in stages, hes garbage, pears would have saved all of them to.

26 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

wasnt all warnocks fault really though. spence was invisible at the back all game. the keeper is utter turd. *** out of grabbing the ball and went with legs giving a penna, got megged and let in what was imo a soft shot for the first. wasnt even in the corner, he just has *** reactions and never got across at all. if randy was in goal we'd have got a clean sheet 100%. even with the lack of protection at the back. we really cant afford to let people shoot at him he just cant get down low. he goes down in stages, hes garbage, pears would have saved all of them to.

Bear in mind, this is the keeper Warnock wanted to replace Pears and Stojanovic and as far as I can tell, there's never been any kind of selection dilemma for Warnock in picking him and as a club, we didn't care about losing Pears to bring him in.

I said it from the moment it sounded like Pears went, I'd rather have stuck it out with him and see how far he could go than most of the alternatives. And well...

34 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I do wish we had a central midfielder who was better at creating to fit in alongside the other 2 but after the last couple of years, signing anybody in that area of the pitch seems like a mad thing to do.

Maybe Morsy was simply the wrong choice of signing to make given he wants to play both him and Howson in the same team. Saville at least gets in and around the box and scores the odd goal but he's not ultimately that creative. He does get in the faces of players a fair bit too, winds them up a bit at times. Howson is perhaps the most creative of the 3 and he sits in the middle to cover defensively which, by and large, he does well. Morsy puts a lot of running in but to what end? He's had a few chances to bag a goal now and still not found the net but even if he had, again, he's not that creative.

So the question is, what did we sign Morsy for other than running about and getting needless bookings? He's the one player in that midfield 3 that I'm just not sure we need and could be swapped out for someone who can actually pick a pass in the middle and final thirds of the pitch.

For me Morsy is a good signing to beef up the squad but its either Morsy or Howson for me, not Both. What we need is a Morsy type replacement for Fry and for Dijksteel and unfortunately the cupboard is bare. After the last few games it appears that we also need a similar type replacement for Bettinelli who has become a lot worse since Stoj went out on loan. If we can I would recall Stoj and send Bettinelli back. His command of English may not be great but his reflexes are more important and at least he has some.

Pears hasn't exactly impressed at Blackburn. I don't think he is good enough at this level and I have no problem in letting him go but he is certainly no worse than Bettinelli who is close to Guzan levels of confidence and not far off Dibble. Any chance we can get him a retrospective six game ban for going in with his feet on that penalty last night 🙂

I suspect had there been a crowd in the Riverside last night there may well have been a similar response to the Guzan incident when the Boro fans were chanting "off, off, off".

• Like 1

I'd say Bettinelli is the only Warnock signing that I've not liked.

On paper, it seems like a good one, promoted multiple times with Fulham, played in the Premier League and called up for England in the past.

But that ignores that he was repeatedly dropped by Fulham for making mistakes and leaking goals.

I'd not trust Pears either, but there have been so many errors from Bettinelli and his kicking has been rubbish.

1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Pears hasn't exactly impressed at Blackburn. I don't think he is good enough at this level and I have no problem in letting him go but he is certainly no worse than Bettinelli who is close to Guzan levels of confidence and not far off Dibble. Any chance we can get him a retrospective six game ban for going in with his feet on that penalty last night 🙂

I suspect had there been a crowd in the Riverside last night there may well have been a similar response to the Guzan incident when the Boro fans were chanting "off, off, off".

Guzan's last game was at Liverpool and we were chanting 'USA! USA! USA!' every time he touched (mishandled) the ball

He was not happy....

Dimi should have played that day to give him a game in the PL but maybe it would have cost us?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

On paper, it seems like a good one, promoted multiple times with Fulham, played in the Premier League and called up for England in the past.

But that ignores that he was repeatedly dropped by Fulham for making mistakes and leaking goals.

I'd not trust Pears either, but there have been so many errors from Bettinelli and his kicking has been rubbish.

The difference is Pears is a player to work with and improve and he was our asset to improve, to work on to get better value out of than whatever we took from Blackburn when they bought him.

He'd had what, half a season of game time when we sold him? Bettinelli has bags more experience than that and still we see pretty much the same rubbish between the sticks every week. Pears was a promising young lad and in the end, we showed very little faith in his ability to come good.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TeaCider24 said:

I still maintain that it was a poor transfer window. 

Hall hasn't made an impression so far for obvious reasons. 

Morsy doesn't do anything that our other midfielders already do

Bettinelli has been woeful

Akpom doesn't look up to this level.

Roberts has barely played. 

If it wasn't for watmore it makes for very poor reading half way through the season. 

I don't think there's anyone you can absolve of blame for that *** show. The team lacked cohesiveness, direction and a plan. This blame lies with Warnock. As far as on the pitch performances go, no player did themselves any justice. Some were worse than others. We were a shambles from front to back. Never thought i'd see a Warnock team put in a performance like that.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I don't think there's anyone you can absolve of blame for that *** show. The team lacked cohesiveness, direction and a plan. This blame lies with Warnock. As far as on the pitch performances go, no player did themselves any justice. Some were worse than others. We were a shambles from front to back. Never thought i'd see a Warnock team put in a performance like that.

Birmingham was every bit as bad.

• Like 1