oneBoro Forum

Boro v Huddersfield 2-1 (Watmore, Fletcher pen)

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just preparing myself for the game    

I'm at that point where I don't even think the team selection really matters- as long as we play hoof ball it doesn't matter who is in the team. That said, because we play hoof ball we certainly

I agree with @Borodane, the second half was very poor. We looked comfortable in the first 20mins or so of it but we had absolutely no intention of getting that extra goal. From about the 65th min they

Posted Images

I don't know if this was mentioned at any point during or after the game but worth saying that whilst Watmore's goal came from a great deal of individual skill and technique... it also came from a long punt by Bettinelli and a flick on by Fletcher. We bypassed the lines with a long ball, the striker actually won the flick-on for a change and it lead to a position where arguably Huddersfield's best defender Naby Sarr was lost out on the left trying to cover Watmore.

Whilst Bettinelli's kicking comes in for some less than favourable comments (and rightly so), he found his man and more importantly, the man he found didn't waste it because he can't win headers. Fletcher didn't look match fit during the game for the most part but just being on the pitch and winning that header with his fellow forward buzzing around picking up the space took us from defence to attack and gave Watmore a chance of working his magic.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't know if this was mentioned at any point during or after the game but worth saying that whilst Watmore's goal came from a great deal of individual skill and technique... it also came from a long punt by Bettinelli and a flick on by Fletcher. We bypassed the lines with a long ball, the striker actually won the flick-on for a change and it lead to a position where arguably Huddersfield's best defender Naby Sarr was lost out on the left trying to cover Watmore.

Whilst Bettinelli's kicking comes in for some less than favourable comments (and rightly so), he found his man and more importantly, the man he found didn't waste it because he can't win headers. Fletcher didn't look match fit during the game for the most part but just being on the pitch and winning that header with his fellow forward buzzing around picking up the space took us from defence to attack and gave Watmore a chance of working his magic.

Step your game up Wilson! 😂

On 2/16/2021 at 8:20 PM, DanFromDownSouth said:

Great goal! Interesting that once we get someone around the lone striker (Fletcher), Watmore wins the 2nd ball and goes on a ridiculous run with a quality curling finish at the end. 

On 2/16/2021 at 9:58 PM, DanFromDownSouth said:

1 big difference for me that won us the game, actually having someone alongside the striker, the first goal comes from Fletcher doing well to get something on the ball over, and Watmore being close by and gathering the loose ball. 

• Thanks 1

Fair @DanFromDownSouth, I didn't see that. 😅

Indeed, it's not just about the individual ability of Fletcher to win that ball, it's also about the way we had Watmore set up around him and arguably, that's the position he was playing in when he first came in and made an impact on us. Unlike the other day when he was stuck out on one wing with no service. People putting more credence to the idea that he'd just switched off now he's got his contract than whether we actually tactically give him a chance in the game.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Fair @DanFromDownSouth, I didn't see that. 😅

Indeed, it's not just about the individual ability of Fletcher to win that ball, it's also about the way we had Watmore set up around him and arguably, that's the position he was playing in when he first came in and made an impact on us. Unlike the other day when he was stuck out on one wing with no service. People putting more credence to the idea that he'd just switched off now he's got his contract than whether we actually tactically give him a chance in the game.

Yeah I agree regarding Watmore. I said pre-game if we are going to continue playing the same way, we need to have 2 up top or at the very least ask our wide players to come more centrally. Otherwise the striker is completely isolated and balls up to him are just picked off and second balls swept up. 

It's a great goal, but it is suspicious that Bettinelli was looking in the completely opposite direction to the way the ball went.

Either he's trying to trick defenders from the opposite end of the pitch or he shanked it.

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Well there's nothing wrong with direct play, if someone spots a potential gap in the opposition defence...or if its a change of tactic because we're getting nowhere trying to play through the other team.

Its when it becomes the go-to tactic and is easily spotted / predicted and countered by the other team.