oneBoro Forum

Derby v Boro 2-1 (Kebano)

I'm not stressing too much on this season, it's January and NW has maybe got the sort of team he wants, I'd be happy with knocking on the door if the play offs and going for it next season.  Obviously I'd like to see us play nice football but this year is just building with the view to challenging next season.  

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Derby v Boro. 13th February 2021. 15:00. Pride Park.     Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen to the second edition of Choose your own Boroventure! Some of you may remember, many years ag

There is almost zero chance of this happening going by past behaviour from Gibson. He will be happy with finishing top half with his mate, just like he was with pulis. Also like with pulis, he's going

I tried 17 times and couldn’t get past the fit bitch on reception 🤷‍♂️

Posted Images

Normally wouldn’t really feel confident with that team, but we are playing Derby and they are ***, so hopefully the miss of Fry isn’t to important. Think they’ve only scored something like 7 goals from open play this season.

(sorry)

1 minute ago, Blanco said:

Don’t get the complaining about the midfield 3. It’s top notch for this division. Saville to get on the scoresheet today

I think it's because Warnock has more options to drop a midfielder and go for a more offensively minded line-up, but still hasn't. 

Against a Derby team placed 22nd in the League you'd expect we would play with more than 3 "attacking" players.

Does anyone know extent of Bolasie injury? Has there been any updates. Sorry if it has been mentioned in previous post but my internet is playing up and its took me 10 minutes to get this far. I am now hoping this message sends.

1 minute ago, Blanco said:

Don’t get the complaining about the midfield 3. It’s top notch for this division. Saville to get on the scoresheet today

It's so imbalanced, for me.

You've got Howson sat in front of the defence but he's also the most creative player in there, certainly the best player on the ball but he's also not in any way a 'Pirlo' kind of player. Saville is feisty and I actually like him in there as I think he can bag the odd goal here and there too but he's not particularly creative, nor is he good coming forward with the ball, he's a pretty awkward dribbler.

But Morsy in particular, what is he there for? His best attributes when playing for Wigan were playing in the same position Howson does now, weren't they? But we have him playing box-to-box when he's absolutely rubbish at the top end of the pitch. His shooting is atrocious and he's had plenty of chances this season. Also, he's either sitting and helping Howson out and getting daft bookings despite having the game in front of him or he's too far up the pitch, contributing very little up there and leaving gaps behind him. He can't win and I don't even think it's really his fault, I think we're selling him a bit short to be honest.

It feels like to me when watching them that we're asking them sometimes to do jobs they're not particularly good at doing. Which makes them look worse as individual players and then worse as a unit. I think there's more than enough individual qualities in each of them to make a decent midfield two out of any two of them and we could sacrifice them getting forward as much in order to put an extra man closer to the striker who's actually better with the ball at his feet. Watmore, Kebano, Tav, I think any of them could play in front of a duo involving Howson, Sav and/or Morsy.

7 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I think it's because Warnock has more options to drop a midfielder and go for a more offensively minded line-up, but still hasn't. 

Against a Derby team placed 22nd in the League you'd expect we would play with more than 3 "attacking" players.

Warnock wants to play 433, he has since he got here. I suspect with the way our midfield plays, if you were to ask him he would consider Saville as an attacking player too and arguably probably the other CM, who for some reason is usually Morsy. 

He's not going to change formation now he's got enough players to play his 433.

12 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Top notch! Can't string 2 passes together between them. No control of the midfield, no pace, no goals. Dire!

12 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I’d be interested to know our win /draw/loss stats with those three playing together. It feels to me like they will be worse than where we are at. 

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

It's so imbalanced, for me.

You've got Howson sat in front of the defence but he's also the most creative player in there, certainly the best player on the ball but he's also not in any way a 'Pirlo' kind of player. Saville is feisty and I actually like him in there as I think he can bag the odd goal here and there too but he's not particularly creative, nor is he good coming forward with the ball, he's a pretty awkward dribbler.

But Morsy in particular, what is he there for? His best attributes when playing for Wigan were playing in the same position Howson does now, weren't they? But we have him playing box-to-box when he's absolutely rubbish at the top end of the pitch. His shooting is atrocious and he's had plenty of chances this season. Also, he's either sitting and helping Howson out and getting daft bookings despite having the game in front of him or he's too far up the pitch, contributing very little up there and leaving gaps behind him. He can't win and I don't even think it's really his fault, I think we're selling him a bit short to be honest.

It feels like to me when watching them that we're asking them sometimes to do jobs they're not particularly good at doing. Which makes them look worse as individual players and then worse as a unit. I think there's more than enough individual qualities in each of them to make a decent midfield two out of any two of them and we could sacrifice them getting forward as much in order to put an extra man closer to the striker who's actually better with the ball at his feet. Watmore, Kebano, Tav, I think any of them could play in front of a duo involving Howson, Sav and/or Morsy.

This is the one thing that confuses me with this midfield. IMO it would look 100x better if you swap Howson and Morsy as Morsy can clean up and Howson is infinitely better with the ball at his feet than Samy is.

• Like 1

I think in Warnock's mind he can push Saville up with the belief he can get goals (lets face it he seems to be getting on the end of more balls into the box than Britt at the moment) while at the same time withdraw him to scrap and battle. Another factor may be that with Fry out he maybe wants the midfield to form a shield. 

I'm more concerned about Bettinelli and Britt than I am Saville.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JMC91 said:

Everyone else got Radio Derby on the stream? I thought we'd got Tees back for away games now, might be wrong though?

It's still home commentary only for the foreseeable. 

Not bothered this week, BBC Tees was shocking against Brentford.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JMC91 said:

Everyone else got Radio Derby on the stream? I thought we'd got Tees back for away games now, might be wrong though?

Nope for all away games we have their commentary as BBC don't want the commentary teams traveling