oneBoro Forum

Boro V Brentford 1-4 (Raya OG)

I think we have to put things in preceptive last season we were looking like league 1 team doomed to go down, we are now looking like an average championship team that its possible might sneak a playoff spot if we can put a run together. We have come along way we owe that to Warnock for changing the mentality and the players/coaching team hes brought in but I dont think we are ready this season for promotion maybe next season. This very much feels like Mowbray last full season to me we had a good solid squad but not good enough to challenge the very top of the league. Maybe next season we can do it if we continue improvement. 

Today we played well in periods and had we taken our chances could have probably ended draw or maybe even we could have won as their confidence could have dented had we scored from our chances. In my opinion we played the best footballing team in the league today and they were clinical when they had their chances id like too see them go up as the best footballing teams dont always make it up. I think Betenelli needs to be dropped hes made too many mistakes recently which has cost us, id say take the pressure off for a month or so get him in training iron out mistakes then maybe consider giving him another shot. 

One thing about Saville today I dont want to be harsh on him he missed chance but he consistently got in the right position just finishing wasn't great but hes not a striker. Id love too see what Watmore could do in a cam role behind the striker, I feel he could burry them chances if got in the position Saville found himself today. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brentford fan here. What an odd game. Felt the Boro had bigger chances to be honest. Main reason I wanted to come on here was to say that during the 20 game unbeaten run, the Boro games were 2 wh

Boro V Bees Sat 6th Feb 15:00 Riverside Stadium Introduction Well after a age of transfer markets not to mention Deadline Days that have left me as disappointed as a 16yr old boy t

Drury's mic today     

Posted Images

Brentford fan here. What an odd game. Felt the Boro had bigger chances to be honest.

Main reason I wanted to come on here was to say that during the 20 game unbeaten run, the Boro games were 2 which standout as games that could’ve gone the other way  . It feels weird saying that after a 1-4, but at 1-1 there were clear moments which could have twisted the game.

Seems Warnock is building something to me with a good window which will need time to bed in. Personally,  I can see Boro/Blackburn challenging Reading for playoff spot. 

Might not be the last we see of each other.  Could easily be a 3rd vs 6th playoff! I’m hopeful of top 2 and think we have the quality, but with injuries and bad luck you just never know. 

Anyway, good luck for the season and here’s hoping we can go see our respective teams in action in person soon 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Whilst every fan is going to be understandably disappointed with losing 4-1 to Brentford, I think we need to take a step back and recognise the progress that we have already made this season under Warnock, and also the potential in our squad for both the remainder of this season and also next season. Last season under Woodgate we were heading for relegation to League One; we're nowhere near that perilous postion now. I'm confident that Warnock will get us promoted given then time and resources; we simply couldn't have a manager with a better track record for managing a club like us in the Championship. Before today's game our only realistic hope was to get into the play offs - that hope remains unchanged despite today's defeat. To have any chance of this we need to get our new wing signings of Bolasie, Kebano and Mendez-Laing up to match sharpness and fitted into the system. That's why the game time today for Bolasie and Kebano is a big positive. Even in the flashes of today it was clear to see that they have more to offer going forwards than the likes of Johnson and Spence who we have often had to start on the wings. We've also got Hall and Fletcher returning back to fitness so that will help our chances of getting into the play off spots. When we get Bolasie, Kebano, Mendez-Laing and Watmore all firing on the wings then our form will surely take an upturn. Same with getting Fletcher back in strike. He's the closest thing we've got to a genuine targetman so his return will be a huge boost to us.

Moving on to next season. We've now got a solid core to the team to build from with Dijksteel, Fry, McNair, Bola, Saville, Howson, Tavernier & Watmore. A lot of them players have really progressed this season and I'm sure that will help them to become a more consistent team next season. The lack of consistency has been our achilles heel this season. Also, the likes of Bolasie and Mendez-Laing could excel before the end of the season, in the way Watmore impressed in his initial short term deal, and make themselves players that we're desperate to offer a longer term deal for next season. It's also notable that, our wage bill will have had the last remaining bloated contracts from the Monk "going at it like a horny dog" era expiring so that will help us recalibrate financially, which will help Warnock to sign players that are more his types of players. For all that he defends Assombalonga, he just isn't his sort of striker - he simply isn't a big physical target man like Kieffer Moore. It's probably the samesituation with Fry at CB to be honest. I'm sure Warnock would snap a big team's hand off if he got a big enough fee for Fry that would allow him to build up a war chest to sign a big, nasty CB like Sean Morrison who will get him 8 goals a season from set pieces and also strengthen some other key positions. 

Regarding the game, I think we could have won if we converted our glorious chances at key times in the game. If Saville and Assombalonga score their chances then it's a completely differetnt game. After then Brentford turned the screw and we couldn't contain them. Fry was a huge miss as for all of Dijksteel's ability at RB or even playing right sided CB in a back 5, he cannot play CB in a back four anywhere near as well. Due to our missed chances and Brentford getting their goals at key times, we had to come forward, take risks and we were badly exposed. There's something about Morsy that I'm starting to really dislike. I think it's because he's a similar sort of CM to Mo Besic - just a significant downgrade as he's technically pretty poor. Even if we miss our on promotion this season, assuming Warnock stays for next season and we continue in the right direction, then I'll go into the next season full of hope and confidence.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Ben J said:

I remember Maddo making a point about how people admire how successful Brentford’s transfer model is, it depends what successful means to different people, we’ve been in the Prem longer than them in the last 6 years 🤷‍♂️

Come on it’s obvious surely? They consistently replace their best players with cheaper imports and the same with their managers. Yes we’ve had one season in the prem and gone backwards while spending an absolute fortune. Meanwhile they have slowly caught and passed us while probably staying in the black.

• Like 3

image.png.40af0c414ccd49defa2b2901a91001b2.png

I'm still trying to work out what Bettinelli is trying to do here. Spent a good 5 minutes staring at it.

I'm pretty sure we'd have at least 9 more points if we didn't have this disasterclass in goal. Every shot on target looks like going in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
9 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

Come on it’s obvious surely? They consistently replace their best players with cheaper imports and the same with their managers. Yes we’ve had one season in the prem and gone backwards while spending an absolute fortune. Meanwhile they have slowly caught and passed us while probably staying in the black.

Only caveat to Brentford's success is they have been very reliant on their owner investing into the club over the years. Think for the accounts upto 2018 he had committed £110m+. But to be fair the 2019 accounts that figure had dropped to around £100m (so a £10m reduction).

But putting that investment in context, their income since they got promoted it's been consistently in the bottom 5 lowest in the league, plus the club has paid for a brand new stadium (£40m approx). So although he's invested £110m+ around 30% of that investment has been in investing in the infrastructure of the club. 

I agree that he's been well below par and find myself questioning whether he could have done better almost every game, but that's a pretty common goalkeeping technique for stopping close range shots. Peter Schmeichel was renowned for doing it. 
spacer.png

14 hours ago, SmogDane said:

Some of you really see Brentford as another team and it's shambolic we didn't beat them and played better than them? 

Hardest game all season..

Our time will come from now on

I agree Brentford are the best ream we've faced so far this season.

I also agree they were much better than us in every respect.

I think many of us would have predicted a defeat...or a scrappy draw at best.

However what makes this (and a few other bad results) so hard to stomach are the amateurish defending, frequently calamitous keeping and our complete inability to take chances when we get them.

Oh and the usual poor timing and choice of substitutions which did nothing to affect the game.

As I mentioned in another post, there seems to be a pattern developing in which we play a lot of long-ball and run ourselves into the ground defending in the first half.

Which we can manage for 45 minutes or so. But it seems to take its toll in the 2nd half and we get ruthlessly exposed by better teams like Brentford.

Warnock doesn't seem to have any alternative to this and more annoyingly rarely seems to make more attack-minded subs when we are chasing games.

So no I'm not that surprised we lost. I'm more upset with the manner in which we lost.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, p_mards said:

Moving on to next season. We've now got a solid core to the team to build from with Dijksteel, Fry, McNair, Bola, Saville, Howson, Tavernier & Watmore. A lot of them players have really progressed this season and I'm sure that will help them to become a more consistent team next season. The lack of consistency has been our achilles heel this season. Also, the likes of Bolasie and Mendez-Laing could excel before the end of the season, in the way Watmore impressed in his initial short term deal, and make themselves players that we're desperate to offer a longer term deal for next season. It's also notable that, our wage bill will have had the last remaining bloated contracts from the Monk "going at it like a horny dog" era expiring so that will help us recalibrate financially, which will help Warnock to sign players that are more his types of players. For all that he defends Assombalonga, he just isn't his sort of striker - he simply isn't a big physical target man like Kieffer Moore. It's probably the samesituation with Fry at CB to be honest. I'm sure Warnock would snap a big team's hand off if he got a big enough fee for Fry that would allow him to build up a war chest to sign a big, nasty CB like Sean Morrison who will get him 8 goals a season from set pieces and also strengthen some other key positions.

Agree with everything you say, except for Fry. Its been noticeable when Fry is missing this season, we struggle. He's shown this season why Premier League clubs were sniffing around him before the disastrous move to left centre back last season. I reckon Warnock would love to keep him next season AND add a  "big brute" centre half along side him. Of course money might talk and the need for reinforcements elsewhere, or to pay wages if some of our loanees  become permanent signings, might force a sale. Equally Fry wasn't to keen to move before was he? In the end, its largely up to him.

19 hours ago, J.T. said:

What makes them the best team in the league by a country mile?

They're the best attacking team in the league and it's not even close. They also have the 5th best defence (probably because they spend so much time with the ball it's difficult to score vs them).

They play the best football, are consistent and haven't lost in 20 bloody games. I think it's hard to argue they're the best team in the league right now.

18 minutes ago, ScarBoro said:

Agree with everything you say, except for Fry. Its been noticeable when Fry is missing this season, we struggle. He's shown this season why Premier League clubs were sniffing around him before the disastrous move to left centre back last season. I reckon Warnock would love to keep him next season AND add a  "big brute" centre half along side him. Of course money might talk and the need for reinforcements elsewhere, or to pay wages if some of our loanees  become permanent signings, might force a sale. Equally Fry wasn't to keen to move before was he? In the end, its largely up to him.

Saw on Twitter today, we’ve only won one game and had one clean sheet without Fry in the side. He’ll play a massive part in the run in and it’d be huge if we can keep him throughout next season.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ben J said:

Saw on Twitter today, we’ve only won one game and had one clean sheet without Fry in the side. He’ll play a massive part in the run in and it’d be huge if we can keep him throughout next season.

I agree that Fry is vital this season, but he's only missed 4 games in total so it's a bit of a small pool to draw conclusions from.

He's missed Watford, Nottingham Forest, Rotherham and Brentford.

We were fine defensively against Watford, beat Forest, it's only the last two where we've been exposed.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I agree that Fry is vital this season, but he's only missed 4 games in total so it's a bit of a small pool to draw conclusions from.

He's missed Watford, Nottingham Forest, Rotherham and Brentford.

We were fine defensively against Watford, beat Forest, it's only the last two where we've been exposed.

Fair enough, it’s an issue that Halls only had a few appearances this season and we don’t particularly know how useful he’ll actually be. 

2 hours ago, Smokedsalmon said:

image.png.40af0c414ccd49defa2b2901a91001b2.png

I'm still trying to work out what Bettinelli is trying to do here. Spent a good 5 minutes staring at it.

He looks like he's been hit by a cartoon train and is now stuck to the front as the train continues down the track...

• Haha 3