oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bristol City 1-3 (Fry)

6 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

I dunno if it's a coaching thing or not and I know we did ok earlier in the season as a 3 at the back but since reverting to it McNair and Djiksteels positioning as been all over the shot. 

Now that Fry is back imo we should we going back to a flat 4 (that was the best defence in the league). 

I'm not going to slate Fisher as he seems a solid enough championship right back, but he isn't a wing back and the back 5 thing seems to be about making sure he starts from what I can see?

Thats the really puzzling thing. Some games we look pretty solid and actually do keep clean sheets.

Then we have games like last night...

Besides the coaching, could it also be the player and formation changes?

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I swear to God, some of you guys love to swim around in all the agony.  Some of you even swim around on your backs, using a straw to take small sips from the Lake of Agony, then guggeling the nice war

As long as we give him the best boots. 

I for one hope Warnock stays next season. Majority of people were happy/expected mid table when he took over. Now we are there and achieving that, you all want him out?  This squad isn’t very good,

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Thats the really puzzling thing. Some games we look pretty solid and actually do keep clean sheets.

Then we have games like last night...

Besides the coaching, could it also be the player and formation changes?

I think there is a mix of things happening with the back line.

McNair and Djik are learning the role of centre back on the job.

They are going to make mistakes - to a lesser extent it’s the same with Fry. In an ideal world he has a good senior pro next to him to coach him through the game. I thought he was poor on the first two goals last night.

I do think it’s slightly unfair to be switching them from a 4 to essentially a 3 at the back.

In a 3 the CB’s really needs to be able to read the game and anticipate the attack. Our back line is reactive and gets moved about by clever strikers. Again though they are learning.

A big loss in the 5 is the 3 man shield isn’t there. Last night there was loads of room in the middle of the pitch and simple through balls beat the midfield and defence.

Some of this comes from our insistence to man mark. OppositionS have learnt to move our defence around and cut out the midfield. 

I also wonder if the short preseason is having an effect. Could be a lot of mental fatigue there. Difficult end of season, short preseason, small squad and game after game could all be having an effect.

• Thanks 1

The annoying thing is that the soft goals didn't come about because we were chasing the game, we'd been embarassingly opened up at the back at 0-0 on a number of occasions.

The defending made absolutely no sense last night.

• Like 2

Have to say I am livid with Warnock's comments post match, and with the Gazette for not questioning them.

"Again Warnock was left wishing he had another team's striker" - then why did we spend all summer chasing Chuba Akpom, his 'top target', and end up shelling 3m on him during a pandemic?!

Complaining he hasn't got the tools when he went out and bought the wrong one! Yet again we sign another utter waste of space for relatively big money and then bemoan that our horrible, negative style of play doesn't bring out the best in them.

At my wit's end, I really am. Warnock gets away with murder with both the press and our fan base, all because he's a good public speaker.

Edit: and some people want him to be director of football when he retires! I can't think of anything worse.

Edited by Smokedsalmon
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

The annoying thing is that the soft goals didn't come about because we were chasing the game, we'd been embarassingly opened up at the back at 0-0 on a number of occasions.

The defending made absolutely no sense last night.

The fact Warnock had a go at the strikers is baffling.

48 minutes ago, Blanco said:

No no @AnglianRed this can’t be true. Do you not know that a good defence is not required at all. The experts say that must mean you only want dinosaur football if you defend your goal. 11 attack minded centre forwards is all that’s needed. Score more than the opposition. How could it possibly go wrong 🤷‍♂️

Were playing with the 3 centre backs that you wanted all season, and it's still not working. Those goals last night came from lapses of concentration, not because of us trying to attack too much. Were playing with two holding midfielders on top of 3 centre backs!

15 minutes ago, Smokedsalmon said:

Have to say I am livid with Warnock's comments post match, and with the Gazette for not questioning them.

"Again Warnock was left wishing he had another team's striker" - then why did we spend all summer chasing Chuba Akpom, his 'top target', and end up shelling 3m on him during a pandemic?!

Complaining he hasn't got the tools when he went out and bought the wrong one! Yet again we sign another utter waste of space for relatively big money and then bemoan that our horrible, negative style of play doesn't bring out the best in them.

At my wit's end, I really am. Warnock gets away with murder with both the press and our fan base, all because he's a good public speaker.

Edit: and some people want him to be director of football when he retires! I can't think of anything worse.

He's signed 11 players since he joined us. The cheek of the man to still complain he hasn't got what he needs.

Blaming a lack of strikers is a deflection tactic. 

We defended awfully last night and they opened us up several times in the first half. 

Sometimes as a manager you get it wrong and sometimes your team plays badly. Just take it on the chin and move on. 

Just now, Duvel said:

Blaming a lack of strikers is a deflection tactic. 

We defended awfully last night and then opened us up several times in the first half. 

Sometimes as a manager you get it wrong and sometimes your team plays badly. Just take it on the chin and move on. 

He has not once accepted that we were beaten due to him getting it wrong.

It's always the ref. Has a go at them before the game even starts! No wonder we never get a decision when he is so consistently aggressive towards them.

Then it's the injuries - "I wish I had my full team" he says a week after signing 3 new players!

Or it's the pitch. Or the weather. Or that the moon's didn't align.

Man's nothing but a walking box of excuses. Treating the club like a final holiday before retirement. Get rid.

• Like 2

If we are to stick the 3 at the back,i would like to see Mc Nair,Fry & Hall,Dijks at right wing back & Bola on the left, Hall would bring that experience & Dijks is a much better fit on the right.

1 minute ago, Smokedsalmon said:

He has not once accepted that we were beaten due to him getting it wrong.

It's always the ref. Has a go at them before the game even starts! No wonder we never get a decision when he is so consistently aggressive towards them.

Then it's the injuries - "I wish I had my full team" he says a week after signing 3 new players!

Or it's the pitch. Or the weather. Or that the moon's didn't align.

Man's nothing but a walking box of excuses. Treating the club like a final holiday before retirement. Get rid.

I don't like the ref thing, fair enough once in a blue moon everyone is entitled to feel hard done by but not every other week. 

People complain about the standard of refereeing nowadays but who in their right mind would want to get into that profession with the total lack of disrespect that they get. 

• Like 1

Is there anyone who still thinks that Warnock is the right manager?

He throws his team under the bus, moans about not having the right players (even though he’s signed an entire teams worth), he plays a long ball game that is totally down to chance and doesn’t suit the players that we have and spends the whole match screaming at the ref instead of at the players. 

I really don’t understand the love for Warnock, can someone please explain why he has so much adulation on this message board (and on fmttm). When he was first appointed I got slated for saying that he’s another in a long line of poor appointments, if anything, he’s worse than I thought he would be. We need to get someone in before next season starts so that he can evaluate the players we have and get them playing football.

We need a proper plan and a decent manager, I’m sick of this club spending a fortune on unneeded players and then promising that things will be better once we get them off the wage bill, it’s farcical. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Is there anyone who still thinks that Warnock is the right manager?

He throws his team under the bus, moans about not having the right players (even though he’s signed an entire teams worth), he plays a long ball game that is totally down to chance and doesn’t suit the players that we have and spends the whole match screaming at the ref instead of at the players. 

I really don’t understand the love for Warnock, can someone please explain why he has so much adulation on this message board (and on fmttm). When he was first appointed I got slated for saying that he’s another in a long line of poor appointments, if anything, he’s worse than I thought he would be. We need to get someone in before next season starts so that he can evaluate the players we have and get them playing football.

We need a proper plan and a decent manager, I’m sick of this club spending a fortune on unneeded players and then promising that things will be better once we get them off the wage bill, it’s farcical. 

With Gibsons decision making im not sure it gets much better than this.

Forget about a long term plan itll never happen. Compared to Woodgate he looks like a genius and his football is better to watch than Pulis' (i know that bar is low). 

At this level he has a good track record of getting teams up so I'm guessing a few people are overlooking the football being not the most attractive if he gets results. 

I think we are still a season away and a few players away from being a promotion contender with Warnock and what's the alternative? Downing as manager next?  

37 minutes ago, Duvel said:

With Gibsons decision making im not sure it gets much better than this.

Forget about a long term plan itll never happen. Compared to Woodgate he looks like a genius and his football is better to watch than Pulis' (i know that bar is low). 

At this level he has a good track record of getting teams up so I'm guessing a few people are overlooking the football being not the most attractive if he gets results. 

I think we are still a season away and a few players away from being a promotion contender with Warnock and what's the alternative? Downing as manager next?  

I don't get why so many on here think the only 2 options are a long ball defensive hoof merchant like Pulis or Warnock or a young guy with no experience and local connections like Woodgate.

Why don't we show some bloody ambition and find someone is successful playing a attractive brand of football? You aren't telling me that throughout the smaller European leagues there isn't a whole host of managers being successful and resorting to men behind the ball tactics. 

• Like 1