oneBoro Forum

Boro v Huddersfield 2-1 (Watmore, Fletcher pen)

I’m not picking and choosing anything. The video shows McNair diving into a tackle with his studs showing but takes the ball. The picture confirms he catches the man as well. It’s not difficult.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just preparing myself for the game    

I'm at that point where I don't even think the team selection really matters- as long as we play hoof ball it doesn't matter who is in the team. That said, because we play hoof ball we certainly

I agree with @Borodane, the second half was very poor. We looked comfortable in the first 20mins or so of it but we had absolutely no intention of getting that extra goal. From about the 65th min they

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I don’t understand why you’re discounting the photo? It’s not fake.

I don't recall ever saying it was.

I suppose if you're going by the letter of the law it was a studs-up challenge and therefore dictates a red card.

But as we all know the rules of football don't always make sense or result in fair / proportionate punishments.

Thats why refs should use their common sense...sadly not many seem to have any.

24 minutes ago, White Band said:

Dangerous tackle with a lot of force behind it = red card

I know it is inconclusive from the angle shown in the highlights (I couldn't decide whether he'd made contact with the player, but thought it was a red if he had), but that photo is pretty clear. 

It's irrelevant that Mcnair is on the floor. His right foot is off the floor and he is showing studs so that's a red in itself. Plus you add the fact that it was with force and it just makes me more convinced than I initially was at the time that it was a red card.

Reckless and unnecessary tackle but least it gets us the chance to see how Hall and Fry to together for a few games 👍

9 minutes ago, Humpty said:

I’m not picking and choosing anything. The video shows McNair diving into a tackle with his studs showing but takes the ball. The picture confirms he catches the man as well. It’s not difficult.

The picture doesn't confirm anything, though.

(Neither does the video footage)

The photo only goes to confirm what I kind of thought when I saw the challenge, I wasn't overly convinced either way but both Morsy and McNair's challenges yesterday definitely made me want to see them back as I thought initially they could both be reds.

Seeing it now, I'm kind of surprised people can't use the photo and the highlights to see that he has caught the player with the studs of his right boot. This is a still from those highlights, put that with the picture above and I can't see how, in a million years, that gets overturned.

And whilst selfishly I'd much prefer McNair to actually be available for the next game, I really don't think we should be hoping that appeals get turned over by technicalities of who said or thought what at the time between the ref and linesman as opposed to what actually happened. Branthwaite got away with the one against us both at the time and retrospectively because of crap laws.

image.png

4 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

The picture doesn't confirm anything, though.

(Neither does the video footage)

I don’t know what you’re talking about mate. You’ve proper bamboozled me. 

6 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

It's irrelevant that Mcnair is on the floor. His right foot is off the floor and he is showing studs so that's a red in itself. Plus you add the fact that it was with force and it just makes me more convinced than I initially was at the time that it was a red card.

Reckless and unnecessary tackle but least it gets us the chance to see how Hall and Fry to together for a few games 👍

McNair will only be out for 1 game won't he? I don't think it will count as violent conduct as he's obviously going for the ball.

• Like 2

While the photo looks damning, I understand what DZ is saying, which is that photos can be misleading. Take it from a weird angle and you could end up with a photo that looks much worse than the actual incident actually was. 

In this case, I'm not sure. I thought it was a soft red at the time and still do I think, but it was a silly tackle to make. Wouldn't be surprised to see it overturned based on how it was given, but ultimately if McNair has to sit for a game, so be it. Will only be a 1 game ban for a red like that so not a huge deal.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, KeithLambsFaxMachine said:

That's a pretty misleading photo, IMO. From that angle, it looks like he's sliding towards the leg (which would be a leg breaker), but he's actually sliding towards the camera. Only takes the ball from what I could see on the video. 

Great tackle, I'd say.

Yeah, this is what I've been trying (and obviously failing) to say!

• Like 1
Just now, Brunners said:

Also I know he's biased but Warnock was pretty confident post game that Paddy didn't even touch the player, let alone deserve a red.

Well the ref wasn't going to send Paddy off initially either, I don't see how that doesn't get overturned.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Also I know he's biased but Warnock was pretty confident post game that Paddy didn't even touch the player, let alone deserve a red.

Heh. I think there was definitely contact, but Paddy tapped his ankle at worst.

For a studs up challenge it looked quite well controlled and one of the least dangerous ones I've ever seen.

Its also a great illustration of how the laws of the game can be absolutely ridiculous...and why we need officials capable of exercising well-considered judgement.

Again I'll go back to Fry's injury. That ref gave absolutely nothing...yet Paddy gets sent off for an ankle-tap, simply because the studs on one foot are showing.

Bloody idiotic if you ask me.