oneBoro Forum

Boro v Huddersfield 2-1 (Watmore, Fletcher pen)

9 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Not a red in my eyes. Perhaps another angle would clear it up though.

Well, based solely on that footage, I would say thats never a red. A yellow at most and that would be harsh IMO.

The Huddersfield player over-reacted to make it look worse than it was. If he'd really been caught with the studs, he'd have stayed down, nursing his leg. As it was, he didn't even go to ground.

Bad decision by the ref who was close enough to see it.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just preparing myself for the game    

I'm at that point where I don't even think the team selection really matters- as long as we play hoof ball it doesn't matter who is in the team. That said, because we play hoof ball we certainly

I agree with @Borodane, the second half was very poor. We looked comfortable in the first 20mins or so of it but we had absolutely no intention of getting that extra goal. From about the 65th min they

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

Although he looked a bit shaky in parts, i thought he made quite a few key saves in the game to keep us in it

I’d agree with that. He’s been unreliable over the past month or two and i don’t think it’s unfair to say some of the criticism he’s received is just, but he had no chance of saving that free kick. The wall is there to protect that side of the goal. If the taker gets it over the wall at pace then there’s not a lot you can do about it as a keeper.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Not a red in my eyes. Perhaps another angle would clear it up though.

Its strange as it looks like he was in control but does look like he shows his studs anf may even have brought his second leg forward. Cant see it being over turned. 

2 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well, based solely on that footage, I would say thats never a red. A yellow at most and that would be harsh IMO.

The Huddersfield player over-reacted to make it look worse than it was. If he'd really been caught with the studs, he'd have stayed down, nursing his leg. As it was, he didn't even go to ground.

Bad decision by the ref who was close enough to see it.

You’ve seen the photo though? You know he’s caught the lad with his studs. 

2 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I’d agree with that. He’s been unreliable over the past month or two and i don’t think it’s unfair to say some of the criticism he’s received is just, but he had no chance of saving that free kick. The wall is there to protect that side of the goal. If the taker gets it over the wall at pace then there’s not a lot you can do about it as a keeper.

Yeah haha. Up and over like that, there was some serious pace. Not many would have got that

1 hour ago, Humpty said:

Scrap that...

Picture give's you an idea of why he was given a red.

Picture taken from FMTTM.

5ED4EC4F-BA74-4E32-8E1D-54CE0470422D.jpeg

Dangerous tackle with a lot of force behind it = red card

I know it is inconclusive from the angle shown in the highlights (I couldn't decide whether he'd made contact with the player, but thought it was a red if he had), but that photo is pretty clear. 

12 minutes ago, Humpty said:

You’ve seen the photo though? You know he’s caught the lad with his studs. 

But based on the video footage the contact was minimal. If he'd really been hurt he'd have gone down and stayed down. The Huddersfield player's reaction looked like a poor attempt to con the ref...and he fell for it.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, White Band said:

Dangerous tackle with a lot of force behind it = red card

I know it is inconclusive from the angle shown in the highlights (I couldn't decide whether he'd made contact with the player, but thought it was a red if he had), but that photo is pretty clear. 

Is it though? 
paddy was coming from the goal line straight out. This means he wasn’t going straight into their player, even though that’s what the photo makes you think. With the direction he’s going in, he either slides past their player, or if their player moves his leg forward, then he hits it - which is probably what happened. But is that Paddy’s fault? You can’t go for the ball thinking about where the opposition player MIGHT move to. Also his right foot is angled down. Yes studs are showing, but his foot is almost on top of his left leg, it couldn’t get much lower.

it may be a red card technically, but he’s terribly unlucky if it is.

• Like 1

Dangerous play, definite red card. Its in the rules.

image.png.7aeaf96d6f7402df2922ec3babbfcd1c.png

Of course those rules are open for interpretation (or ignoring)

Watching it real time it looked 2 footed and could be seen as out of control. I can see why it was given but it was certainly harsh and just refer to above picture for further reinforcement! 

As it happens I didnt watch the game. Sounds like I saved myself some high blood pressure!

2 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

It's not fake no, but it is just a still photo, taken from one angle. It's still inconclusive as to what happened.

It’s a photo taken from an angle that isn’t covered by a camera. You can’t pick and choose which evidence you use to make an assessment of an incident. 

1 hour ago, ScarBoro said:

Looks clear as a rule doesn’t it? However, what happens when the ball is loose and the player “lunges” at the ball and the opponent moves across to try to recover it? The tackler hasn’t lunged at the opponent, but ends up getting opponent as well. 
seems to me that’s what happened last night. Ball had been knocked sideways by opponent and McNair saw it clearly and did lunge in a bit to get it. Opponent tried to recover at same time and ended up where McNair was sliding in.

The difference is minimal really, what's the difference between this and the Branthwaite one if you're talking about whether he was lunging at an opponent? Not by the letter of the law maybe but I'd say in terms of judging if he was lunging at an opponent, this one is actually worse than Branthwaite's as he didn't actually have a clue where Fry was, he was watching the ball the whole way but caught him.