• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brentford fan here. What an odd game. Felt the Boro had bigger chances to be honest. Main reason I wanted to come on here was to say that during the 20 game unbeaten run, the Boro games were 2 wh

Boro V Bees Sat 6th Feb 15:00 Riverside Stadium Introduction Well after a age of transfer markets not to mention Deadline Days that have left me as disappointed as a 16yr old boy t

Drury's mic today     

Posted Images

3 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Only caveat to Brentford's success is they have been very reliant on their owner investing into the club over the years. Think for the accounts upto 2018 he had committed £110m+. But to be fair the 2019 accounts that figure had dropped to around £100m (so a £10m reduction).

But putting that investment in context, their income since they got promoted it's been consistently in the bottom 5 lowest in the league, plus the club has paid for a brand new stadium (£40m approx). So although he's invested £110m+ around 30% of that investment has been in investing in the infrastructure of the club. 

Does that include wages or just player fees? 

12 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

Does that include wages or just player fees? 

That is just owner investment, of which around £70m has been used to offset their operating losses over the years. Brentford have run at a loss for a number of years, it was only on their latest accounts where they've have turned a profit, which was pretty significant.

Edit: In a roundabout way that investment will include wages and player fees.

51 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

That is just owner investment, of which around £70m has been used to offset their operating losses over the years. Brentford have run at a loss for a number of years, it was only on their latest accounts where they've have turned a profit, which was pretty significant.

Edit: In a roundabout way that investment will include wages and player fees.

So they’ve spent roughly £30-50m on players (fees) in 6 years. We spent that in one summer and spent the next couple of seasons getting shot of half of them.

3 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

I agree that Fry is vital this season, but he's only missed 4 games in total so it's a bit of a small pool to draw conclusions from.

He's missed Watford, Nottingham Forest, Rotherham and Brentford.

We were fine defensively against Watford, beat Forest, it's only the last two where we've been exposed.

Funny that.

You can understand losing at home to Brentford. Getting beat 3-0 by Rotherham is a bit harder to explain.

4 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

So they’ve spent roughly £30-50m on players (fees) in 6 years. We spent that in one summer and spent the next couple of seasons getting shot of half of them.

Sounds about right. Their methodology is bearing fruit now, after the initial 4/5 seasons at running at a constant loss (propped up by their owner). They are now in a situation of being able to turn a profit and repay significant chunks of that investment back.

I was quite encouraged by that performance. We've got actual attacking threats out wide. Forget the score line. The team was always going to look a little unbalanced once we brought in attacking players as we've been so used to having to generate creativity from our full backs, centre midfield or faux wide men. Once we get the balance right with the attacking wide men and adjust our defensive positioning/shape accordingly, we'll look like a half decent team. Very encouraging.

Edited by Humpty
Terrible grammar
  • Like 5
17 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I was quite encouraged by that performance. We've got actually attacking threats out wide. Forget the score line. The team was always going to look a little unbalanced once we brought in attacking players as we've been so used to have to generate creativity from our full backs, centre midfield or faux wide men. Once we get the balance right with those attacking players and defensive duties, we'll look like a half decent team. Very encouraging.

Not sure we allow this kind of positively on oneBoro 😉

image.gif.5e5f9cbe462f012c82d7329015f8487e.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Humpty said:

I was quite encouraged by that performance. We've got actual attacking threats out wide. Forget the score line. The team was always going to look a little unbalanced once we brought in attacking players as we've been so used to having to generate creativity from our full backs, centre midfield or faux wide men. Once we get the balance right with the attacking wide men and adjust our defensive positioning/shape accordingly, we'll look like a half decent team. Very encouraging.

I hope so, I just looked at the championship current form table and we are in 22nd place. 

18 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I hope so, I just looked at the championship current form table and we are in 22nd place. 

And yet were still in 7th place. No other league in the world could you go on that run of form and not have moved position at all.

• Like 1

i agree with recent posts, i didnt react to this defeat to brentford as a humiliating defeatdespite shipping 4 goals which always seems a serious ly poor deficit verging on thrashing. the transfer window was encouraging in that we seemed to get things done more clinically than the usual . im actually happy that we have enough options to shape a half decent promotion chasing team now but still feel we need to add a central defender and another keeper. oh and a striker that hits a purple patch wouldnt go amiss either, god knows weve had more than our fair share of prolific strikers that have malfunctioned once here. 

file this in the suprisingly optomistic box with my new mate Humptys post.

I have only seen the highlights so I'll have to just hope that those with positive things to say are right. But it was not fun to look at those highlights. Our defence was almost as bad as the pitch! And am I the only one who thinks that McNair is starting to show that he is not really a defender? I'd much rather see him in midfield. It was only highlights but those 10 minutes showed horrorshows from Saville and McNair. Important game against Rooney County on saturday. Need to win that one. 5 points off playoffs and we can't really afford to lose much more ground if we want to get in there.

2 hours ago, Borodane said:

I have only seen the highlights so I'll have to just hope that those with positive things to say are right. But it was not fun to look at those highlights. Our defence was almost as bad as the pitch! And am I the only one who thinks that McNair is starting to show that he is not really a defender? I'd much rather see him in midfield. It was only highlights but those 10 minutes showed horrorshows from Saville and McNair. Important game against Rooney County on saturday. Need to win that one. 5 points off playoffs and we can't really afford to lose much more ground if we want to get in there.

I think even if we did do a job on Derby and went on a bit of a run our lapses and inconsistency would undoubtedly shoot us in the foot eventually. Those Rotherham, Wednesday, Blackburn and Birmingham games killed us.

I was reading the article today about Grant auctioning his promotion shirt to raise funds for Graeme Lee's wife and it just struck a chord with me that when he was here he was the Club Captain. He rallied the players and led from the front, he was a leader both on and off the pitch and set the standard expected (or even demanded).

Looking back through the better Boro sides of recent decades and the same thing shines through, we had a clear identifiable Club Captain whether it was during Rioch's era, Jack Charlton's or McClaren there was a "Leader" not just someone who wore an armband but a true leader.

• Like 2